1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what are vision problems often infants can get

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sakshi2, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sakshi2

sakshi2 New IL'ite

hello all
    my sister son is one month old,he had dark yellow puss in his eyes
    they took him to the doctor..he told that..he doesnt've a nerve which should be connected frm eyes to nose and has given some eye drops for ten days..
    does anybody has this problem..

what the problem would be..is it so serious..we are tensed..will he get any vision problem in future..
    please give me suggestions

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

sakshi,
    Was the baby delivered normally?If yes then , there is nothing to worry nor serious.It is a common problem and keeping the eyes clean and using drops will rectify.

3. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hi Sakshi,
    As supriya said its nothing to worry about. Both of my daughter's had that when they were born, they were born via c-section. Its actually called a blocked tear duct, not a nerve missing...normally the tear duct secretes tears which cleans the eye, in babies sometimes the tear duct is blocked so dirt gets collected in the corner of the eye. It will usually open by itself after a little while, about 6 months or so. Never clean the eye with your fingers, always with a clean cloth and warm water. You can use the tear drops, however they didn't help my older one. Her tear ducts opened up by themself. I used to massage both of their eyes, a trick my pead showed me. Hope this helps you.. Congrats on the new addition to the family

dp

4. sakshi2

sakshi2 New IL'ite

heyy
    thank you very much for your replies..am happy to know that nothing much worried..bcz we were so scared and my sis was so sad..he born via c-section..not normal delivary..and that too when my sis was pregnant..my dad's health was not good..sshe was not at all happy during the 9 month period..so we were worried..again thank you very much really helpful answer..

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

As desiprincess said it is a blocked tear duct - this is a very common thing in infants. Usually appears as yellow mucousy discharge from eyes and it sometimes gets crusted. The first time doctors will prescribe erythromycin antibiotic. Gently massage the area between the eye and the bridge of the nose with a clean finger tip.

My 6 month old also had the same thing - at first I thought he had conjuctivities. But then doctor said it is the blocked tear duct. It should resolve iy itself within 9th month. Even if it does not, a simple procedure can open it up.

Also it has nothing to do with c-section or normal delivery.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to add to desiprincess and pavarun's posts: ask yr sis not to let the child cry for long and not to put her under fan directly. always helped us when tear ducts were blocked.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009