What are "Vasanas" ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    This depends purely on the nature of vasanas.
    We need not eliminate if they are good.
    Negative vasanas like a weakness for alcohol, smoking, womanising should all be done away with for one's own benefit, using free-will.
    But good vasanas like an ear for music, interest in arts, sports etc can be pursued.
    Spiritual progress is not the criterion - a good quality life in harmony with society is.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

Would being Possesive and Jealous, be a bad vasanas or do they come under different category? Actually I would like to know some more list of bad vasanas.

3. Chitvish

Dear Madhu,
    I am giving you my reply within my limitations, call them parametres !
    Vasana is that which produces the inherent nature.Vasanas produce intellect which in turn comprehend thought, desire & action.
    We must always select a field conducive to our vasanas, for our action.Only choosing a field compatible to our nature will promote our growth, both materially & emotionally.
    Next, we must execute the right actions in life.We must also direct them properly without likes and dislikes. Here, we must make sure that jealousy, possessiveness etc do not hinder us.
    Intellectual judgement should guide us than emotional impulse. But, Madhu, it is not at all easy. We are more human than we think we are.So, do not ever think, it is all that easy at all.Le us remember that we are always answerable to our own inner conscience. That is more important than anything else .
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra m'am:

Thanks for clearing the doubt. As much as I would like to let you know the cause of my confusion, I think I will let the topic be for the time being - it will probably cause more confusion!

I sure will be looking forward to your next thread.

Sindhu

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you dear Chithra
    Your reply to me is very clear also glad to read your reply to Madhu
    In my question I should have been more clear. I was only referring to negative vasanas
    In this I have one more to ask
    Say for example I am addicted to alcohol. I can see that it is wrong, bad etc but have great difficulty giving up
    So if I do give up, does it completely clear the system NO. it will not. there will be traces of it left behind, Traces of craving left behind. Its like the vessel which we cook one dish will leave a smell behind.
    So how do we eliminate the trace?
    Please reply when you find time.
    Regards

6. Chitvish

Dear AC,
    Eliminating the trace is entirely in our hands ! It has to be done purely by determination & strong will.
    Suppose, I am lazy, for example. Only I have to correct myself, making a conscious decision. Very often, we just allow things to drift & just do not bother to come out of it.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs. Chith,
    I did read the 'vasanas' today.
    From what I had understood, it is the past experiences--(which leads to action (Karma), either good or bad), is a 'vasana', that is, the scent carried from our previous births.(poorva janma puniyam or papam?)
    It is only through 'knowledge' we can get rid of those 'vasanas', rightly said.

sriniketan

8. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    Welcome back to my forum. I did miss you, goes without saying !
    Karmas & vasanas are different.
    Karmas are the results of our previous janma actions.
    Vasanas are the "imprints" of previous janma (as if they are carried over!).
    You will understand as we proceed.
    Thanks, B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith
    You have explained beautifully about the vasanas. By saying vasana is the seed of action you have made clear the major role played by vasanas in our life. So it is necessary for all of us to overcome the unpleasant vasanas. Looking forward for your next post.
    Love
    Vidhi

10. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    I am so used to your FB that I was really wondering what happened to you !
    Thanks, Vidhi.IIn brief, karma is the result of action & vasana is the seed of action. This ofcourse, is a general statement !
    Love,
    Chith.