1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what are u feeding your 6-9 month old?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, May 26, 2010.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks!!, your menu is great!, makes me want to visit your place for dinner ;)

Cooks.

1 person likes this.
  4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

When did you ladies start giving food with texture, for now I just puree things and sometimes mash with a potato masher.

I have started giving pureed lumpy food (not so watery as before),but not chunks or texture.

Cooks.

5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Ramya when you say rasam rice, sambar,veg kurma are you giving the same food that you eat? Same spice level?can babies handle it? When did you start?

6. ramyaramani

@Cooks With DD I started textures at 6.5 months. She had purees for only 15 days. With DS, purees were no-go from start. So introduced textures at 7 months which is when he actually started eating solids.

@Rose We don't eat lot of spice on a regular basis. Sambar, rasam etc..I have maintained regular spice level. For side dishes or veggies I have toned down the spice level i.e. instead of keeping 2 green chillies I would use 1. I also add ghee to his food. I started giving regular table food at 9 months. I started the same for my DD too when she was 9 months old. Both my kids were able to handle it.

1 person likes this.
  7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

@ramya: when did you start giving fresh green chillies, garlic, ginger in foods. I have just started adding pepper to veggies, she seems fine, didn't seem to notice. I also added chilli powder to kichdi, will see how she reacts.

Cooks.

8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

@ ramya: When you mentioned you gave sambhar at 7 months, was it the same sambhar adults ate. Did it include curry leaves, mustard seeds etc..or did you modify it for the baby?

Also you mentioned rasam-rice, did you give powdered rice or normal rice like what we eat at 7 months?
    thanks!!
    Cooks.

9. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

My little one wants to slurrrrp away all purees.I tried giving textures twice and she doesn't want to. She becomes slow.

10. ramyaramani

@cooks I started textures at 7 months. Regular sambar at 9 months. Yes, it was the same sambar that adults ate. Before starting sambar this is the pattern I followed:

Dal water, dal rice, pongal (incl tadka), rasam, light top layer of sambar, regular sambar.

i have never powdered or pureed. I just overcook and mash food when it is hot. Even now I overcook rice.

@rose She will take some time in getting used to textures. Yes, she will be slow. She has to learn to chew rather than gulping food.