1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are the options??

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Dinny, Sep 13, 2013.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The conduct of the daughter and the son in law is disgusting.

As for the property....
    With the best of my knowledge....(please check with a lawyer)

1)If the property was inherited,then the child/children have a right to the property.

2)If the property was given to his wife ,then it belonged to his wife. Once the property is put on someones name,it belongs to that person.

3)When a man dies without a will,the property is divided equally between his wife ,children and mother if alive (1 part to each i.e if a man has two children, a wife and a mother ,then the property gets divided into four equal parts.I part to wife and 1 each to the children and 1 to mother if alive ).

I assume it must be the same when a woman dies without a will.(not sure if mother is a heir here) If so ,the daughter and husband have equal right over the property which was in the mother/wife's name.
    I am not sure if this is applicable only to hindus or to everyone.

4)The father/parent has a right to expect her daughter to take care of him in old age because she is his legal heir .(that is the law...the people who are in line to inherit property are responsible for taking care...hence son and daughter ,not dil or son in law)
    .............................................................................................
    I think the father should get in touch with a lawyer regarding property.

As the property is inherited,he should give his daughter's share to her and keep his share with him on his name.This will reduce the heart burn and would be the right thing to do.

The property he earned himself should be in his name till he lives.

If he finds a good companion to marry ,he should get married. As for his share of property,he can decide if he wants to give it to his wife or daughter or both.As his legally married wife,his second wife would have as much right to future security. She will be much older than his daughter and if she keeps the father happy in his old age,she has more right to it and to the security it brings to her in her old age.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Vaikuntha likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is an old post. But the poster is active in this forum right now with a new thread.
    Not sure what's the progress of this thread @Denni.
    Do you still think the Father in this case needs help? Has he remarried? Has he reunited with his DD?
    Has the DD changed her mind? Got her inheritances?
    Please update.

If things haven't changed from the original story, I would suggest you to speak to the daughter.
    She has all the rights from her mother's wealth. But it has to be obviously shared between her and the dad. So, she gets 1/2 of her mother's shares for sure.
    If her dad decides to re-marry, and then eventually dies, his share (the remaining 1/2) has to be divided between her step mom and her.
    If her dad decides not to re-marry, then she will get everything after him. This way she will get 100% of her mom's wealth after her dad's demise.

Now she has the right to her parent's wealth. This way, she also has the responsibility towards their future.
    Just like demanding her inheritance, she must be also demanding to take care of her dad. So, he wouldn't have to think about a second marriage at this age.
    If she is unable to support him, let him find his own means. He is marrying after all to have a companion, not a partner for sex.