1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What are the options??

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Dinny, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hello everyone

This is about a friend who is the only daughter of her parents.
    Last year her husband lost his job here and they returned to India.But unfortunately within a month or so of her return my friend lost her mother.
    After her mother's death she has not been in good relations with her father.Her father must be close to 65 yrs old now.
    Recently my friend's father fell sick.He had to be hospitalised.It is then that everyone realised that her father needed somebody to constantly look after him.No not that hes bedridden.Hes pretty much fit.But after his wife's death he has been living alone.Doctors found out that he was not eating well and neither was he taking his medicines properly.In all he is not interested in living any more.He doesnt want a domestic help too.
    But his daughter refuses to come and stay with him.Because her children are going to a school near her in laws house.
    So everyone in their family asked my friend's father to get remarried.The daughter is dead against it.She says she cant see another woman in place of her mother.And if at all she agrees it'll be after all the property and gold is given to her.
    I heard she recently took her mother's gold and took a gold loan on it.And she claims the gold to be hers.And all the property including the house where my friend's father lives is in her mother's name.So now she wants all the property to be tranferred in her name.
    I am shocked at her reaction.I really dont know if shes doing it for the property or if shes doing it to prevent her father from getting remarried.
    But my heart still goes out to her father who is all alone and doesnt have anyone to look after him.

PS:
    My friend is also my relative

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dinny,
    Maybe the DD does not want a gold digger for a Mom, some unscrupulous woman in her forties or fifties could smell security and money and marry Dad.
    The inheritance problem is there, what if the lady has kids by previous marriage, would they get a share?
    All such legal issues should be sorted out before the marriage.

The remarriage thought is fine provided its a love/like marriage , someone known perhaps?
    The chances of love blossoming at the ripe age are rare , but mutual respect and regard can see them through.
    If DD does not want a step Mom then she should look after her Dad.
    By the way if Dad agrees then she can't stop him.

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm
    You are right.Love marriage is not a possibilty at this age.Specially when hes showing signs of depression.
    I am not even sure he'll agree for a remarriage.
    But my friend has already started behaving rudely to her father.She and her husband have been rude to him on several occassions recently.
    I Wish there was a solution to all this.

4. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Why is your friend behaving this way. She cant offer help for her aged father and wants to claim the porperty and gold. Not fair.

It is better for the father to get remarried, atleast he will have a reason to live, eat and take medicines and loneliness will not kill him.

But like flowerlady said, the distribution of assets should be set forth before marriage takes palce.

5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thanks prettydee.
    My guess is that my friend's father doesnt trust my friend's husband.
    My friend's husband has started a new business recently.And he need funds.Long back he had sold all my friend's jewellery for starting a business for his father.
    I think they should have respected the fact that my friend's father gave away all his wife's jewellery when my friend's husband needed money to start a new business.
    My friend's father doesnt want to tranfer all the property in her name because he thinks they might sell it and finally he might not be left with anything.

prettydevil likes this.
  6. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Ohh... ofcourse then he should not transfer any property to her daughter till his alive. It totally depends on him what he wants to do with it. The daughter should have no take in this.

I guess, he should take a break from all this and visit some relative or go to some tirth yatra kinds, where he gets a chance to breathe fresh atleast.

sindmani and Dinny like this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

So true.
    But he hardly visits his relatives these days.And nobody is sure if he should be allowed to go on a teerth yatra all by himself.He has been practising yoga for a long time now.

But i am shocked to see how life takes a U-turn.....all of a sudden.
    But then on a second thought these are times when men understand the importance of a wife in their lives.

2 people like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

He is not alone, there are many old aged parents or single parent facing this situation in their fag end.

Getting married again at this stage, personally I wouldn't be ready at that age definitely - that thought would never cross my mind.

It is inviting more trouble at all fronts - an ideal couple getting married at that age is next to impossible.

He has to write a will and look for an old age home. That would keep him happy for the years he is to pass further.

9. workhard

workhard Senior IL'ite

Plz dont take me wrong , re marriage at the age of 65 i dont know how far its going to work, how long period they take to adjust to each other ? my opinion is ..how about visiting old age home ? not joining into it completely but just visiting it freqently could changes his mind and visitng some orphanage and spending some time with kids there could also helps him to come out his depression ..

sindmani, rachaputi and Dinny like this.
  10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

GG
    I know what you said is the sad truth of life.
    And it hurts.

1 person likes this.