what are the benefits of having US citizenship to a new born baby?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Shrav0809, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Shrav0809

Shrav0809 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Can anyone tell abt use of having US citizenship for newborn baby. Why most of the Indian parents prefer to get delivery in US rather than in India?

Thanks

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

If the parent or parents are working in US, then I guess the baby is delivered in US - just logistics. Its not necessary to come to US (if residing in India) just for this purpose (unless in extreme cases where ppl fly for this purpose - IMO thats extreme).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Hi Shrav
    Nowadays most Indian parents in US prefer having a baby here . Mainly so the baby acquires citizenship and in future when he/she wants to study/ work/live in the US , he will get a chance to do so without having to worry about visas etc.
    Other than that i cannot think of any reason :)

4. injustice

injustice Bronze IL'ite

most of people will wantedly give birth in usa.

becase they shuld not have any future problem to enter in usa. with visas and all.

i jst know this

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

us citizens generally also don't need visitor visas to visit most countries around the world.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

So, does it mean ppl who are living/working in India regularly, take tourist visa for last month or last 2 months to give birth abroad? (only for delivery reason they travel abroad??)

Or, are you talking abt parents already working/living in US? If they are already working/residing in US, then where else will they give birth if not in the place they are living in (which is US or Australia or wherever)?

What is the situation being described here? I'm probably bit confused. Can someone explain?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. fudge

fudge Senior IL'ite

I don't think that is possible because no airlines allow ladies after their 33 week to fly and definitely no mother would take the risk of flying in her third trimester just for delivery in the US. If someone's hubby comes onsite then there are some ladies though they work in India quit and join their hubby's in their second trimester to have to US citizen.

8. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Fudge,
    I know a lady who lives in India but came to US especially for her delivery. She came on a tourist visa, stayed at her sister's place , had the baby and then went back. IMO this was a bit too extreme. Needless to say she was questioned severely by immigration authorities on her way back .

As far as people who are already working/living in USA /other countries , they do have a choice of having their babies in India where there is more support from family/friends etc , but for citizenship purpose , they prefer having the baby abroad. In the long run , it is more beneficial.

9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

gosh that is extreme! on a visitors visa she must have paid for hospital expenses out of pocket and that can be expensive (I had a csection and the hospital charged 45k ... insurance negociated down to 7k).

1 person likes this.
  10. fudge

fudge Senior IL'ite

Well I know there is no dearth of extreme people around us!!!