What are PanchaKosas?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 30, 2007.

1. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Chittu Manni,

Thanks for your reply. I guess then the sukshma sariram is a super set of the sthula sariram.. I was confused because I thought it to be something different from the former and hence kept wondering what are the other organs we didnot cover before. I will keep waiting for the other episodes to understand the concepts deeper. Honestly I feel that you are doing a great job :)

Love,
    Gayu

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    Feels good to be back....but have missed out for more than a month, that i really need to get back fast. This chapter u are discussing is so apt to what i have just experienced and trying to understand the mystery of life and death.
    Made good reading and am trying to figure out a lot in my mind.
    Thanks once again for making us think so deeply and understand our roots....sometimes i do wonder what life is all about? So these posts are real eyeopeners for such thoughts, isn't it?

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha,
    I am very happy that you are back in our fold, after all that you went through in the past one month.
    Well,Sudha, life has to go on & it does go on, as well !
    I am overwhelmed that you have dutifully sent me a prompt F B. Please do read the previous posts on Sarira thrayam, avastha thrayam etc, to understand, what all constitute anatma.
    Life is not a mystery once we understand that, we all "dissolve" in the green room of life & death, to emerge in a new role, every birth. This is not a linear process, but a cyclic process without a beginning or an end. Ofcourse, it takes a lot of maturity to understand this. We can acquire it gradually only with the help of a knowledge of vedanta.
    Please continue with me, Sudha.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  4. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam,

Beautiful explanation about Panchakosas but i think it will take some more readings to get familiarize with the terms.
    even i got the doubt that Kamla pointed out about the connection between Second chapter of Gita and Vedanta and got it cleared.

Thanks once again for making us understand in a simple way.

cheers
    sreelatha

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs. Chith, after the Krishna Jayanthi celebrations I am reading your post of Panchkosas, which I was waiting to read. I read only once. But the FB and the replies you give, makes me understand it more better. Thank you once again for your work.I am making it a point to go through each day to understand the 'terms' in Gita to fully understand it.Sriniketan

6. Chitvish

Dear Sreelatha,
    You are so dutiful in going through all the posts in this connection - I appreciate you a lot for trying your best to understand these vedantic topics.
    If you do not become familiar with these terms, remember you can always go back to the specific post & read again. Do not worry if you don't feel familiar with the terms.
    Yes, I have to necessarily go through these, before I proceed with the next chapter.
    Well, today & next week, I plan to post 2 parts on What is Atma, with a prayer that my explanation should be easy enough for you all to grasp the essence of the post ! Please do remember that it takes (concentrated) repeated readings, to understand.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Bhargavi,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    You are right; one has to put in "real effort" & work, to understand these posts. But, I personally feel, for all the life-lessons, we learn from Gita, it is worth the effort. Are we not the beneficiaries ultimately? I would even say, that with our change in attirtude, our family will benefit more !
    Please stay tuned, my dear friend.
    Love,
    Chith.

8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear chith,
    Again in a nut shell you have clearly explained the definitions. I find your connecting the panchakosas with the three sarirams very apt and clear. I also feel that tohave a continuity of understanding we shoule revise the older posts and be ready for the new one.
    Regards,
    Meenu

9. Chitvish

Dear Meenu,
    I am glad you did not miss this post - this, I say, because you send me F Bs for all topics & this is an important topic, before we learn about Atma.
    Thankyou very much.
    I sometimes wonder, if what I write is a nutshell or a glossary !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many thanks for the lucid classification and explanation of the PanchaKosa.

The Q&A session was equally interesting and informative.

It is interesting to note that when the mind is disturbed, the food and vital air kosas are disturbed and we fall sick. I was recently listening to an audio book, where the author who is a meta physicist when diagnosed with cancer, started practising to control her thoughts by eliminating the negative ones. She supplemented the control with physiotherapy and eventually got rid of it without any surgery.

What is the difference between mind and intellect. Is it more of the noun-verb relationship??

Like Pavithra pointed out, even I find some change and maturity of thought especially after repeatedly reading the karma yoga(s). Looking forward to more such posts.

-Gayathri.