What are human goals according to Hindu religion ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2006.

1. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

The easily digestible kashayam of vedantha!

:clap :clap :clap
    Dear Chith,
    You never cease to surprise me.So much technical jargons you have neatly categorised in your inimitable style that you have motivated the layman into looking forward to your vedantha post. I do not know if you realise how much you are contributing to motivate youngsters and other busy gruhasthaas into setting higher goals in life. One youngster mailed me saying that she is determined to raise the quality of life of her family by herself conscious ly trying to improve self. I dont think you need ask for more, Thank you chithra for making vedantha more and more interesting than other regular features.
    Regards,

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is a necessary digestive as well, Meenu !

Still, I can sense that people have their apprehensions on this subject ! Less mails for the first day of posting, than the regular quota, I receive, is proof of this, Meenu !
    But, undeterred, I plan to go ahead with vedanta postings on alternate weeks. I owe it to my vedanta teacher.
    Thankyou for your nice words.
    Love & regards,
    Chith.

3. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

well written piece

Dear Madam,

This is really an interesting piece of vedanta and sometimes to grasp the exact meaning of this I have to go through it twice or thrice. In this you have explained preyas and mokshas very clearly. Obviously everybody is interested in getting moksham and to achieve that we have to do our karmas properly.

You are doing an excellent job and I think this is just beginning in vedanta and we will dig more and more treasures in future . I feel lucky to be a part of this ILite group.

Love&regards
    Lakshmi

4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Life would be meaningful if we follow this!!!!!

Dear Mrs C,
    I had to read this several times to get the true essence. You have explained it very well. The one thing that struck me most was that even though the body dies, the soul is immortal. The deeds[Punya-Pavam] determines the path of the soul. I thought that was good enough to realise where we are heading.

Another thing that caught my attention was moksha.Not depending on any external factors. That would be the ultimate isn't it Mrs C? Will wait for next Thur till then will ponder on this topic.

Like the part where you explained to Sudha that we 'get what we deserve and not what we desire' isn't that unique about Hinduism. Correct me if I am wrong.

Love,

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Purushartha

Dear Chitra,

I reserve some posts for reading only when I have the time for it so I can really concentrate. Hence I am late here.
    Deep significance. Well explained too- I need not even add that anymore Chitra as I got used to this excellence from you.
    All the same, how do I give up Preyas and think of Only Sreyas?! I know, I will need zillion numbers of janmas for that. But then, all those Karmas I have collected, how do I rid of it to get there? How do I know the number and severeness of my Karmas? It is not fair I feel, this Karma bondage.
    I had no bad intentions and have done good all the time and still past Karmas take their toll on me? Then, what effect will my goodness leave on the impressive young ones who want to follow me if they see me suffering inspite of being good??
    See, that's where Karma gets me.
    (Please note..the 'I' and 'me' here is the human being, not me!)
    Sorry if I agitate anyone with my skepticism about this philosophy. But these are the questions that keep rising in my mind.
    When someone points to an invalid child and says that it is his past karma that he is suffering now, that really bothers me. As it is, the child has a heavy life ahead of him and we also add the load of his own past bad karmas to his misery. How does it make it right? How will the child see any solace in this explanation?
    Maybe I am running haywire with my thoughts. But the questions have to be asked.

L, Kamla

6. Chitvish

My dear Lakshmi !

Thankyou for the appreciative post.
    Vedanta is neither a story nor a narration. It is very subtle & so requires more determination than interest, to understand. But there is no need to panic, if some statements sound abstract. For the time being, you can assume them. As we go further, that will become clear to you.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

I am achieving success, Radha !

Your first & last paras indicate this to me & I am very happy. You have understood what I wanted to convey.
    Moksha is a state attained by very few like Paramacharyal, Ramana Maharishi etc. There may be others whom I am not aware of. That only shows, the millions of janmas one has to take to achieve moksha. You can also call them, highly evolved souls ! We get what we deserve according to our karma phalam - this is an undeniable fact of Hinduism where the " why so" does not deserve an answer. Some facts are best accepted, that's it !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

My answer is almost an essay, Kamla, I can't help it.

First we must understand the depth of Swami Vivekananda's words " Our thoughts, words and actions are the threads of the net which we throw around ourselves". This is conscious choice making in EVERY ACTION of ours.
    You ask, why is past karma influencing one now.
    One is, no debt in the universe ever goes unpaid and one has to pay karmic debts.
    The second is to transform the karma to a more desirable experience by understanding or trying to understand the message, the universe is giving to one and making this experience useful to fellow human beings. By doing this, you look for the seed of opportuniy & then tie that seed with your dharma, with your purpose in life. Suppose you break your leg seriously when playing. The message the universe gives is that you should slow down & be more careful. You can teach others ( that is your dharma) by making your experience useful to others by writing a book about playing sports safely. This is one way of converting your karma into a positive experience.
    The third way to deal with it - we will dicuss later.
    Right now, understand this point clearly. By becoming a conscious choice-maker, you begin to generate actions that are evolutionary for you and for those around you. And that is all you need to do.
    To end karma is both action and consequence of that action. Another simple way of putting it is " what you sow is what you reap".
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

dear Friend!

I am here with you Chithra, I would read everything you post . Your posts in the emotional needs thread was really very helping to others.
    I want to tell you one thing what I felt , and it is better to tell it here in spiritual forum.
    Indusladies site - aashramam
    Mrs. Chithra Viswanathan - Guru
    and we Indusladies are your disciples!
    bye, take care,

10. Chitvish

My dear Seena ( safa) !

You really make me cry with your touching words ! Please do not raise me to a pedestal. Forget my age and think of me as one among you - I do not ask for anything more !
    It is very nice and kind of you to follow me in every forum, Seena !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.