1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Western V/s Eastern Philosophy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sobhi, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Sobhi

Sobhi Senior IL'ite

I have these thoughts running around in my mind for quite sometime now and I took the decision to pen it down and to get your opinions on this.

As a general approach to life the Eastern philosophy says to be contended with what we have (material comforts sufficient enough to lead a decent life) and then start looking for the real essence of life (spiritual progress)

The Western philosophy says that your mind attracts what you think. The whole universe works towards turning your thoughts into reality. So think BIG. Have big aspirations and set finite goals towards it. Primarily Positive.

For ex: I saw a famous video called “The Secret” that is circulated many times through mails. It is actually a short English movie I guess. It has some very successful westerners advocating the above theory for a happy life.
    Ex: If you aim to become rich, then set a target based on your income that I need to have such X amt as a bank balance in your account by EOY. By setting such a target and constantly remind yourself of it, the nature works in such a way that you would get a promotion, or job change or by some change in your life this particular goal of yours will be achieved.

This is also known very well as an art of Positive thinking or Thinking Big.
    I too have some small experiences of this sort w.r.t to my life. Most of my strong desires have manifested exactly as how I used to wish them to happen in a couple of year’s time. Sometimes when I sit and think about these things, I feel astonished.

Now coming back to the Eastern philosophy, as I have already stated above, the eastern philosophy emphasizes more on the contentment and more of self enquiry. Leading a simple and peaceful life. Understanding fully that nothing is permanent ………

As per today’s age, I feel to have a balanced life we need a mixture of both these philosophies.

1) Have big goals and aspirations.
    Set some goal for your life. Goals may change as you progress in age, but still choose what feels more valuable to you at this point in time. How do you want to see yourself some years down the line.

2) Break the Goals into smaller one’s to be addressed in few months or a year and start working towards them whole heartedly.

3) The implementation or achievement part of the goals set is the place where eastern philosophy becomes of utmost importance. From the famous quotes of GITA, Do your best and leave out the results.

4) Don’t loose heart when things don’t go your way. If you have put in your best then something better than what you expect is going to come around.

5) At the end, when success comes to you be your own self, a bit more compassionate than earlier, a bit more kind than earlier towards the people not so fortunate.

Basically the Eastern Philosophy teaches us to be in full control of our mind both in our joy and sorrow.

What say Ilites ? Let me know your thoughts on this and also any special experiences that you want to share.

Regards
    Shobha

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

I read your piece with interest and noted the use of the word success more than once, particularly with reference to Western Philosophy. Point 4) applies without a doubt to Hindu or Oriental philosophy. The contrast between fighting for a goal and self introspection shows up clearly these days when you watch sports events. The way a successful bowler or tennis player gesticulates goes against the very spirit of Hindu thought. I find it vulgar to say the least. However, this attitude has overtaken our part of the world also.

When I used to write posts at IL I had put up my observations on a similiar issue. Here is that link, should you feel interested in comparing your views on the subject and mine.

All the best.

3. Sobhi

Sobhi Senior IL'ite

Hello Sir

Thanks for coming in and leaving your comments.
    Will go through the link provided by you.

Yes the western philosophy is now seen in a big way in india.
    The message I wanted to convey through this post is,

We need to have definite goals so that our actions are oriented towards a goal and we will be motivated as well.

At the same time lets not be shattered if things dont go our way, if we dont become very rich, lets not lead life in comparision to others.....

Lets be at peace with what we have.

shobha