Were you able to leave this 'burning' lifestyle after migrating to West ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by darmesh, Jan 14, 2014.

1. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Sorry, I can not follow. You seem to know something technically. Probably, you may be a dietician.

I would like to hear in detail about it. How the spicy food helps in digestion and assimilation of food ? So far, as a common man, I have been thinking, it irritates the inner lining of the stomach, that is we feel burning etc,

Please tell about it in detail, if possible with evidences.

2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

I am a pharmacist, so I have studied all these spices as medicines

For example

1) Ginger- contains borneol, zingeberene, linalool
    It Is used as
    expectorant- removes cough from the respiratory tract
    carminative- expels gas from the stomach
    stomachic- aids digestion

2) Chilli- contains capsaicin, which increases heat mildy in the stomach and aids digestion. It is also a constituent on 'moov'.

3) Clove- contains eugenol. This acts as stomachic, carminative, antiseptic and it also used to prevent dental decay.

Other than all these, cardamom, fennel, cumin, dill also have the same properties.
    The volatile oil content in it gives it a slight astringent taste, and an aroma, which makes food tasty and palatable.
    The normal volatile oil content in it will in no way cause irritation of your mucosal membranes.
    Dharmesh if you feel a 'burning ' sensation in your stomach after eating these then definately you need to check with a doctor, as your stomach lining might have got corroded or inflammed and hence this might be worsening it.

This was just from my pharmacy knowledge......................but generally speaking, it is believed by nutritionists that these spices enhance the digestion and assimilation of food, if you have just raw or boiled vegs you will end up with bloating and constipation, as the spices are not there to aid the digestion of food.
    Even oil should be added in the seasoning, as the fat soluble vitamins like A,D, E and K will not be absorbed in absence of oil. As you know the cell membrane is composed of a lipid bilayer, and hence oil enhances the absoption of nutrients.

As we are basically from India, our genes are used to seasoned food, we cannot digest and assimilate bland, boiled food like the Americans, and hence we should not even try to do so.

Excess of oil and spices will obviously have a detrimental effect on your health.

4 people like this.
  3. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

The Spices make INDIAN Food 'INDIAN'

1 person likes this.
  4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Good to have a technically qualified person like you.

The information that substances like ginger and chilli are not mucosal irritants. Rather, they help in digestion better is a brand new information to me.

Actually, whatever I posted in the first post, what I listened from our Doctor. Next week I will be meeting him again.

I will discuss this information (that ginger and chilli are not mucosal irritants ) with him.

Can you provide me some links which contains the details of what you said about ginger and chilli ? ( I will print it and discuss it with him).

5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Actually I am already consulting a Doctor, a Gastro-enterologist. Whatever I posted in the first post, is what I heard from him. He only told me that ginger and chilli are mucosal irritants.

Now I am listening to something contrary to what he told me.

Interesting ! There must be some basic in the information you are sharing. I would like to go into the details.

So, can you provide me one or more links which will take me to the details of the same , as I asked above ?

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I could never tolerate spicy food. I ate my rotis with butter if mom added even garam masala to the curry. So, we ate "pheeka" food at home and whoever wanted something spicy- either added chilli powder or had pickle. Not just me, several members in my family just don't enjoy spicy food. My BIL doesn't eat spicy food at all so my sister makes food without chillis and I've learned so many delicious recipes from her. Just made malai kofta this weekend following her recipe and oh yes, i'm in love with that recipe. I love the real taste and texture of the food, not the burning sensation.
    After moving to US it was much easier for me to try and enjoy different cuisine. We rarely make Indian food at home and when I do it is as pheeka as pheeka can be and still tastes great. Chilli powder doesn't make it delicious.

1 person likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I havent read all the responses but I am fairly sure the answer you will get is no. The reason for this is that the use of these specific spices is also highly addictive. So once you go the spicy route you can never go back. Food appears dead, dull tasteless bland, no matter how much you tell yourself that this or that is good for you. one of my american profs, born and raised in corn country didnt know the abc of spice, went to london in his 20s and got introduced to indian food. now he cant go back to his former way of eating.
    'ye worald hai na worald is mein do tarake log hote hai, ek jo spice khaa sakte aur doosre jo nahi'

as far as your doc is concerned it sounds like what is he talking to you about is gastric reflex which causes stomach contents to go up the tube and eat away the lining causing acidity problems. that is what a mucosal irritant would do. spices may or may not be mucosal irriatants--it depends on which spice and the quantity you are ingesting at a time and overall structure of the meal. For eg., south indian end every meal with curd rice and rarely have acidity.

1 person likes this.
  8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You stay out of India it doesn't mean that you adopt they style of eating.

3 people like this.
  9. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Chilli dominates over the 'taste and texture' of the specific food !

Thanks for your feedback.

10. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Dear Dharmesh,

If you are consulting a gastroenterologist, then you must be suffering from some specific gastric problem, if he has asked you to refrain from spices for the time being, then maybe you should do that.

But you should certainly not develop a negative attitude towards it, maybe use in small quantities or refrain till you recover, but I don't think you should give it up for life.

Asking an Indian to eat blad food for 'health' reasons is as good as asking an American to eat spicy food dripping with oil. Like I told you before, we lack the enzymatic machinery to digest raw, bland food, and hence trying to do so will only worsen your health.

If the doctor you are consulting is an American, then he might have told you this thinking you overuse it, they believe Indians suffer from health conditions only due to their eating habits.

Moreover doctors don't know much about medicines and nutrition, for that you should always consult your pharmacist and dietitian respectively.

Chillies are an important source of vitamins too.

I am sending you a link of the pharmacognosy of all spices, since you asked me, maybe it will help.

Pharmacognosy - Mr. S. B. Gokhale - Google Books

I am also sending you a link of the video by dietitian Rujuta Diwekar on the 'importance of tadka.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FndC-E-byoQ

2 people like this.