Were you able to leave this 'burning' lifestyle after migrating to West ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by darmesh, Jan 14, 2014.

1. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

In India, I have lived in 3 states so far. Every state, when you say, 'tasty food' has the concept of spicy food. A 'tasty' food means, the one full of red chilly/green chilly or ginger or pepper.

Take vegetarian food or non vegetarian food : Some one cooks, cabbage fry, wants to make it 'tasty'. He/she will add more chilly powder to it.

Some cooks mutton fry or gravy. Other person in the house wants it 'tasty'. The person who cooks will add more chilly into it.

To make an omelette tasty, pour more pepper powder on it.

This idea of a 'hot' and 'spicy' food being 'tasty' food exists in every state of India.

All these red chilly, green chilly, ginger and black pepper are mucosal irritants. Then they touch the mucosa (the red skin that lies in your mouth, throat and gut), it irritates the same.

What we feel as 'tasty' is actually the feeling of 'mucosal irritation'. It is not exactly a 'taste' in scientific sense.

Many Indians keep complaining " I suffer from 'acidity' all 12 months of an year". What they feel as 'acidity' is the excessive mucosal irritation (burning) going on inside their stomach due to these spices. (One naturally can not feel one's own acid in stomach)

In West, they enjoy the intrinsic taste of the food, not the mucosal irritation of the added spices. If they eat, fish, they relish the different taste of different fish, with least or no spice added to it.

I am seeing many here, having migrated to West as adults. Having grown up in India, with this eating lifestyle, were you been able to change your food habit to a less spicy one ?

Can you enjoy the less spicy food also ? (which in India is termed a 'tasteless' /pheekhaa food )

Attached Files:

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With these spices we Indian's cannot survive. All Indian kitchens have these in abundance, you stay in India or outside India it is the same.

Yes I did enjoy the outside food too but you cannot stick to that food everyday. Just one or 2 days is fine but not everyday, after sometime I use to get back to our food. Even after stay outside India for 13 years I couldn't adopt to that food. Yes I made some of the western dishes but good just for one time meal.

3. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

OKay. After 13 years also you can not adopt to less hot/spicy food. Incredible !

We are all slaves to our tongue, which, in turn, is slave to the four stuff showed in the above photo (in first post) !:)

4. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

living in shanghai for past 2 n odd years has not changed my temptation for "mucosal irritents" i love food Indian way otherwise its just pheeka pakwan which can be hardly tolerated for 1 or 2 times a week.

IniyaaSri, lucky2 and darmesh like this.
  5. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

The Chinese use, 'hajinamoto' , as their version of irritating/stimulating the tongue ! Living in China, you can try it !

Have you tried hajinomoto in Indian cuisine ? People say, it makes the Indian dishes more tasty.

6. Wondergirl137

Wondergirl137 Gold IL'ite

How about visiting few more states in India, and visiting few more eating places/homes to change your this view?
    Its not fair to indian cuisine to pass such generalized statements/judgements. In India, both in north as well as south, there is fair usage of non-spicy gravies etc and they as for sure tasty as well. Take example of cuisine from Gujarat, they all have right amount of sweetness in them and the gujju thali is famous as well.
    Explore some more and let us know what you find!

IniyaaSri and Anvitha like this.
  7. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Gurarati gravies are unique. I have eaten them. They have jiggery added to , it gives a sweet taste. Plus, chillies also added to the same gravy. It is a peculiar combination of sweet and hot /spicy taste in the same stuff.

I enjoy it once in a while. But Gujaratis also eat very spicy food. They bite raw green chilly along with naasthta in mornings.

8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Ah, the everlasting food debate ...

I live myself between east and west. Visiting India often, having my indian colleauges/friends coming over. I like indian food but eating every day that stuff?! And they ask the same vice versa.

When you have a nice, delicate filee or mussels and your indian friend want to smother the thing with ginger/garlic/chili? Or you manage to get almost a western pizza and then they have spoilt it with ginger/garlic/chilithing?

1 person likes this.
  9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think it depends on what cuisine we cook. For example, a number of (almost all) Indian recipes call for chilli/pepper powders to it with the exception of desserts. Even in raita we end up putting spice mix! Its just the way Indian food is. Its not just Indian food, most of the Asian countries use strong spices. Talk about Hakka Chinese and not to mention Thai food. Of course I am generalizing since there are number of states in India.

Coming to West, yes, I was able to ease into Western/European cuisine with no problems. Things like roasted salmon or ravioli or chicken pot pie do not call for the regular Indian spices we use. You need to allow your body to enjoy other tastes. that comes with time and even then, if one person in the family likes only Indian food, we would end up cooking that on a regular basis. The taste buds and the body need time to adjust to the new change. Once that is established, its a breeze (at least for me it was).

Another point to note is that a lot of people do not like the spices we use in indian food, like garlic. Its weird though, they would have no problem having pasta which uses cloves of garlic or honey-garlic sauce which is famous. Anyway, leaving the prejudice aside, if we let ourselves open, we should have no problem accepting new tastes. Many a time we find no reason to adapt to the new food. thats totally fine too.

One last thing to note is that the comfort food would always remain Indian food.
    At this point, I cannot eat Indian food on a daily basis. But is it my comfort food? Hell ya!!

3 people like this.
  10. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Answer to the question is 'No'. I don't want to debate on food taste or health or quality as this is individuals choice but on other way It's also not good to say other's food as nasty or spoiled. It's your choice..I am vegetarian and could not change (would say don't want ) myself even though staying in a country where we face lot of difficulty . But I have no rights to say meat, chicken or fish is not good..It's individuals choice. I really felt bad when some one said Indians spoil food by putting some spices ..that's our choice..they may get food more tasty after putting spices (No offence means)

For me .I can not survive without spices whether it's India or America..I too like some western cuisines like Pasta, burritos etc..but can not eat as everyday meal.. after all my (that's me only) tongue like the taste of spices (specially garlic and ginger)

2 people like this.