1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Were "Cameras" used to create Renaissance Paintings

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Jun 25, 2011.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Just now, I finished watching a five-part YouTube video,

It is so facinating how different areas of study combine to create new ideas.

The Hockney-Falco thesis is one of them.

According to this thesis, Renaissance painters from early 1400s and onwards used concave lenses (Physics) to create life-like paintings (Art).

Lenses project and magnify images. The best part is, many of these paintings were created using these early "cameras" before Galileo invented the telescope!

Of course, this thesis has caused controversy. Many art lovers are OUTRAGED, even picketing outside of events because they feel this thesis is taking away from the greatness of Renaissance painters. I believe this thesis does the opposite - it shows a person's ingenuity to use whatever is available, to capture people and scenes that the human eye cannot perceive.

Falco is the one presenting in the YouTUBE videos to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (great place to send your MIL if she happens to visit you and DH in NY :goodidea:), and he briefly explains how he and Hockney are able to determine whether a painting was created using concave lenses or not, i.e., certain objects get blurred at a distance.

This is pure brilliance. By awakening your "third eye", using your education and interests, you can discover something new.

2. dipshikha

dipshikha Junior IL'ite

Hai z4,

very technically written .. nice one. you sound to be very intelligent and has the ability to think quickly..Keep going.

Loved the above line so much.. keep writing . Its awesome ..

3. zipzipzoomzoom

Thank you for the kind words :)

4. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

When I was growing up in Chennai, I had an acquaintance who was into sketching/drawing. He told me that if someone gave him a photograph of something, he would be able to produce a very accurate drawing from it (but the photo would get destroyed in the process).

Most people are sorely disappointed when they learn what they attribute to major creativity is due to rather mundane techniques.
    ------------------------
    I am not into art at all. In 6th grade, we had to draw an elephant in art class -- my elephant was so puny that I got complemented on the goat I had drawn :)
    ------------------------
    When we lived near Washington, DC, my wife used to drag me to the National Gallery of Art (in the pre-children days). I would much rather sit in the very spacious main lobby and people watch.
    ----------------------
    About a year ago, we went to visit our son living in New York. My wife and he wanted to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I expressed amazement that son would pay hard-earned money on an art museum admission. He asked me,

"What did we do during our regular vacations?"

I said

"One science museum, one art museum, one botanical gardens, before we did the fun things".

"Why are you surprised that I picked up an interest in art museums?"

"Oh, I was playing the role of a dutiful father. I didn't think you would become such a bourgeoisie :)"

5. zipzipzoomzoom

At first glance, using a lens to project an image and then draw on top of it sounds mundane, but as the YouTUBE video demonstrates, it takes talent, and the eye of an artist.

LOL!!!

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Z,

Your technical writeup very awesome dear. IF we are wakening our third eye our discoveries will be more and productive one. Expecting more from you my dear IL