Welcome to Punjab-Amritsar

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Navpreet, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Hello to all,as i had promised i will take you to trip of Punjab(sorry i am little bit late).From today i am starting it off.First of all,we will start from :

AMRITSAR:
    The name of the city comprises of two words : Amrit+sar means Pool of Immorality. This city has made Punjab,among one of the favourite tourist spot for visitors from outside India and India.What's so special.Bahut kuch hai ji(there's so much).

[​IMG]
    The Golden Temple at night

Let's start with Golden Temple as it attract attention due to it's beauty and view it gives,especially at night or early morning when sun shines over it.This temple belongs to Sikhs and is called Harminder sahib,Swarn Mandir. It has a sarowar(pool of water that is called sarowar in hindi/punjabi)that surrounds this temple has been discovered by third guru of Sikhs,Guru Ram Das ji and has capability of curing every type of disease so city is named after this pool.Temple's foundation was laid by a muslim sufi Mia Mir ji under the rein of fourth guru of sikhs Guru Arjan Dev ji.This is short hisory of this temple.This place was attacked by Mughals but it survived and later on carved in gold.It's carvings are just magnificient.If you want to enjoy real fantasy then visit on Vaisakhi or Holi.

<TABLE class="infobox vcard" style="FONT-SIZE: 90%; WIDTH: 25.5em; TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TD class="fn org" style="FONT-SIZE: larger; TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Harmandir Sahib<TD style="FONT-SIZE: smaller; TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>[​IMG]

Note: Mobiles are to be switched off in area near temple and you are not allowed to shoot inside the temple.Avoid going on Sundays or festivals as it has huge gatherings and you won't be able to enjoy it's sights in dhakka-mukki(in evenings also).Secondly,find place for parking first if you are in your car as it is in middle of town and surrounded by bazaar.

How to reach this city:
    You can reach this city through any mode by air(as it has it's own international airport),bus,train.

Where to stay :
    City provides every tye of lodgings like hotels,PGs,private lodgs,even if you want to enjoy night view then book a room inside gurudwara(advance booking in festivals).They have their exclusive help-lines for tourists of mostly every language,so better consult them.You can see their office near entrance of gurudwara.

Second,most popular spot is JALLIANWALA BAGH.You don't need to go far from Golden Temple as it is situated at walkable distance from temple.So you can visit that by sightseeing.Every body knew it's history.And,they have preserved that wall wher you can see the holes of bullets.Have some patriotic feeling by visiting it.
    [​IMG]
    Entrance to the present day jallianwala bagh.

[​IMG]
    Bullet marks, visible on a preserved wall, at present day Jallianwala Bagh.

[​IMG]
    Wideview of Jallianwala Bagh memorial

As our next destination is out of city,so enjoy in city adventure to the fullest.Don't forget to taste Amritsari naan,and don't forget to buy amritsari pappads and vadiyan.you can shop for punjabi juttis also.

Now next stop is going to get you out of city and it Wagah Border.The only border road between India and pakistan.Their evening flag ceremony is worth watching.I can't tell you exact distance but it will take you 45 minutes to reach the place.here,you can show your patriotic feelings in full swings.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gate to Pakistan
    Entrance to border
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The evening flag lowering ceremony at the India-Pakistan border near Wagah, sourced from Michael Palin's BBC TV series 'Himalaya'. The guards in khaki uniform are Indian, while the ones wearing dark green are Pakistani.

These were sights that form major tourist attention of this city.Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008

2. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

Hi navpreet,
    Your post brought back memories of 2 beautiful days we had spend in Amritsar.We went there without much research on the place,nor had we made any bookings ...But still we had a good tour around the place thanks to a small boy with a cycle rickshaw who took us to Jalian wala bagh, and some other smaller temples, the bazaar(forgot the name) from where i brought a pile of dress materials, juthis ,matching accessories etc....Never once did we feel cheated as may have happened in any other place ..we had a good nights stay at the NRI lodge opposite the Golden Temple....wish i will have an oppurtunity to revisit Amritsar..
    Sumitha

3. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Hi Sumitha,
    Thanks for joining me and other information.You might have visited Mochi Bazaar for juttis,Guru Bazaar,Shastri market.These are favourite shopping spots.Have you been to Guru ka Langar at Temple.Thanks for reminding i forgot to mention.Secondly,next time don't forget to bargain as mostly tourist are charged more.Even rickshaw pullers can have more money from you.So,do consult some locals or shopkeepers about price as they(rickshaw pullers) will ask for more.Thanks once again for your FB.Have you seen Diwali Of Amritsar.It's really mind-blowing but i will not reccommend for those who travel with children as it use to have huge gathering from all around world.Do come again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. Kamal83

Kamal83 New IL'ite

Hi Navpreet,

Its a nice that you make our city known to all but being your friend i advise you to change something which may be written by mistake that you have written third guru Guru Ram Das G, but its fourth Guru Ram Dass G. I appreciate your effort and hope you to keep it up. I'm just trying to do my part.

All the best for your future steps

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. twink

twink Silver IL'ite

:thumbsupBeautifull:)

6. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Navpreet
    I just thought of writing on my recent visit to Golden Temple.
    You've already on it.
    We(me & my DH) visited Amritsar last Saturday(20.03.2010) & as you've mentioned the Golden Temple simply dazzling with lights at night.
    Yes! It mesmorised us.
    We had only half-a-day at hand, even then we could able to visit all these three places.
    Wagah border flag lowering ceremony taught me,.... rather understood what is patriotism!!!....
    I've already uploaded some snaps taken there in one of my threads & the link is

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/d...raphy/60019-photography-my-collection-11.html

Thanks for sharing.
    Regards.
    chitra

7. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi Navpreet
    Excellent write-up. Thanks for showing us the Golden Temple in your writing and the glittering photo of the temple in the night-time.
    I did not get the opportunity of visiting this beautiful place. Hope to have a visit in the near future.
    Thank you once again for the wonderful write-up.

8. aarthikaur

aarthikaur New IL'ite

Hi Navpreet,

Im planning to visit amritsar next week.....

Can u plzz tell me few dhaba names where i can eat Tasty n spicy non veg food like Amritsari fish, Bhatthi da Murg, Tandoori Chicken.......

thanks in advance

9. sweety17

sweety17 Gold IL'ite

hey nice write up....feel like visiting Amristar right away :thumbsup

10. sagimom

sagimom Senior IL'ite

Hi Navpreet,

I might be travelling to Pathankot, Punjab the next week, so I want to know if there's any Handloom house in Amritsar for pure cotton fabrics. And where I can find phulkari bedsheets? My bibiji(paternal granny) had sewed these phulkari bedsheets and I dont have it? Ki pinda which ajje vi aurataan ae kaam kardiya hann?

Regards,

Geeta