1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

weird problem with a friend

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radhakarthik, Jun 11, 2011.

1. radhakarthik

radhakarthik Senior IL'ite

around 6 months back we moved to Canada from US. Here we met a family who has a kid of my son's age, it so happened that both are in the same class and are good friends now.

we're being trying to maintain some good friendship with his parents, that kid' s dad is doing some financial business( basically marketing for financial schemes), he tried selling us some and wanted me to join the chain, which I am totally not interested, he already came home once and explained my dh about various schemes, almost for more than 2 hours and my dh told him we'll let him know if at all we're iterested.

afterwards me and my dh discussed and we came to a coclusion that we're least interested in any and first of all we're not settled here yet, so want to concentrate in that.

He had asked us numerous times over phone after that, and it is really getting annoying now. we're trying to be nice because of my son's friendship but he is going beyond limits and testing our patience.

my dh is tired of this and trying to be polite and refused it everytime, now today he called us again and told my dh that he wants only 30 min of our time and wants me to join during the conversation. we're very upset and angry, he is literally forcing us.

can u friends suggest me a way in which we can avoid this and explain him without hurting my son's friendship.. We wanted to have a decent friendship and I feel he is trying to use it:bonk, can you please suggest a way to end this, should i be rude with him??I feel sorry for my son and the other kid.

thanks,
    radha

2. sruthinaidu

sruthinaidu New IL'ite

You don't have to be rude but you can be firm. Looks like keeping in mind about the son's friendship angle you have given the other person hope that he could convince you.

Don't get involved in stuff that you might not be interested just to keep yours son's friendship going. So if you think they would not let your son play with their son just because you wouldnt follow his schemes that is riduculous, your son is better off reading books or doing whatever he did before he met this new friend.

3. sweetanju4uu

sweetanju4uu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Radha,

I can understand your pain. I have been forced as well for joining these MLM related marketing plans and unfortunately I have a very short fuse. Hence it is really a comic scene to see them trying their sweet talks on me and me fuming inside and smoke almost out of my ears. But, yeah, since they were kind of close to us, I did not blow up on them. I did tell them a firm "NO", so that they understood my intentions and kind of fell back on their advances. And yes, they did turn a bit cold on us. But, that is the price we got to pay for saying No. It is better this way rather than shell out hard earned money unnecessarily.

So I would suggest you to be firm with them and tell them that you are not interested in listening about the plans anymore.

All the best!

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

With these marketing types, if you are not firm or direct they think they have some chance of selling you something, that you are mulling it over in your mind. You HAVE to be direct with them but you don' t need to be rude. Just tell them that sorry, you have no interest or wish to do this work and are pursuing other things. Tell them you have heard them but it is just not a situation for you.

You cannot go through life either in this situation or others being held hostage by trying to please people who are making you miserable. If they will pull the relaitonship with your son over this, then they will pull it over some other situation also.

5. radhakarthik

radhakarthik Senior IL'ite

thanks ladies for your advise, it is so frustrating to handle such issues when we have other bigger problems to handle :( , anyways thanks.

6. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Yes.Agree with others here. As long as you don't put a firm NO there and keep sying we'll think abt it and beat around the bush they are going to come back to you many more times. Just tell them you don't want to be involved in this for the next n years :) no matter how much they try to convince you.

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

u really have to be little rude otherwise u cannot escape from their hands.don't be much bothered about your sons friendship here. even if u r little polite they will take a chance. some are really shameless and keep coming or calling u. i have faced many such people and once my hubby blasted a guy in bus.