1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss Buddy

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by PinkRubies, Nov 2, 2008.

1. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

hey chandramukhi...

u r right...but if we are all on strict diets to loose weight efficientli...we are in a way changing our lifestyles bcoz afta our diets we will know that it was this hard to loose it and by then our habits wuldve changed and we will make the right choices..isnt it ladies =D

nd i totally disagree with u about going to the gym causes u to beocme saggy...so far in our buddy group im the onli one going to the gym, the rest workout at home so can i say im choosing the gym bcoz im onli 17 and im prepared to adapt to the lifestyle where i will always go to the gym =D

sorry if i sounded a bit harsh..its just ur post was very de-motivating if i said anything wrong pls correct me...

ruby

2. PinkRubies

vahee..

thanx for the tips i always prefer hot water to normal anyway so i dnt think that will b a prblem...hmm yea my lunch seems a bit less...i shall add some bread to it lol..i dunno ill c how i go and let u noe :blush:

luv u all
    ruby

3. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Hi Pink Rubies,

It was not my intention to de-motivate you or any ladies who want to loose weight.

What will happen after the diet? Are you going to be on a diet all your life? It is better to eat "normal" in moderation then going on a diet. This is because I don't believe in the diet concept.
    I know people who have lost weight this way.

What I meant was with becoming saggy is that if you are going to loose a lot of weight your skin will become stretched. In order to avoid this one should join a gym or excersice at home to prevent this.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI chandramukhi..

I agree with you we cant be on diet all our life... which is pratically not possible... but when we want to reduce weight during that period of time its better to do dieting and must is exercise... in that way we can reach the target...
    once you reach a normal weight we can maintain the weight by doing normal exercise on regular basis to avoid gaining weight ...

i did dieting & workouts to reduce my weight.. it was for 2 months time... even during that 2 months time i used to have all food in limited quantity now and then may be not often... but never avoided any food coz its not possible and if we avoid we tend to eat more later...

now i'm having very normal food.. i can tell i'm eating everything chocolates, pizza but doing normal exercise and maintaining my weight... sometimes i skip exercise:hide:... but still able to maintain...

but as you said its must to do exercise or join gym to reduce their weight... its always a wise...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I found this on the internet. Wanted to share it with you guys erhm mean ladies.​

Dieting and Metabolism

Low calorie dieting slows your metabolism, making it progressively more difficult to lose weight and keep it off. The failure rate of most diets is astronomical, yet people continue to try one after another, always hoping that each new scheme will provide the solution. If you’re a veteran of the diet wars, the one word answer to your dilemma may be muscle. Let’s take a look at why diets often fail and how strength training and a healthy appetite can rev up your metabolism.

Dieting fails due to a combination of hormonal changes, muscle loss, and flat out frustration. When faced with a shortage of calories, your body’s natural response is to conserve fat. This mechanism may have come in handy for your distant ancestors trying to survive a famine, but the "starvation response" and it’s associated hormonal changes make life difficult for many a dieter.

If a dieter persists long enough with the self-imposed famine, the body begins to break down muscle tissue for fuel. When protein is broken down, it releases nitrogen. Your body will quickly wash away the nitrogen by releasing water from tissue cells, causing an immediate reduction in water weight and a noticeable drop on the scale. However, water and muscle loss is nothing to celebrate. The water weight will be quickly regained as soon as you have something to drink, and the missing muscle can wreak havoc on your metabolism for a good long time.

Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. It requires a certain number of calories each day to maintain itself. Therefore, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even when you’re just sitting around. As your muscle mass drops, so does your daily calorie requirement. Suppose, for example, that a dieter loses 10 pounds of muscle (along with maybe 20 lbs. of fat) on a strict diet. Now suppose that each pound of muscle had been burning 50 calories a day just sitting there. Together, those 10 pounds of muscle had been burning 500 calories a day. With this muscle tissue gone, the dieter must now consume 500 fewer calories a day in order to maintain that weight-loss.

However, we know that most dieters won’t keep up the starvation routine for long. They’ll eventually return to their old eating habits. When this happens, the weight inevitably comes piling back on. The kicker is that while they lost both muscle and fat during the diet, what they put back was all fat. So, even though they may weigh the same as they did when they started, they now have a lot more fat and a lot less muscle than they did before the diet. This means that their metabolisms are slower and their calorie requirements are lower. Even if they return to their pre-diet eating habits, they still require 500 fewer calories a day due to the muscle loss. That’s one reason dieters are prone to regaining all of the lost weight and then some.

The solution to this dilemma is an active lifestyle that includes aerobic exercise, a solid weight training program, and a healthy diet. What is a healthy diet you ask? A healthy diet is based around whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean protein. A healthy diet keeps your metabolism in high gear with 4 to 6 small meals a day. It’s flexible enough to allow for popcorn at the movies or cake at a birthday party. No food is off-limits, but sweets and high fat junk food are eaten less often and in smaller quantities. A healthy diet is realistic and permanent; not something you suffer through for a week or two and then quit.

The goal is to consume as many calories as you can while still losing body fat and maintaining or gaining lean muscle. If your calories are already below normal, don’t restrict them further. Instead stick with your current amount and focus on becoming stronger and more active, so you can gradually increase your calories to a normal healthy level. If your calorie intake is already in a healthy range, decrease it only slightly, and only if necessary. A small reduction of about 250 calories a day, or 10-15 percent less than usual, is more likely to protect your lean muscle and less likely to trigger a slow-down in your metabolism.

Following this type of routine, it’s possible to gain about one pound of muscle per week and lose about one pound of fat per week. The end result is that the number on the scale might not move much at all, it may even go up. Your clothes will get loser and your self-esteem will sky-rocket. Yet the number on the scale won't budge!?!?! It's at this point that a lot of people will chuck the weight training because they don't understand the physiology of what's happening.

The truth is that when you're strength training it's possible to get smaller and heavier at the same time. Muscle is a much denser tissue than fat. A pound of muscle is like a little chunk of gold, while a pound of fat is like a big fluffy bunch of feathers. The fat takes up more space on your body. At this point, it's best to toss out the bathroom scale and rely on the way you look and the way your clothes fit. The scale can be misleading and discourage you when you're actually doing great.

The bottom line is that you want to make strong, healthy, positive changes rather than punishing your body and your spirit with starvation. Your goal is the sleek healthy body of a naturally lean person who can enjoy what they eat. You want to avoid at all costs the frail sagging body of a chronic dieter who has to measure every morsel.

For more information on active lifestyles, strength training, and healthy eating, check out the articles in the Fitness Library. In particular, you'll want to look at:

6. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

Count me in too...I recently put on 15 kgs in the last 9 months...all after my marriage...i guess ive been way too happy after marriage ;-)
    Recently got my weight checked at the doctors place n I was shocked to see the gain :eek:mg:. Started my diet plan from today...My plan would be
    7 AM - Honey n lime juice in luke warm water
    7-7.30 AM - Walking/Excercise
    8 AM - 1 glass milk with 1 spoon sugar(i used to take 2 spoons) and 1.5 spoon milo(i used to take 2)
    10 AM - Sprouts salad
    12.30 - Lunch - 1 cup rice with some veggie [I being a south indian cant live without rice]
    4 PM - Tea with 1 spoon sugar and an apple/orange
    8 PM - 2 rotis with veggie/dhal

Ive lived thru half the day and feel this is v.easy to follow...I dont believe in eating less...I wud rather eat healthy....
    Lets see how it works out...

Cheers
    Ramya

7. seattlelite

seattlelite New IL'ite

Hi,
    I just wanted to share some experiences with you.
    I have been on diet for the past 2 weeks and this is my third week. I have lost 5 pounds in the last weeks.
    I had been taking lots of hot water, sometimes more than 2-3 lts. This resulted in bloating and lot of gas. I cut back on the water for a couple of days and things were fine. SO I am sticking to 2-2.5 lts of hot water a day.
    Also I have been having rice for lunch but i make sure I have only one cup = 200ml in a day. In the evening I have about 2 dosas or 2 small chappathis with veggies and eat before 6pm. At night I have some fruits and drink milk. I make sure I am not empty stomach after the evening meal, as too much gap in meals also increases gas for me.

I have been doing some exercise like lying on the floor and cycling, some yoga etc. I am not able to do treadmill or walk for long because I have a problem in my leg and am not able to walk for long.
    Thats it for now. I am hoping to loose more this week....fingers crossed.

I mainly wrote this post, as I have struggled for a very long time with exercise, diets etc with no results mainly because I cldnt keep up the diet part so even if I exercised it dint translate to weight loss.
    So if there is someone who is thinking about weight loss and not very confident this will help.

Thanks

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI ramya...

That's a nice diet chart... sprouts salad for breakfast is very nice...

Recently i watched a tv show in that one hero has reduced 30 kgs of weight by doing exercise and dieting... his main food was green gram sprouts salad and he said it helped him a lot to reduce his weight...

all the best in your weight loss journey...

9. varsha2k

varsha2k New IL'ite

hi friends, i too want to reduce 30kgs of weight, i too want to join your plans

10. PinkRubies

Hi all!!!

well i went to the gym ydai!!! it was really hard - did 20min of tredmill and 20 min of cycling and after that went shopping for around 5hrs without sitting down =( my legs kill!!! i was in so much pain at night...buh everyone tells me it will go away....

well since i was running around in the morining i culd only manage 1/8 of a watermelon
    for lunch i had spicy prawn sald =D and in the afternoon i had a low fat chickn sub from subway =D
    at night i had grilled fish with spinach...
    throught the day i had some grapes and a banana...it wasnt that bad i was pretty satisfied but it was really hard telling myself i cant hav chocolate cake or ice-cream...

Anyways i went shopping right and i can barely fit into and Aus size 14 i remeber the days wen i was i size 8 it was so sad...but looking at those clothes had motivated me so much =D

Ramya: welcum =D ur diet plan luks very healthy...and im glad uv found it easy to follow!!!
    Seattlelite: CONGRATULATIONS 5 pound in a week that is heaps gud...i agree with ur step of reducing ur water intake if its is causing so much discomfort...dnt worry at this rate u wuld drop ur pounds in no tyme =D