1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weight-loss and Trusting Yourself

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Meera34, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Meera34

Meera34 New IL'ite

"Ack! I've been working out, eating healthy, and I can't believe the scale still refuses to budge... is it time to change something? Am I doomed to just stay as I am?! I might as well not do anything... I hate my (fill-in-your-least-fave-bodypart...)"

That would often be my inner dialogue on my weigh-in days.

I would see disturbing visions of the weighing-scale chasing (a breathless) me up a steep slope, or worse, me chasing that dreaded scale with a hammer instead because it refused to show me my promised-land-of-weight-loss!

I would hate the scale, dread the scale, have violent visions of smashing it to pieces, or love it enough to give up that doughnut depending on whether or not it was showing me what I wanted to see week after week.

Instead of being about a positive lifestyle change, my entire weight-loss mission would very quickly turn into a battle-with-the-scale when the numbers refused to budge.

It is so easy to get discouraged and lose track of the bigger picture of fitness when the numbers on your weighing scale don't go down. What is a girl to do?!

Even if the scale doesn't budge, have some faith that all your hard work is paying off. Trust yourself, and stay consistent.

Even if the numbers stop going down for a few weeks, don't forget the bigger picture of why you are trying to lose weight. Its not just the numbers on the scale, but its the stamina you now have as a result of your increased activity levels. It is the energy and the positivity you feel as a result of working out so often. It is how you feel more confident when you work out. Its how you sleep better once you've worked out, and known that you gave your best that day by taking care of yourself like you promised yourself. Its a lot easier to stick to the weight-loss goals and fight the disappointment with your scale when you remember the bigger picture.

Regular weigh-ins are an important quantitative way of keeping track of your progress, but our bodies have wonderful mechanisms for catching up with us when it comes to weight loss. Sooner rather than later, you will hit a plateau, and the scale will refuse to budge. Instead of focusing on the negative and thinking of our bodies only as "something that needs to be put back into a certain shape" think of all the wonderful ways our bodies help us achieve what we want. Give your body the love it deserves, and not just that negative self-talk. Don't stereotype yourself into wanting to be a certain size and shape. Love your queerness, and love the experiences your body lets you enjoy whatever size it is. The minute you start appreciating your body for what it is, and how much it has done for you all your life, you will begin to treat it with a lot more reverence. I promise that it will get a lot easier to stay on track once you begin to love your body the way it is, and approach weight loss with the goal of making yourself stronger rather than seeking to be a smaller size.

Take care of yourself, trust yourself, and your body will give you back a lot more if you show it some TLC instead of just criticism about how its not what it-should-be. Look at the scale every week after you've exercised and eaten well in your weight-loss mission, but at the same time, don't forget to appreciate how you can now walk more, do more, have more stamina, and experience more in your life because those workouts have made you stronger.

Even if the scale doesn't budge, don't lose track of the bigger picture of why you are doing it: to take better care of yourself.

2. kiran1

kiran1 New IL'ite

Nice post! The scale is the hardest thing to face. Seriously a big wake up as to where you really are. And when it refuses to move, it's so frustrating. But then, after days of no movement, the moment it starts going down again, you know your work is paying off!