1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

weekend binging - tips to avoid

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by crazysans, Jun 5, 2014.

1. crazysans

crazysans Bronze IL'ite

Hey ladies,

Thought I would ask for your help in this.

So finally after 1.5 years of having my second child I have again started to loose weight (I lost about 10Kgs before getting pregnant with her but all of that came back again with this pregnancy)

Started with Leslie Walk (with weights in hands this time as I was feeling it too easy with out them as that's what I did last time mostly) and controlling the diet (almost 1500cal/ day )and its almost 3 weeks since I started. Not much change scale wise. But this happened to me last time as well that I did not loose much for the first 4-5 weeks and since then study weight loss. Anyhow I wanted to see a change and trying to cut down to 1200cal/day as I am sitting in front of desk most of the day.

My biggest weaknesses as identified were snacking and weekend Binging. Hubby and I get super happy from Friday night itself and mostly it would be elaborate meals with special dishes on weekend. Either that or we invite friends over for lunch/dinner and there you go so many specials :) Good side of it is still its 90% home cooked food, not much eat outs.

For snacking I am slowly moving away from fatty ,sweet snacks to fresh foods/low fat crackers with dips etc. Any tips as to how to control my eating on weekends? AM sure many of you also have same kind of problem as me. Please help here?

Also looks like I have very low BMR (basal metabolic rate) because even with 1500 cal diet and 300 cal exercise(I believe LS 5 mile walk would atleast burn that) I am not loosing any weight which is scary. Any way to increase my BMR? Thanks ladies!

Thanks in advance?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was in your boat not too long ago. I then started actually weighing and measuring what I eat and found out I was consuming way over 1600 cals that I thought I was eating. I would start by measuring the quantities of food and ingredients as precisely as possible. I bought a digital food scale for this but was able to do it with cup and spoon measures. My biggest bit was oil. What I thought was 1/2tsp was so much more. I read about measuring oil in shiva's blog here on il(fatchickgoesslim). She has a lot of ideas on healthy snacking and portion control. Once I got to proper 16-1700 cals I started losing. Now I'm back not measuring and am not losing. I'll start training for a half marathon soon and have been running a lot lately so I'm eating close to 2100 cals daily. I'm also mindlessly snacking. I'm sure with the hm training I can't make it if I don't eat right. So I'm going to be back to measuring/eating proper proteins/ getting good stuff in and stopping the snacks.
    LS walks are great btw. Very good cardio exercises. If you can add some strength training it'll be good. You can get back in shape quicker. I started but had to stop due to an injury. I'm starting strength training again next week.

For weeknd binges, don't make it all weekend long. Just have one cheat meal a week. For me, once a week cheat meals don't work. I try and cook as healthy as possible even when guests are coming over. Atleast two dishes and rotis are going to be healthy choices. That way, I can eat more of those and salads. Desserts are my weakness, but I restrict portion size. I also make mostly fruit salads with fresh fruits or other healthy desserts lately. I am always trying out the new perfect low cal cake or dessert recipe. I found a few online that did taste good.
    Hth,
    L

2 people like this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

oh my same problem with me too thatswhy i am planning on not doing any specials over the weekend.. if i enter the kitchen then i want to do this and that.. and i end up making a whole lot and if no one eats then i have to eat everything hahahaha... so last weekend i didnt do anything and i did control my diet over the weekend but end up eating cheetos,baked lays, cookie hahahhaa... thatswhen i thought to start workout thread only for weekend but did not do it as i dont know how many people will be joining in... yes recently i started looking at the calories and i am backing off from the snacks.. if i workout almost 1.5 hrs i am burning 300 calories after all the hard work then that will go all waste when i ate small bag of chips or cookie... but its hard to resist sometimes.. you got to have it... but there are some small pack snacks 100 calorie once if you wish you can buy them and keep it over for the weekend but have to make sure to eat only one pack... if not dont even try that and end up eating whole box/bag.. hahahha

i started eating fruits (thanks so much for other wonderful ladies,who advised me on this... ) which is making me feel good and trying to step away from other junks... but sometimes we have to try very hard....... eventhou we feel like to eat... have to step away....

1 person likes this.
  4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

hi,

try to avoid eating out and it's okay to eat few junk once a week but try to limit that junk level.

it's very hard for me to resist biscuits. i've already stopped taking chocolates, chips, muruku items or any sweets...

also, try to buy brown rice which is very good for health..

1 person likes this.
  5. joel123

joel123 Gold IL'ite

Always keep some fruits or dry fruits or something healthy in store..and never let yourself feel hungry...at the moment you feel you are kind of moving onto the hungry mode, have a fruit...make lime juice and store in your refrigerator ...you feel so fresh when you have it...specially when you feel down and crave to snack....also don't get glued to the television...get out of the house and get involved in some outdoor activity...could even be lazily roaming around....you feel fresh and forget the craving...never have a snack in hand when on phone or watching tv...
    once in a while do have a healthy and not so damaging cheat meal..
    all said, it demands a lot of drive to do all this and stay on track...in my case I would think iam gonna be really strict and don't encourage anything unhealthy....but sometimes even when I don't have craving, my DH is in all mood to rejoice :) and we lose track....so do it combined...make sure you both plan for the cheat meal and decide on a day....and stick onto it...rather than both eating when either have cravings !

hope it helps!
    all the best

1 person likes this.
  6. crazysans

crazysans Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Laks, I just asked my DH to get me a kitchen scale. I think I need to seriously start measuring the foods before I eat. Thanks for the tip :)

Snacking is something that I was able to workout mostly ... I have stocked up few low fat dips and some low fat crackers to go with them. I like veg. sticks (carrot, cucumber mostly)with Dips as well, keeps me full for longer. This week has gone fine in this aspect will see how I do over the weekend. WIll update you all for sure.

Also most of the days its Dosa for dinner , and I am trying to eat it will less/no oil and with some other chutney other than peanut chutney. I actually like peanut chutney that eat atleast 3 full tbsp or even more sometimes, which is like ~200 cal in itself. Trying to have an additional Veg chutney along side so I eat less of it. I am also thinking of replacing brown rice in Dosa instead of normal rice , so its good for my whole family. Never tried that before , shall give it a try and update here.

1 person likes this.