1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wedge pillow

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Jan 13, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Anitha, the food coming up till the foodpipe, but not out is called Silent Reflux. It can lead to other issues like wheezing, hoarseness, and if it is persistent and untreated turn the child off food. Rithik is not trying to swallow, but it is another type of reflux. Please do have it evaluated and if your paed is suggesting the wedge pillow, it is a good investment, really.
    Oesophagial sphincter is not well developed in premature children, but there could be other issues like allergies to certain food (including cow's milk protein in formula). If your child is on regular formula, ask for an hypoallergenic formula or an hydrolysed formula.

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Wheezing? Are you kidding me dear? Pls dont give me SHOCK :drowning
    Am giving Rithik only my BM but am noticing this milk coming to food pipe since a long time and also brought this to ped notice.. She recommonded zantac syrup which we were asked to stop using and also suggested this pillow..

But this milk coming up and leading to wheezing is a real shock for me.. When this comes up he is trying to gulp that and taking it to his tummy back which is making me surprised and also some curd like milk(to indicate digestion) also comes out but he sucks that also inside..

*Adding - Forgot to mention that once when I asked this to ped he said there is nothing to worry and this kind of split ups are normal like so we left it

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  3. AnithaPartha

Thnx for response dear..
    Pls do let me know - 1. pillow brand 2. where to buy this 3. approx cost of it

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

No, Anitha, not at all trying to scare you. Silent reflux is common and can be very easily managed with zantac or the newer medicines like lanzol. In silent reflux, the chance of acid and food (i.e. bm) entering the wind pipe is quite high and it can irritate the tissues in windpipe enough to cause wheezing. This happens routinely with my DS. But when you keep him upright, gravity then will pull the food back into the stomach and stop it from entering the windpipe, that's why it is suggested that the child be kept upright after feeds, burped frequently and made to lie down on a wedge. Wheezing is mostly not life threatening, just adds to the child's feeling of discomfort.
    Also, since you are off formula for your child now, you may want to reduce the amount of milk products in your food to rule out cow milk protein intolerance as a cause. If reducing the amount of milk product has no effect on Rithik's reflux, then it probably only due to his early birth and he will soon outgrow it.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

Though DS doesn't have it, I have heard it lately about "silent reflux" with lots of my friends...
    So try cutting regular milk(Vitamin D,1% and 2%) in your diet..Instead drink "Lactose free" milk and see if that makes a difference..

Hope your LO outgrows it soon.

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

I found this one but it is a lil expensive but probably worth it to treat your sons problem..
    Amazon.com: Preemie/Bassinet AR Pillow Wedge - Acid Reflux Pillow Wedge for Premature Babies 3-10 lbs. (Preemies) - Safely Elevate to a 30 Degree Angle - The Researched, Proven & Best Positioner to Relieve Colic & Reflux: Baby

You might want to try even Babies R Us/Buy Buy Baby..I am sure they will have some other alternative..

7. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi
    Our paed gave it...sorry dunno the cost...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  8. AnithaPartha

Thnx dear Tikka & Sudha :)(I just read this but I replied on other thread w/o seeing this)

Oh, am drinking this Vit-D milk only.. But 2% reduced I think.. Should I stop it? Whats this lactose free milk dear? Where can I get it? Let me know brand name too..

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

"Lactaid" is one of the brands of lactose-free milk..

I have also read that even Soy Milk - brand name "SILK" can also be used instead..
    Just read the ingredients before you buy..

You should be able to get these in Walmart.

I am not asking you to stop regular milk..All I am saying is try drinking lactose free milk and see if that makes any difference in your son's spit ups!!!

Basically try cutting down all diary products for few days and see if it makes any difference!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

There is a huge difference between lactose intolerance or the inability to digest the sugar (lactose) in the cow's milk or human milk and cow's milk protein allergy. While lactose intolerance can be managed by taking lactaid (it is basically lactase enzyme that breaks down the lactose sugar) or low-lactose milk, cow's milk protein allergy has to be tackled only by avoiding milk and milk products. Cow's milk has caesin and whey proteins to which a person with CMP allergy is sensitive. While most of the cow's milk or milk product you consume is broken down by the acids in your stomach and intestine, the larger protein molecules is passed on through your breast milk to child. If your child is reacting to the CMP in your breast milk and if the green stools were to continue try and avoid dairy completely. In it's place you can drink soy milk or rice milk and take a calcium supplement. Do talk to your doctor about elimination diet if the symptoms persist. It is better to go on an elimination diet with professional help, because you need the good nutrition too. Hope things settle down quickly for you Anitha.