Wedding/Marriage Halls-Pls Give Me Suggestions

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by iamdesi, Jan 26, 2011.

1. iamdesi

iamdesi New IL'ite

Hi,
    Could you pls give me some suggestions on what needs to be kept in mind when booking hall?
    We don't plan it to make too extravagant at the same time we don't want any compromise in temrs of cleanliness,space, comfort etc

Pls do suggest!!!I need your help!!

2. swathika

swathika Junior IL'ite

Best is to see if you have attended any previous marriages in any of the halls and if you found it nice book them. Typically I have not seen any issues with cleanliness at least for the marriages that I have attended. (from a big shot hall to a obscure one).

Few quick things...

After you find out your approximate number of people attending, see if the main hall would be able to accomodate them. This kind of stands out and makes the wedding memorable I think
    size of dining hall - too many people, too small a place long queue
    proximity to bus stop if you have too many of the city people coming in. People coming in morning and leaving in evening.
    Parking space - Some halls offer this and it is appreciated
    Number of rooms available.
    A/c non A/c as required
    How is the cost calculated 2 days/3 days ?

I think if you are able to mention the city where the wedding is to happen people may be able to come up with suggestions.

3. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Hi IAD,

Swathika has given you good suggestions. Apart from this, you also need to look at:

Kitchen facilities - find out if they charge for vessels etc, or if the caterer/contractor can get their own.
    Bedding etc - Some halls can charge for this separately, so find out in advance as to how much it will cost. (Or be prepared to bring your own pillows/bed spreads/mats etc)
    Electricity - Some halls charge separately for this too. Find out how much you will need to pay. Some halls provide illumination at night, find out about htis.
    Decorations - The hall I got married, charged separately for this. This is another thing you need to find out.
    Also find out if they have any restricitions about anything. You dont want to be taken short before or at the time of the wedding. (The hall I got married had restrictions about how loud music could be kept, but that is understandable.) Check for the acoustics of the hall if yyou are planning on kutcheris. (It is better to hire the speakers etc than use the ones they provide) Find out about cleaning costs.
    If there are to be many older people in the crowd, see to that the dining hall is on the ground floor (or easily accessible). It would be better if there were at least 2 or 3 rooms on the ground floor (nearer to the medai). It would also be better if there were separate and clean places for washing hands (after meals) and clean rest rooms as well.. (at least 1 or 2 western type ones would make life a lot easier)
    Check the security of the hall. People should not walk in willy-nilly and enjoy free food!!
    Unjal - They will have one surely, but check it out. Make sure that they dont charge for that..
    Plates/Thambalams - Typically in an Iyer wedding, they will require lots of plates(thambalams), it is worth checking out if the hall provides it or will you need to bring it yourself.
    If you are having a traditional 2/3 day wedding, find out if you can come to the hall before... ie say ur wedding is on tuesday and wednesday, find out if you can avail at least one room on monday night. Taht way the bulk of the stuff that needs to be taken can be moved to the hall, and you can go to the hall in peace .
    Check that the rooms are clean, and safe. Check each individual room. (Do not neglect this)

This is all I can think of now. BTW, which city are you getting married in?

Mythili

4. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

Hi amdesi..
    i will tell you wat are all the things which we saw for my marriage..
    It is better to get a wedding hall near your house.If not better pack all your things neatly way ahead and number it.So you dont go and search for things when required.

Number of guests.Then decide on AC or Non AC.If your marriage is in winter time then you have an option for non AC coz you dont need AC when the climate itself is cool.
    So if you plan for AC Hall,if the capacity of the hall is 100 then your guests should be equal or less than hundred.People will end up suffocating when there is no effect of AC and Air Circulation is not there.

Number of rooms available,do ask your partner's room requirement.If rooms are not available then you have tobook it outside.

Bathroom facilities.Please check it as it is very essential.

Atlast check the hall and dinning hall capacity.Do keep in mind that the crowd will always be moving and not stagnant.

Do ask the rent and other electricity bill paymeny and decoration charges.Discuss woth the management thoroughly.

All the best for your marriage.May god give you all the happiness.

asha

5. iamdesi

iamdesi New IL'ite

Thank You sooo much!!!!! Guess what , even my Granma is a huge fan of this forum. "Netile kettu paareein. Avaa correctaa cholluvaaa" :)

It's gonna be held in Bangalore. Tamil Iyer style wedding