1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Gifts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 6, 2015.

1. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Really enjoyed your post (as always!). I am coming here after such a long time and the first thing that caught my attention was this post of yours!

I am of the same opinion as yours that gifting causes a never ending give and take cycle that is hard to get out from.

Gifting is indeed a tricky thing, at least for me. First of all, I am not very creative in thinking about what would be a good gift for someone. Secondly, I am lazy to think about it and go shopping for it (even if it is online shopping!). Thirdly, I do think that the people that invite me for any occasion where a gift is warranted, have the capacity to buy whatever they need. So, in the material sense, my gift does not really add to their already existing possessions.

My disinterest in gifting reached new heights (undesirable though!) this year. When on his birthday, my husband expressed his interest in getting himself a sports coat, I told him that he really does not need one as he has quite a few. He was totally bummed! I felt really bad that such a thing came out of my mouth :)

Well, I think that if at all anyone that I know needs a gift, they need the gift of more time for themselves, more time with the people they care about, more time with the friends they enjoy meeting, they need genuine friends, they need people around them that are honest to them, they need people that they can count on in sad and happy times. If I can be even one of above to a person, then I think I have given them a great gift! Of course, they may not think so! :)

My Dad refuses to take anything from us kids or anyone else, for that matter. Not because he is uncomfortable taking, but because he does not need anything is what he says. He has been wearing the same shirts for 20 years now and we all are bored seeing them but he is not. We generally buy decent quality clothes so no color fading, no tearing, no nothing! So the clothes really last a lifetime now!! Plus, he says getting gift is more of a headache for him because he has to find a use for them, a place to keep them. If he does not use what people (the close ones) give him then they get upset that he is being too uptight. So, he simply makes everyone upset the first time by refusing to take anything. Now no one bothers him with gifting :). He loves good company and good food and is never shy to take that as a gift!

Oh well, I think that my reply may be longer than your original post, Kamalji! It was a great post and extremely enjoyable and honest. So, loved it!!

SS

1 person likes this.
  2. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Dear kamalji , i like the way you pick on current problems always , something like current affairs .
    I sometimes feel our big fat indian weddings have become great indian tamashas - both from the hosts and guests sides .
    When the guests walk over to the podium and proudly present their gifts meant to show their wealth , there are some who cannot keep up and are forced to cheat like handing over empty boxes or envelopes.
    A very shameful incident happened in my cousin's marriage. My uncle is a very well known and helpful person . So they received a lot of cash and gold and silver articles as wedding gifts . Some near relatives were put in charge of them . But we don't know how but majority of the envelopes and boxes were found to be open and gift items removed. They incurred a loss of lakhs of rupees and again the same problem about how much to give as the return gifts when the time comes .

3. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Good morning Kamalji,

I had read this article in TOI and was eagerly waiting for your thoughts on it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post as well as all the FBs.

My perception about receiving gifts is changing with age.

Before I got married, we cousins used to vie with each other to receive the gifts at the family wedding. Becoz, we could stand next to the bride and the groom and get our photos clicked. Why deck up, if u cannot be noticed. hahahaha!!!

Another advantage is that, from that vantage point on the podium u can see everyone and comment on their dresses. When a person is decked up in all finery, even their mannerism changes.

Now coming to actual part about receiving or giving gifts, I feel it is a good gesture. As long as we don't judge the person by the value of the gifts, then it is a enjoyable experience.

Now that I am always over looked for standing on the podium part, I can roam around the whole place and see everyone at close quarters.

Return gifts have always been in vogue in India. becoz, any time somebody comes to our house esp. ladies, it is a tradition to give them kumkum and a blouse piece or fruits.

From the time I have started working, it has always been that we have pooled in our resources to buy a gift for any official wedding. And we usually just give the cash.

Hence the question of returning the same amount does not arise in our office.
    Family wedding, well the less said the better. Becoz u r always judged by ur gifts nothing can satisfy some people in the family.

As usual all ur jokes were rocking Sir.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akansha,

Regarding the birtday of kids , and what to give, a friend of mine has two grandkids, and he buys gifts in wholesale and keeps, to give, so they dont have to go and shop.Trend is coming of return gifts. Since u are in the states, u dont attend many marriages, here we have so many to attend, that ladies rent or borrow expensive handbags.HHA.

Return gifts website eh ! Wow, world is moving fast for an oldie like me.HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krish,

You are a good person and a rare one that does not like to recive. A rare breeed indeed.

what u say about analzying the gift is fine, krish in one way. but when u have received cash envellopes from others for say yr sons weddings, and now when the time comes to return the cash, one gets confused who gave what.

Now if yr friend gave 1100/- for example and u land up giving 251/- does it look good. 251 was good when u had not received, for u are then not obliged to give a partricular amount, but the moment one accepts , then one must reciprocate in the cash department at least.

Read what has come after yr FB, more interesting things.HAHA

Regards

kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krish,

You are a good person and a rare one that does not like to recive. A rare breeed indeed.

what u say about analzying the gift is fine, krish in one way. but when u have received cash envellopes from others for say yr sons weddings, and now when the time comes to return the cash, one gets confused who gave what.

Now if yr friend gave 1100/- for example and u land up giving 251/- does it look good. 251 was good when u had not received, for u are then not obliged to give a partricular amount, but the moment one accepts , then one must reciprocate in the cash department at least.

Read what has come after yr FB, more interesting things.HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

tHE gIRLYGIRL.

Cash is king eh ! Yes it is crude. better write we dont want anything.and this cash i feel is useless, gets spent that way itself, and all our life we become creditors and we have to now give that money when the time comes. So better not ask in the first place and let the guests enjoy yr hospitality.

What say ?

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear pushpa,

When our friends have their silver jubliees, we friends combine and buy a big gift.

Actually these days everyone has everything, so giving gifts is not practical.Better is cash in case one has to give.

But if smeone says no gifts or cash, how nice that would be for everyone eh !

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

in our family too we share all the function expenses with the boys side. We give whatever jewellery we want to our daughter, and they are free to give whatever they want to our daughter,

it was nice of u and wife to love that girl as yr o wn daughter, not many have those feelings.

These days marriages are not like the olden days, now it is more commercial in all the ways. But well we have to move with the times and i think it is time for educated people to stop accepting cash and gifts from other than close family where u cannot avoid, like an aunt or a maasi giving, but from others, a strict no no. let people come and enjoy the wedding, instead of worrying what to give, most of which does not come in use these days.

Regards

kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear SS,

Welcome to my blogs, and to indus too.Welcome.

So nice to hear that u too do not agree with the giving business. it is outdated i feel and the sooner we accept it the better that not to give or take.

yes u are right there, what is unique that we can give the couple, they must be having everything they want.

yes our company may bot be valued , people have their own thoughts these days.most is commercialized, so different from the olden days , when relatives would throng yr house, sleep on the floors, one toilet for 20, and it looked like a marriage house, now everyone in hotels, with taxis and all that.

i am like yr dad, i too dont take gifts, for myself, for i have all that i need. and i ahve lost the desire for material things, i jsut need the basics which i have in plenty.

Your reply is sensible and lovely and do keep coming regularly to indus and if possible to my space, u are p recious.

Happy new year to u and yr family and give my loves to yr dad.

Regards

kamal