Wedding gift ideas for an overseas couple

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nuss, Dec 4, 2014.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to get some wedding gift ideas. My nephew just got married. He and his wife are visiting India in January. My sister is planning a wedding reception in India for them as the wedding was in Australia. My family I will be there to attend the reception.
    The couple will be in India for a short duration (3 weeks). Fortunately, I was able to spend some time with the couple in Australia a week before their wedding. At that time, I gave my nephew's to-be wife a gold necklace and a Cashmere shawl/scarf and $400 to the couple for wedding present.
    I want to buy something small for them that they can take with them and won't cost me too much either (Max $200). I don't want to buy jewelry for the bride. I am sure my sisters and mom are going to buy jewelry. Some things I thought are:
    -A watch set (I love watches but I know my nephew cares less for a watch)
    -2N stay in a nice hotel (NeemRana fort is quite close to us) in India. My nephew's wife is from Europe, she might like to see a more places.
    - cash for shopping in India

Could you please suggest something that you might have received at your wedding and absolutely loved it or found it a practical gift?

2. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

The cash option would be the best in my opinion. The couple resides in Australia. So buying anything would be risky simply because they would have to carry it back with them. Booking a resort stay for them would be nice, but you would have to make sure the dates are suitable to them.

1 person likes this.
  3. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

the neemrana option sounds like a great idea.

1 person likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you DKI and Coolwinds. Yes, we'll confirm the dates with the couple if we book the hotel.
    I am hoping to get more ideas :)

5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Nuss- I like the 2 night stay at the hotel or cash. Cash is the best as they can do whatever they like with it.

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thanks sdiva!
    I talked to my nephew and his wife and they asked me to book a place for them in Amritsar so they can visit Golden temple. I am glad I asked.

sindmani likes this.
  7. lisacarter

lisacarter Junior IL'ite

Any sort of present you buy wont matter as long as it's from the heart. If you really want to give them something special, why not get them something that represents India as a whole like a statue of a temple or the entire nation as a whole.