1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Weather/Indian communities/cost of living/places to see in Cincinnati(Ohio)

Discussion in 'Indians in Cincinnati' started by tranquility, Apr 11, 2012.

1. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We may have to move to Cincinnati by this month end due to hubby's job. Though there are other options of Pittsburg and NC, his demand is more so in Ohio Cincinnati.My biggest concern is the weather in Cincinnati during winters.
    So I was wondering if anyone of you could give me their opinions with respect to the following:

1.) Weather during winter- Is it very cold and windy? what's the average lowest temp during winters? (my 2 yr old son catches immediate cold if its windy)
    2.) Indian communities, good apt complexes with indians..(names of the areas if possible)
    3.) Cost of living (like apartment rates for a 2 bedroom, electricity and gas bills) etc..), Safety of the locality.
    4.)A Very very good paediatrician (another reason i hate going from virginia is because i've got the best of best paediatrician for him here.)
    5.) Places to see around,visit at a distance of 3-4 hrs since summer has started...(eg in virginia we have zoos, safari, shenandoah valley, beach, aquarium
    6.)Daycares
    7.) Indian stores

Please ladies, Iam eagerly awaiting responses. Please take some time out to respond to my query...:spin
    Thanks a lot...

2. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Re: Cincinnati(Ohio) Ladies Please Help...

Hi ,
    My Family is also about to move to Cincy , OH from shelton , CT in a few weeks.
    I was doing my sort of exploration and find out the following. Hope it might be helpful to you too
    1) About Communities - Cincy has very good indian community. I think most of them are around Blue Ash , Mason . We have booked an apt in old montgomery because of the good school district.
    2 ) Check
    out the following sites
    Cincinnati Indian Community : Cincinnati - ekNazar
    Apna Ohio - Ohio Indian Community
    Cincinnati Indian Restaurants - Ohio Indian Community Guide
    Cincinnati Hindu Temple - Ohio Indian Community Guide ( Cincinnati Hindu Temple )

http://familyfriendlycincinnati.com/category/activities/
    I have shared whatever i know.
    Hoping to c you there :)
    Cheers
    Priya

3. tranquility

Hey Priya,
    Thanks a lot for ur help!! Wish the other local Cincinnatti ladies would also be kind enough to post here.... It would help both of us some more...

Come on Ohio ladies, please contribute and share ur opinions on my doubts and fears...

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

It does get very cold and snows, probably 4-5 big snows starting jan thru mar. It does not get as windy and one can get used to it otherwise!

There are many Indian communities. Looks like Blue ash is quite popular with some wait list even! You can also check out communities in symmes, mason, anderson and west chester. Looking at school district, blue ash, symmes, mason are the best.

Most of the above mentioned localities are safe and I can only take a guess that for a 2 bedroom it may be between 1200-1500. I donot knwo much about gas/electricity!
    referencing with neighbors and friends is the best way to approach!

Locally there are ofocourse downtown, aquarium etc. Else there is dayton airforce museum. Most places like chicago, detroit are about 4-5hrs drive, DC being 8 and Niagara/Ny about 12!

plenty!
    plenty including a patel brothers...so are Indian restaurants!

5. tranquility

Hey Srama,

Thanks so much for taking time out to reply to my queries... My goodness! the reply to my first query itself is sending shivers down my spine!!! Is it "very" cold? I myself can't bear harsh winters. Whats gonna happen to me and my son, I don't know...:-( ... my husband likes cold weather very much...

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Well, tranquility! It really is not too bad once you are kind of ready mentally! So don't fear that - as you know this past winter was so warm, we were almost yearning for snow. You will like it just fine :) So are you dates decided?

7. gompu

gompu New IL'ite

Hi tranquility, Srama has already replied to your questions.
    I had replied to another thread on this forum by Priya regarding the places to live in Cincinnati. Take a look there as well for the list of apartment complexes with lot of Indians.

If you have any more questions, send me a message.

8. tranquility

Hey Srama,
    Hopefully I'll be mentally ready by the time the cincinnati winter sets in... :) Yes we are entering Ohio on 1st of May. After that we'll hunt for apts and move in within a week. Till then we'll be in a hotel..

9. tranquility

Hey Gompu (cute name btw..)

I'll check out ur relpy to priya too.. And in case required, will msg u...

10. vedashruthi

vedashruthi New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Moving to Cincinnati over this weekend, I am looking for Shared accommodation. Please let me know if you guys have any rooms avaliable.