1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing koorai podavai (Nine yards saree) in South Indian Weddings

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by iyerviji, Jul 6, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

In South Indian Weddings during the time of tying the thali (mangal sutra) the bride has to wear Nine yards saree which takes a long time if experienced person is not there to help them in wearing the Nine yards saree.

Now a days the brides change the bangles according to the colour of the saree so it takes time to change everything. Before tying the thali they have the Oonjal during which time Palum , Pazam(Milk in which sugar and plantain bits are put) is given and other rituals are done by 5 ladies. Palum pazam is given by all the relatives in the family whereas the other things are done only by 5 ladies. The time taken for palum pazam sometimes takes long time and there is less time to wear the Nine yards saree. In case experience ladies are there it takes less time to wear the saree and by the time they wear and come out the priest also hurries them. Since the bride wears it for the first time she finds it difficult to manage . For some the koorai podavai is tied nicely but for some it does not come properly and they are not able to manage well with it.

Earlier the koorai podavai was Red or Maroon self coloured but now a days everyone buys any colour with attached border.

My husband's youngestsister was very fond of nine yards saree when she was young only andlearnt to wear that time only. So she became expert in wearing it. In our family for everyone's marriage she only tied the Nine yards saree for the bride and it was perfect. Earlier ladies used to wear nine yards saree only after marriage. But later everyone started wearing six yards. So some ladies dont know how to tie it when it is required to wear for functions.

8 people like this.

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijima!

I too love to wear Madisar and I also learnt it quite early from my paati, observing her tying the saree when we were in a joint family. Since then, all my nieces (nanand's daughters) would insist that I should only tie it for them during their weddings or functions. I would tell them then their nanands will get angry if I grab the chance from them :)

Now also for Karadayan Nonbu, Kaarthigai deepam and on shraddham days, I wear 9 yrds saree only.

I love wearing that and many tell me that it suits me and that even in that saree no tummy is seen on me :) So such comments make me happy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Viji, when you say South Indian, you mean only Tamil Brahmins? Because I don't know if other people form Kerala, Karnataka and AP wear the saris like Tamil Madisar?

I wore it couple of times in my 38 my life. Love to wear it. Even though I married an Iyer, I wore Iyengar Madisar for my cousin's wedding. My in laws like it. It looks beautiful. I think they should give time for the bride to wear and dress up well before the Thali Ceremony.
    I love traditional colors only.
    Nice write up, Viji.

CL

4. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Vijima
    Madisaar is always my favourite. As your SIL did, I too had lot trial sessions before my marriage and somehow mangaed to wear by myself during my wedding. For the first sumangali prarthanai at my ILs place, I wore it by myself which surprised everyone. Nowadays, girls are seeking help for even wearing 6 yards, but on those days our granys wore it even at the age of 10. I wore it for auspicious occasions like nonbu, Mavilakku, karthigai etc.,
    My koora pudavai is meroon only. I asked my MIL before wedding that can I take it different colour (since I love Mango colour), but she said that I should take only in meroon as per family tradition. Even now I have an eye on mango colour 9 yards. Hope will get it soon. Thanks for bringing back those nice memories

1 person likes this.
  5. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

I am always to first to wear my madisar pudavai for any family function because I have a ready made stitched madisar pudavai and i just have to insert my legs and tie the thread. Then finishing touch with the pallu and
    I am ready before anyone has even done doing their 'kosuvam' (pleats)

Everything is ready made today so why not madisar'?

3 people like this.
  6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Sushi, Is it Iyer or Iyengar ready made Madisar? Where can you get it?

Thanks.

CL

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I too like the Madisar saree. Of course my MIL told me to get a normal length Silk saree in my wedding.My relative Maami tied the saree for me.Next time for my FIL's ceremony.I hope to learn it so that I can tie it on important days.

8. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

Vijima

Even i am not brahmin but i am very happy to know your Sarees concept.thanks for sharing

9. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Vijima,

Your post on madisar saree with nine yards never seen in any weddings in Malaysia. But loved reading your thread on saree concepts. thanks for sharing ma.

Shanti

10. sushi

sushi Silver IL'ite

Coffee Lover,
    I love you for being a coffee lover as I too love my coffee.

Secondly for ready made madisar saree, you can get it stitched according to your needs (iyer/iyengar) through Shanthi Tailors who are experts in stitching bharatnatyam dresses. The shop is next to RASI Silks near Kapaleeswarar temple in Mylapore.

It is better to buy a 10 yards cotton silk or some other material 10 yards saree and give that for stitching. They take your hip size and how long you need it.. You make sure to tell them that you need a long pallu (fist one I made the pallu was short and as the beauty of madisar lies in bringing it to the front and tugging it in the front hip, I was disappointed. next one I made is sure that they made it long enough) Why I tell you to buy a new saree is the koorai pudavai which was worn in the marriage time is too precious for us and you may like to wear it as it is sometimes. all the best..

Life become easier if you go with the readymade tide.

4 people like this.