1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

weaning- what to give when baby is six month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sanchita22, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Sanchita22

Sanchita22 Silver IL'ite

Hi!
    Friends, soon by baby will be six month old. What should I give as first solid. It should me home made or ready to eat food available in the market like cerelac. Please advice .......

2. nithyapry

nithyapry Senior IL'ite

two days before i have consulted doctor for my baby just crossed 6 months. doctor advised me to start with Idli for morning breakfast at 8.30 then toordal and boiled rice with Ghee for lunch at 1.30, clear veg soup at evening 5.30.

Don'ts: do not blend food items in mixer grinder, do not give any milk items (curd,cheese, etc..) till 1 year for baby.

we should start giving from small quantity then we could increase accordingly. he asked me to come after one month for review. he would be giving rest then.

if needed you could add farex, nestum, cerelac for child only once in a week. just in case if we go out of station our baby should be able to sustain.

Hope this helps. all the best.

2 people like this.
  3. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

According to the latest guidelines (atleast in the US), baby can given anything except honey before the age of one. But hold off on milk until after one because you don't want milk to replace formula or breast milk. It's best to avoid things like cerelac as its highly processed and does not have much nutrition. It's better to give your baby ragi instead.
    I started my baby off with soft nutrient dense foods like avocado and steamed sweet potato at first. I gave them to him in spears so he could hold on to them and try to feed himself. Though of course you can purée it and give it to your baby. Egg, yogurt and banana were some of his other first goods. Idlis, softly cooked rice and dal are also great for a baby.

1 person likes this.
  4. nithyapry

nithyapry Senior IL'ite

Thanks you so much.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can give any food except honey and cows milk. Milk products like curd, cheese etc. can be given. It is better not to give milk directly.

1 person likes this.