1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weaning off the swing

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Mahi8, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Mahi8

Mahi8 New IL'ite

Hey! I need some advice! I have a 11 month old who will only take naps in her swing. She sleeps in a cosleeper at night and goes to bed pretty well. However, during the day, she will only sleep in her swing. I've tried to put her in her crib-- her room is dark, with an oscillating fan and a sound machine (all things she sleeps with at nighttime). She will not go to sleep without screaming herself to sleep in that crib. Don't really know what to do. She'll be exceeding the weight limit of the swing soon, so we won't really have a choice sooner than later.

2. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

You will have to just give her make her feel tired before she sleeps. Don't allow her to sleep for many hours. Let her play. Then she will automatically sleep anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Say you put her in the bed and she screams, what do you do? If by screaming she has gotten her swing back, she will not hesitate to cry for twice as long the next time to get it. She didn't get used to the swing in a day; she isn't about to forget it in a day either. It will be painful to make a transition at any time.

You could let her nap in the swing for now until she absolute has to be moved. Our you could bite the bullet and not give in when she screams. Comfort her and keep saying "calm down darling. We are just taking a nap." Regardless of when you make the switch, there are going to be huge tears. Be prepared for them. Be very calm and supportive through her tantrum and you will weather it.

4 people like this.
  4. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

I second @guesshoo. Be prepared for evrythg, she ll cry till she gets satisfied with t new way but soon she ll give away t old one. Dont worry she ll be fine soon, i hv been in such situations many times in t last 2.5yrs.

Be calm n hold patience.

1 person likes this.
  5. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

@mahi8, Thank you for the like.

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

@mahi8, Thank you for the like.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am not a fan of CIO methods. I feel there are gentler ways to sleep train. Yes, initially she is going to resist her naps. Few days of other methods and she will get trained.

Try singing, reading a book, gentle swaying whichever works for you. Yes, it might become a habit. But this is not something that we are going to be doing until the kids go to college.

1 person likes this.