1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

weaning for 16 months okd

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by deebajegan, Jul 25, 2011.

1. deebajegan

deebajegan New IL'ite

hi
    my son is 16 month old. he wakes up thrice during nights for feeding. i stopped mother feed in days.i cant make him to forget at nights. can someone pls give advice.

2. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

deeba,
    weaning depends totally on the mother/parent and child's readiness for weaning. moreover every child
    is different and no one advice will hold good for all.

so if you are very clear/firm about weaning your child off night feeds, try any of the following:
    1. simply STOP feeding him. but mind you - the consequences are bit hard - it will take time - about a week to 10 days for the child to get used to the idea that he is not gonna get any more feeds. he might be ok, or not be ok and throw fits in the night - which will in turn be hard on you and both of you will only end up getting more frustrated. be prepared for anything.
    2. slowly wean him off by reducing the feed to once a night. give him water instead of milk when he wakes up.
    3. if you have strong heart/will - use the cry out method - wherein he keeps crying but gets no feed. finally sleeps with exhaustion. IMO - this is not a good idea. im totally against this.

what worked for me:
    i too was anxious and sleep deprived and wanted to wean off my LO when he was 16 months old. But then after posting here and reading many responses - i realized to just give him some more time. i reduced his night feed from thrice to once and now @ 20 months - DS sleeps the night without feed :). if at all he wakes up, i pat him back to sleep. else, give him water if he is too fussy. but no milk/feed. so from last 1 week im a happoer mom sleeping non stop for 8 hrs :)

my 2 cents:
    suggest to give your LO some more time. eventually he will get used to it. after all weaning a baby off is more hard work for the parent than the baby. because when we forcefully wean a baby off - we parents have to be awake the entire night to make them sleep... so just hang in there for now. this phase too shall pass :)

all the best!

3. deebajegan

deebajegan New IL'ite

thanks headspin for ur useful reply. i will workout this:)