We must learn to accept situations (Gita 2.13 & 2.14).

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

An anchor-like post as usual from you.

I am sure it is a sound advice for anybody at anytime. However, at this moment, I am filled with extreme grief. I was just following a story of a missing baby( Baby grace ) on CNN. A toddler baby girl was beat and tortured to death in the pretext of discipline by her own mom and step father( I have deliberately excluded the graphical details). Being a toddler's mother myself, I just cannot accept this and let alone digest this story. If I just accept the story, will I not be devoid of Karunyam? I know that I sound back to square one after all the prep-work done by you to come this far. But, I would really like to understand what Gita's way of handling such situations we come across...

-Gayathri.

2. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

Dear chith

a very gud teaching which cums exactly when i need it......situations dun change for us.....VERY VERY TRUE.....We need to decide how to react to these changing situations and make life pleasant for us....So will have this teaching in mind and let me try to look around myself with postivie energy to make myself happy with the available situations.....

lov
    sowmi

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri,
    You have raised a very pertinent query - I really do not know, how to answer you !
    Perhaps the explanation ( this, I am giving more for arguement's sake!) can, be, the baby was spared of a very torturous & unhappy life, had the baby lived with such cruel parents.God spared the baby of more agonising period.
    I feel most unkind to say this - but the Law of Karma is the only answer to this. I do not want to go into details, explaining this for obvious reasons.
    Gita's answer can be (perhaps), the baby has shed this janma to enter into a better janma ! I really find this a difficult question !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Sowmi,
    You sound very mature for your age with your statement. It needs a lot of maturity to accept this & you are doing it. God bless you, Sowmi !
    Love,
    Chith.

5. Chitvish

Dear Sindhu,
    Nice to see you back !
    Even a thread was started to "trace you" !shakehead
    Yes, the learning process can be slow, but if you have made a beginning, it is very good.There is no point in thinking forever that we can remain unchanged, but people & situations will change for us ! It will never happen.
    Thanks, Sindhu.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

DearMadhu,
    Life is a continuous learning process. So, do not worry at all. At my age, I am still learning valuable lessons. We must keep ourselves receptive & open - that is the only thing we must do.
    I am glad you had a nice holiday. Needless to say that I did miss your feedbacks.
    Next time, when you come to India, do try to run to Chennai - I would love to meet you, without fail.
    Thanks, Madhu.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear C

Many thanks for considering my question and answering it convincingly. I was thinking in lines of karma just to console and feel good cited by you. This I thought is a sample everyday life situation we face, where we have no control over the happening, but grieve about it. Though I was thinking about the Karma aspect, I could sense the pain and could not take it off my mind.

Once in a while, how about doing some case study? We can pick up some life situation and figure out how to look at it as per Vedanta. I know that you provide a lot of real life analogy in your posts and this is like asking for too much. But, it is just a thought.

-Gayathri.

8. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    This is just, loud thinking.
    Let us assume, the karma theory is undisputable.
    Then what happens to the mother of the child who committed this horrendous crime? Will she not get paid back in her own coin? Now, reverse the situation - I hope you understand what I mean. I do not want to be more explicit !
    Being an ardent student of vedanta, I find only that answers every question.
    Nothing goes unpaid for, in this Universe.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    If everybody could follow these principles.....! How beautiful life would be!

We cannot totally remove ourselves from the opposites or remove them from us. We must try our best to improve the situation also. But we can never expect that things will be always pleasant to us. Physical pain is not something that is totally avoidable. Sorrow, on the other hand, is something you build onto the pain because of a particular way of thinking. This is where we have to change cognitively.

I have always felt we are solely the cause for our happiness or sorrows. Even when something goes wrong, I first start analysing what was the reason for things to have gone the other way and always, I have found the needle pointing towards me! Then I take corrective measures to undo the situation. But sometimes destiny does intervene where there are no answers and it is during such times that we really look up at our creator for answres. And believe, He does answer most of the times!
    Regards,
    Malathi

10. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

Nice Article....

I agree with you that the word "Change" is the only thing which doesnt change and rest all does... Accepting the situation as they are... It is easily said than done... I feel it comes with age, experience and wisdom... I know lot of people who are not willing to accept the change and come in terms to the reality...

Grief/Sad... It continues from one Janma to the other... I have heard that we will try to satisfy our unachieved goals in our next janma... Rather the atma will try to satify itself for the goals not attained... Until all the desires are satisfied, the atma will not attain mukthi... So the wiseman will not desire and grieve in longong for the same... I dont know whether I am right or wrong...

How true those words are... But applying the Karma theory... The situations arise purely because of your poorva janama karma... And again, your mentality to accpet the situation and be happy or Brood over it again goes back to the same Karma...

May be I am blabbering too much... or do I make some sense, I dont know... But what I understand is that... Whether to be be happy or sorrow is in our hands... Again our thought process depends upon our karma....