1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We have so many choices on all things.. But are we happy?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by swathi14, Jun 22, 2009.

1. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai friends, How are you? after a long time I am meeting you.

We are in a consumer world. We have choices on almost all the things. so many brands, so many varieties

Take a mobile.. So many brands and in one brand so many varieties..

Cars, bikes, dresses, jewellery - every item with so many varieties, waiting for us to choose what ever we want.

In food - Indian, Chinease, western food with so many varieties - making us drooling..

In cosmetics, dresses - a big world with so many designs and colours..

Remember the days before 20 years. We used to have only one pen for the whole year. The elder one's books will be circulated among the younger.

Only government schools, a TV showing only official channels, not much of movies.

We are in a better state now. But is that brings happiness? I dont think so. We have so many modern gadgets to lead an easily life. But the inner peace is gone.

Even a LKG going student is telling that he is in tension and the life is boring

Where we are making mistake? We are passing all our lives in getting all the modern utilities and gadgets..But never spending our life in sharing and caring..

Like Robots we work for 8/10 hours, eat what we get, time pass in a way we like and sleeping like corpus.

The liveliness is missing in our life. We lost our humanity.

We lost our patience and we want to enjoy all the worldly happiness in one way or other..

I am worried about the next generation, which is not at all caring about others and are self-centered..

Kindly share your views to change the present robotic world to a lively world?

andal

2. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Hi Andal,

Nice write up, but I can not agree with you completely. I agree that today we are living a hectic fast phased life, but I don't think we lost our humanity or happiness totally. With all the latest gadgets and technology available, we come to know about the world happenings much faster and better now and because of the vast exposure that we have now, it seems to look like as though world is full of people who does crimes and inhumane actions. I don't think and believe the human nature can change drastically in one or few generations. I totally believe that happiness is within you and how you choose to look at things. Now a days, it is a trend to say that we have lost our peace totally, wars happening throughout the world, etc,etc. I just want to say, it started long back and it is still happening, thats all. This will even pass.

I can honestly say that I am living a peaceful happy and content life with good human beings surrounded, that might be the reason why I am seeing this world in a positive way.

I am not here to argue or oppose your thoughts, this is just my opinion, I am really sorry If I hurt you in any ways. I can definitely agree with you to certain extent. Have a nice day and keep blogging.

The only possible way to make this world a better place to live in is by instilling good habits / humanity / courage/ straight forwardness/ honesty / confidence in the children who are the foundation of next generation. I read a wonderful blog about how to bring up your Children in IL. If everyone follows that, World would be a better place to live in. I am very sorry for this long post.

3. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Hi Andal,

I have misunderstood your thoughts when I first read it. I am very sorry about that. Now, I understand what you are totally up to.

Coming to the point..

You have to follow simple things to make your world a lively one. I think you are already doing it - by spending time with your loved ones in a lovely place( taking your kids to the beach). We should get a practice of having dinner together with the family and spend some quality time together instead of staring at the TV / Computer/ Video games/ any gadgets all the time. Most important thing is that you have to allocate some time to nuture your passion whatever it may be. Just my 2 cents.

4. depressed

depressed Bronze IL'ite

Nice write up, Andal. In this age, we are buying a lot of stuffs and stocking them up in our wardrobes, fridges, kitchens, bookshelves, etc.

Things around the house are multiplying day by day. This is creating clutter and chaos.

So we should live simply.

1. Have simple meals
    2. Do not buy another book before completing the first book.
    3. Have simple decor in our living rooms, etc.etc.
    4. buy only one or two toys for our kid-give away old books, toys to the needy,etc.

In short, we should simplify our lives by having less and less items in our home.

Thanks
    NOW HAPPY

5. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dearest Andal,

You have second the sayings of our elders, but honestly when I think of myself, I am happier to have an AC, a car, a mobile, access to internet etc, which I was not having 20 yrs. back. Those hot summers with lots of power cuts, lesser communication with grandparents, lesser knowledge of what's going around the world. It was tough.. And again if I rethink, it was because of financial conditions.. Though there are hundreds and thousands of choices, we have a limit today and similarly our parents had a limit to choose in their times.. Life was not a luxury travelling in autos, sleeping under fans etc. and I feel happy when I sleep in an airconditioned room in hottest summers, travel in a luxury car, but I will be happier if I have my home fully air-conditioned etc. etc.

The only thing which is dynamic in this world is CHANGE. We change ourselves in different different situations in our life, and here, its almost a generation changed. We still love our parents, we still try everything to please our in -laws, we still love and serve our husbands like God, we still help our neighbours, the only change is that we can't spend more time with all , as we now go out and work hand in hand with our men to beat the competition and make our families happier...

So love is still there and it will be... Just my thoughts...
    But indeed dear Andal, you have boggled our minds for sure..Nice write up..Enjoyed reading and replying to it..

With Love..

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Hi Andal,

After a long time you have come back with a bang.

What you say is absolutely right... Tooo many choices and we are simply drowning in them. Kids have plenty of choices..comparison starts that my friend has got this Company's pen why don't you get me one? This goes on in all their activities. There is no satisfaction, they want more and more but leading where???

Everybody should realize unless absolutely necessary we should not unnecessarily go on a buying spree just because somebody else is having the same.

Good blog Andal.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice one Andal.
    The same questions rise in me from time to time.
    Only way to change it is..have a quality time with the kids either in the form of eating together as a family, sharing things to do around the house, let us be an eg. in buying things..and acquiring and maintaining relationships..

sriniketan

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Anabika

Thanks for your first FB.

Its the moral duty of the parents to cultivate good habits in their children. But our children are not protesting / or raising their hands when something is going wrong. They are protecting themselves and coming out.

I want that habit to change.

andal

9. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Sri,

Thanks for sharing your lovely ideas.

andal

10. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Happy,

Very nice to note your ideas. It is good if we follow your ideas.

But, leading a simple life is very difficult. We are tempted to buy so many, though we dont want it.

But i will try to follow your tips.

andal