1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"We Have Sinned, Acharya"

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 30, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Usha,
    I am happy that you read this story first thing in the morning, immediately after waking up. That is sure to have a greater impact than reading this late in the evening, when our mind would be already crowded by the chores of the day, finished and unfinished.

So long as we can enjoy that statement on spiritual pride, we are keeping in tact a real firewall that'd prevent pride from slipping in to our being and humility slipping away.

Unlike other bad qualities pride cannot be directly attacked. It is like the monkey king Vaali. He had a unique boon. He'd get half of the strength of any person who fought with him. Pride has also got a similar boon. As Rama killed Vaali hiding behind a tree, great saints kill pride indirectly. That's the only way of killing it.

Thanks for the fb, Usha.
    regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Sudha,
    You are welcome. Seeing so many people eager to know the ending of the story, I became restless and posted the last part 4 days in advacnce.
    Some schools would admit students with very high marks giving them liberal scholarships and other freebies. The idea is that the bright students would lift up the average of the school and they would set positive example for the not so bright ones. In the school of love Villi and Ponnachi were students holding first rank and Ramanuja wanted some of their love to be rubbed on to his other disciples. At least he wanted a portion of their destructive pride to be washed away by Villi's and Ponni's love. And yes, the mission was a total success.

Thanks, Sudha. I will let you know a secret. The love story I am going to post next (this time you will have to wait till the coming Friday) will be equally good, if not better. Thinking of that story I could not sleep. It is now 1 AM. I am in Chennai at my sister's place. The entire house is asleep. But I am here feverishly typing the replies. Because the next story has already occupied my mind and words have started to jump out.

regards,

3. varalotti

Thanks a lot, sowpar. I and my writings should have done some penance. Otherwise how could we have brought this story to such nice people as you are?
    The next story, again a love story, is cooking and will be served this Friday. Stay tuned.
    You know, Sowpar, I am very happy and proud, that women all over the world, young and old, mothers, daughters, grandmothers, grand daughters - all of them like the story.
    regards,

4. varalotti

Dear Gopalan Sir,
    I am happy to know that as you fly to the US you carry the pleasant memories of this great love story. It is not any surprise or coincidence, Sir.
    For JK said once, if you genuinely want some thing, if your urge is intense enough, the entire Universe conspires to rush it to your side at the earliest. This time my happiness is that I have also been roped in to that "sweet conspiracy". Otherwise how could I have received such words of blessings from such a nice man?

As soon as you land in the US, allow some days for the jet lag to wear off and then log on to read another love story in this forum.
    thanks and regards,

5. varalotti

Dear Veda Vyasar,
    For a moment I was worrying that I had lost you after the last post. I am now thrilled to have you back in this story.
    In the Sri Vaishnava tradition sanyas is not prescribed. Even now many of the saints are householders. Even Ramanuja lived with his wife for a long time. Once Ramanuja's wife committed a great sin. Ramanujar was hurt. But still continued to live with her. Only when she repeated that sin, did Ramanujar sent her out with a heavy heart. Of course we are going to see those stories also in this forum. So stay tuned.

Veda Vyasan, when you shed tears, that's equivalent to speaking a hundred thousand words. Your wiping your wet eyes is the greatest tribute you could have paid to Villi, Ponnachi, Ramanuja and God Himself.

thanks and regards,

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Oh Sridhar, i was surprised to see you online so late.........but i can understand this urge to write or do anything craetive , keeps one awake!
    But Friday is so faaaaaar away!
    Witsend
    And i liked these lines as reply Mr. Gopalan.....
    " JK said once, if you genuinely want some thing, if your urge is intense enough, the entire Universe conspires to rush it to your side at the earliest. This time my happiness is that I have also been roped in to that "sweet conspiracy"

7. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

Thanks Sridhar for sharing with us this real life story. So well written as usual and so many simple things said : Love, devotion, trust of the couple, Guru shishya relationship, humbleness of the shishya and I liked the humbleness of Ramanuja acharya when" he looks up as if to ask Lord Renganatha, ‘Did I treat your favoured children well? Did I use them to convey the message of love? Is my mission accomplished?’" Still being humble before god.
    But I have grat reverence for Ponnachi, who followed her husband, he was connected to Ramanuja personally, but Ponnachi was coneected to God/Ramanaju/husband mentally and kept quiet when the disciples came to steal and felt she had sinned when they left w/o taking jewellery from other side. Too good.
    I had tiff in my house today, and was feeling very low probably even back of my mind questioning god why me why to me? but reading this episode gave me strength and trust one should have in god and his doings.
    Thanks once again. Do keep writing In IL Hope to read more of spritual articles about our Acharyas and Azwars.

Swati

Swati

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I read all the three at one stretch. I was just dumb founded and awe struck.

At home, I have a practice of narrating a story to my younger daughter when we go to bed. After listening only she goes to sleep. Due to this practice I have narrated all mythological stories to both of them ( Thanks to amar chitra katha which I used to read when I was young). Hence, I narrated this story to her and beleive me, after hearing she was very quite for some time. I thought she had slept but slowly she told me " evvalovu nallavva indha villium ponnachium". I knew this story had soothing effect on her and she would have a peaceful night. (But my narration would not be anywhere near to your writing skills)

9. varalotti

Dear Swetha,
    First, thanks. When I first read this story in a Tamil book, believe me, I could not speak or do anything for some time. Stories like this one, once they get into our being, can never go out of it. So ever since I read the story for the first time some 17,18 years ago, I have been thinking about the story every now and then. I have told the story to my daughter, almost to every one who cared to listen.
    I am releasing the next set by this Friday, God willing. Please be on the look out.

Best Wishes,

10. varalotti

Dear, dear Sujatha,
    When someone like your praise me, when you say that I grew up right in front of your eyes, my heart gets filled up with love, and my eyes with tears. Even to attempt to thank you for that will be blaspheming your love. I am not going to do that.

We need pride for day-to-day existence. Even Gita lists pride as a constituting element of a human being. But once we set our eyes on the spiritual path, pride becomes the worst enemy. I have heard a saint say that it is better to be a humble sinner than a proud saint. How true!

You are not brazen. You are in a way right. If a piece of writing has to be good, first the subject matter is to be good; second the writer has to be good and third, the writer should have been inspired to write that piece. When the writer remains at the same level (I have not even been accepted as a writer by the leading magazines here) if the subject matter is good and the inspiration is strong because it comes from divine love, then naturally the resultant piece will be something like that.
    Now that you have said that I am going to write on similar themes till July when I am planning to start a serial - this time an out and out romance story.

We are also blessed because they belong to our aeon, if not our century and we are able to relate to the story well.

I am happy that my piece of writing helped a person who is serving IL in a selfless way. IL is one large, happy family. There may be some setbacks, someone who does not understand the familial love for a while. But then everything's going to be fine. You know why? IL was born out of the love a woman had for her compatriots. Whatever is born in love and whatever has thrived in love will always be fine. So you need not worry about that.

Yes. There is only one emotion love, At the lowest levels it is called as fear, anger, greed, lust etc. As the level goes up it gets names like affection, honour, devotion and finally at the highest level it is the purest love.

I feel honored, Kamla.

Love,