1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We gave lift to a baby snake!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Nischel

Nischel Senior IL'ite

Dear Puspa Madam,
    What U mentioned in your thread is believable. No question of disbelief.
    Such things will happen often .What your hubby did is correct. Throwing the small snake with astick out side is very good .Killing is bad. They may take
    revenge at any time in future. We pray snakes as Gods.
    Sd,nischel

2. Gem

Gem New IL'ite

Dear Mrs Pushpa,
    I enjoyed reading your encounter with a snake. And later to read the encounters (from the feedbacks) of others ILites, was very fascinating. Frankly, I am terrified of snakes. I have seen a few but all from a safe distance. I think I will freeze if I ever have a close encounter with one!

Love,
    Gem

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai madam, you brought back memories about snakes to me too. I am never afraid of snakes.
    In Trivandrum, we moved to a new house on the banks of a river when I was around 12. It was like a mini forest and with the river nearby, there is no dearth of snakes. Coming across a snake is a daily routine. Once I was going to a friend's house in the afternoon and I was just about to stamp on a snake on the path. It was lying for the sunlight. It jsut slithered away.
    Another hilarious incident is, my neighbour used to organise the programmes for any function in our colony. Once, after the dance rehersal, all the children lwent off from her house. I was close to her, so had to finish off clearing the house.
    While I was helping her in that, we saw that the mat (paai) was shaking. First we thought one of the naughty kids is inside. Then we had a doubt and poked with a long stick. Out came a large snake. We had a very active day, throwing the snake out of the house. Due to the slippery mosaic flooring, it could not move out. I can never forget that.
    Even here in Ambattur, I see snakes from time to time. While I was carrying my son, one day I switched on the outside light and just opened the door at night, to wash the plate after dinner. Just I opened the door, I saw a long black snake going back from the door. It seems that it had come towards the door adn was going back because it had sensed that some human is coming. I immediately closed the door and told my MIL. She immediately prayed to the God and the next day sent milk to the nearyby temple. My son was born in Ayilyam star, the star of the SnakeGod Nagaraja. I sent milk and turmeric powder to the pampu kaavu at Kerala temples whenever I can. There the paanan family comes to the temples on Ayilyam day and sing and pray to the Snake God. We can request them to sing on our behalf and they do it. We can give them any amount of money we like. This is believed to get the blessings of the Snake God to the person sung for. We do that also.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nischel.
    As you have said almost all Hindus worship snake at temples. But in real life when any one sees a snake they run helter skelter. In Tamil there is a saying,
    " Pampenral pataiyum natungum." meaning even an armed force will get fritghtened when it sees a snake. If we do not harm them, they will not harm us.
    Pushpavalli

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear gem,
    Not only you, any one will get frightened when they see a snake. We humans are afraid of animals and vipers, and they are also afraid of us. This is natural as each living being try to save its life.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Varloo,
    Before marriage when I was at Kancheepuram on Aadi and Thai Vellikizamai
    we used to go searching for pampu purru and did puja by pouring milk into the hole. We even used to drop in banana fruit in the hole. Nowadays we can't go searching for pampu purru in cities. Hence we do puja at home to silver nagam at home. Otherwise we perform puja for raghu and kethu at the navaguruha sannadhi. Thank you for sharing the keralalite way of doing puja.
    On the whole all Hindus prey the serpent God, each in their own way.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli
    Thats no cock and bull story at all, because something like that happened for us too, when we were children.
    We were crossing Dimbam Ghats in our Ambassador car. At one point during the climb , Father felt the engine was heating up, so he stopped when he saw a clearing, opened the bonnet , instructed my eldest brother to take out the jerry can and fill the radiator. Then he took us others to see some monkeys jumping in the trees. My brother took out the can from the boot and went to the bonnet and suddenly let out a horrible scream, dropped the can and started running all over the road stuttering Pa..Pa...Pa... like rajanikanth. Only then did Father see a fairly big dark snake coiled up and sleeping snugly at the far end of the engine ! Mother and the rest of us screamed and ran a mile as Father got a stick and managed to prod the sleepy fellow to leave the car. The snake was such a lazy thing it took 10 full mins. to slither off into the bushes. It must have got in when we had stopped for a small snack- picnic, just before the Ghat section started. We had given it a real "lift " from plains to hilltop !
    Then before resuming journey, Mother took half an hour for a full check up of the car before getting in !

rgds
    manjula

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Manju,
    In our country an encounter with a snake is quite common. But a few have rare experience like ours. In fact the baby snake crawled over my hubby's hand. Yet without panicking he stopped the vehicle slowly and when I asked him what was the matter, without batting an eyelash he said, " pambu." He had used to treat snakes as his friends. Once a snake was curling under the iron bond ( this is used for carrying cement and other building materials by masons) and without seeing the snake he lifted the bond, but his friend was kind enough not to do any harm. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007