1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We consumers, the gullible fools?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I feel nauseated at the mention of food, let alone the sight for the past 2 days. The culprit, my news crazy self.

The other day, the TV was idle in-between my son’s IPL programmes and FIL tamil movies, and I was channel surfing. Suddenly, I see this flash “Khilane wale lote mein peshab” peein in the serving dish..

And it was a mms clipping were the guy selling pani puri is caught doing the deed.
    What really shocks me, is the audacity of the seller to think he can get away with anything.
    Pani-puri vendor caught urinating in vessel | hotklix

You don’t believe me then you need to read the story.. but be forewarned, it spoils your apetite for a day reading the news, but for days if you have accidentally watched the clipping.
    The other day, north Indians were sick due to food poisoning after eating the rotis of a contaminated flour ash and fungus was found in the flour.

Apples with wax, mangoes artificially ripened with toxic chemicals, watermelons injected with the red color..there is no stopping any adulteration.

There have been video clippings of urea mixed into milk powders and Khoa during
    festival times.

Coirander powder is adulterated with addition of dung powder. Red chillies with brick powdered. Pepper with dry papaya seeds..well let me stop now ..
    View attachment 130396
    No wonder, there are too many cases of kidney stones, gall bladder stones and stomach related diseases these days.

Medicines are sold with just the package changed.

The leading stores sell expired imported chocolates removing the date label. There are other items that are sold at 50% off, with just 1 or 2 days to expiry or on the day of expiry.

I wonder why the greed. The prices are above market prices, they are already getting a good profit.

Is it because we the consumer are gullible, will not react too much to these. Have we become soft targets for all the greed and manipulations.. Flash News Today – Online News Magazine » Centre asks states to implement law to check food adulteration
    http://www.indymedia.org/images/2009/06/925483.jpg

I have heard that even mother’s milk which was the epitome of purity is now contaminated due to all the adulterated foods that the mother has without her knowledge.

Would a protest, a boycott help eradicate the adulteration, or push these criminals to find new chemicals and methods to do it.

I am still hitting my head :bonk:bonk at the measures that our government heads think of.
    Soon, reward for exposing food adulteration: Azad - Times Of India

P.S.
    Every now and then i update tidbits on cosumer gullibility..watch the space...
    A not in good condition AC was sold to a gullible consumer.
    A nut was found in a coconut boli, the shopkeeper was not bothered..
    did you know how X, convinced there was sweet water in a place when it was not.

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi,

We need to be aware and beware!! A point well made!

Akila

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,

What a grave state-of-affairs there!!!

The rate at which the consumers are taken

for a ride is terrible..how can they be

merciless in the case of medicines too????

:eek:mg:

There was one tit-bit I read recently..in

London..I believe they have started making

Ice-creams out of 'Mother's Milk':thumbsdown

Good one on creating an awareness Shanvy:bowdown

:cheers

Saras

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Shanvy,

Really the awareness should come among the Public and the Government should take care of this. Even in Medicines they have started giving expired and it first affected only the small infants. Nice and thought provoking Post. Tks for sharing

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Akila,

i just think that most of us do not want to look at what we are entitled and what not.
    sometimes, a rude reminder or shock is needed to look at things..even then it just fizzles out after a few days.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Saras, how did i miss out on the mother's milk icecream. i did read that, but it just passed over my head for some reason.

Awareness, about everything is a MUST these days as consumers..

I have a leading sweet shop chain just across the road from my home. i have seen flies inside the display of sweets. i asked them once why don't you do something about it. one of the boys there sarcastically told me maybe hit baygon like one of those comedies..??
    and recent days there have been lot of complaints against the chain is another story.

saras, i love the way you take time to write fb's to all the blogs..it reminds me of myself sometime back. these days have have too many things on my plate that i have to take the extra effort and time to reply even if it is to my own blog comments..

thanks for joining me here.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sreema,

i have been trying to decipher you handle..have you mentioned it somewhere.

i agree the public needs to be more aware. the public sometimes gets lured because of the greed.

the leading supermarket chain has apples at rs.99, when you look at it closely it is so shiny..and the color of the flesh after peeling the skin is pink instead of pale yellow??/cream.. a bright chow/ a extra red water melon scares me a lot these days.

i am a heart patient, and i refuse to take medicines that are not as prescribed by my doctors. and also tell them that i need the mention of the batch number in the bill.

i do not accept medicines without the expiry. even at home, with these pop out tabs always open the one far away from the expiry details.. that way even if it is to be used later, you will have the details in hand.

Initially i used to send the medicines that i did not use to an orphanage..but now i don't after hearing stories that they are sold to the pharmacies..

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Big B,

yes. adulteration and manipulations are part of the industry..and we consumers are the guinea pigs. it is not just food.

i read that article, though scary in the first instant, definitely we are consuming a lot of them. i am sure. in a few years none of us are going to remain vegetarians..

thanks for joining me here.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Friends, when i put this, it was a not just because of seeing this pani puri walah incident. it just triggered me to post the article. but on hindsight i feel maybe i should have worked on the blog more.

there are few more incidents that i should talk, about.

A leading mobile service provider sends sms asking you to forward and the sms orginates from his own stable. and we the gullible customer, will not think twice before forwarding the sms to hundreds of people in our phone book..and he gets so much money out of this without a lot of effort..

A leading store that sells white household goods. i had been to one of the branches, and was waiting for a sales executive to attend me, there is this other couple waiting to clinch a AC deal
    this is what happened.

Couple: what is the best price
    sales : this is the best. you finalise sir, we will give you the best possible discount.
    couple : ok when can you deliver.

the sales person just moves out of their ear shot, and not realising i am standing there talks to one of the other guys.

sales 1: s, this ac does have only some problem in the rotary nah.
    sales 2: yes, we need to return this to the company
    sales 1: let us sell this off to this couple , since it is on warranty, the company people will take care..why should we lose the incentive.

sales 1 goes back to the couple and sells the ac and the gullible couple buy it without realising the amount of running that will take place later..

more on how we are taken for rides later..watch this space..