1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We Are Always Learners

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

All of us have felt the necessity of a guru in our lives one time or the other. None of us are capable to do everything on our own. Someone who is more knowledgeable, intelligent and successful in life will definitely make a difference in our lives too.
    ‘Gu’ means Guhya or darkness and ‘Ru’ means remover or alleviator. He who removes our ignorance and makes our life happy, comfortable, enlightened and blessed is our guru or guide.
    If we are egoless and open minded, lot of things can be learnt easily.
    Sanatana dharma or Indian philosophy places the knowledge of the Parabrahman , the Supreme Lord at the highest level compared to all other types of knowledge. It is called paraa vidya. All others are aparaa vidyas meaning inferior or less useful.
    Even to succeed in worldly life one needs a good guru, a guide, a counsellor or a subject
    Now a days there are counsellors for child upbringing,to deal with physically challenged kids, to deal with adopted children, to give pallaitive care for terminally ill, to advise in bereavements, financial consultants, stock markets and so on.
    Some prominent Gurus have established business empires under the garb of 'spirituality' to the tune of thousands of crores.
    Guru is Brahma, Guru is Vishnu, Guru is Shiva and Guru is also Supreme Brahman and I surrender before such Guru

Hinduism also preached that 'Atma saakshatkaram' is never a possibility without Guru.Guru Medium is essential and without Guru guidance one cannot go into the self realisation path.
    There have been many Gurus who really guided the people to such a path and lived a selfless life Saint-Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Ramana Maharishi, Kanchi Maha Swami,Shivanandha and many others. Some Gurus taking advantage of this aspect in Hinduism amassed wealth became super rich Gurus in the garb of teaching yoga,meditation ,nature cure and living a cosy life style.
    Some have gained popularity through ventures in yoga, alternative medicine and agriculture, as well as their advocacy on Indian political issues.
    There are certain gurus with embracing cult ,popularly known as 'hugging saint' and have established schools,colleges Universities and what not.
    As if people have not lived so far, some Gurus teach us'Art of Living',have millions of followers, pouring money enabling such Gurus to establish royal empires.

The truth cannot be denied that our knowledge in any field is very meagre and we need teachers.
    If we think aloud,learning is an ever lasting process.We are always learners in one form or other.
    1. We learn from our children. Kids become our teachers.
    2.We learn from our mistakes.Mistakes become masters.
    3.All our anger & agonies,beatings & burnings,challenges & churns,cries and cracks,toils and turmoils,twists & turns make us mellow down & season us a lot.
    4. From good persons we know how to be,and from others we know how not to be.Modern Babas and Gurus perhaps form the second category.
    5. When we listen to music,it soothens our hearts & music becomes our preceptor.
    6.When we hear the mazhalai or babblings of children, we forget the pressing problems. then children become our masters.
    7.The sun,the rain,the mountains ,the rivers & trees- all are teaching the lesson of PAROPAKARA ,without uttering a single word by their mere routine.
    8. Above all,"SILENCE" itself is the greatest GURU-MAUNA GURU.It is meditation in SILENCE that brought into our Bharat so many great thinkers,luminaries & Acharyas whom we revere most.
    The list is endless.
    Srimat Bhagavatham speaks of 24 types gurus including a honey bee, hunter wasp, prostitute among other things.
    Let us bow with reverence,not only to human teachers,but also to NATURE and above all to every small bit and piece of experience in our life.
    Let us learn,learn,learn.................and continue to learn for ever.

Jayasala 42

2. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42 ma'am
    Awesome post on learning.....what you said is 100% true. Yes, we should bow not only human gurus but also to Nature and every small experience of our life....There is no end for learning....thank for sharing such a great knowledge of yours....

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Another angle,
    Modern day guru is coming to our cities to teach some lessons and answer people questions. That is with a charge, otherwise we all have to wait and go to that guru which would be last priority in our lives as we have so much to do with jobs kids etc stuff.

May be in modern days money is the key role player, so may be guru also needs money to make him self or her self known to people. If he or she travels in plane and car it is available, in olden days it is not available to all.

Now a days there may be better gurus helping local people with their self realization/ spiritual stuff but how do other people know about that guru, how can more people benefit from that guru. Even about ramana Maharishi some shishya recorded or made a note of his teachings. Or some author worked closely with Maharishi. Now for modern day gurus, we have videos and YouTube , more easily available and more people can access it.

The richness of a guru , may be we can see this same as business organization, they are working and earning , they have associated non profits also. Everybody is getting some benefit with it. Some people can pay and can see guru live and talk . If no money then you can still access videos etc, or whatever is available.
    Their richness shouldn't be a factor for their genuine ness or whether we can benefit anything or not. If it suits our value system and looks like we may benefit something by investing some time , then we should n't worry about their richness it is my personal view only.

Vivekananda travelled world to say his words to all. They also managed to do travel etc I think with help of some raja donating money , for Buddhism Ashoka did great help (power, finance) regarding bhikshuks travelling other countries, without money how their teachings will reach people.
    Now they are reaching UN office.

There are many bad gurus we read in papers though, which is

4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

sindmani and jayasala42 like this.
  5. jayasala42

Dear Latha,
    Thank you for your firsy feed back.Glad that you had time to go through the long post.

Jayasala 42

Lathasv likes this.
  6. jayasala42

Dear Kashmiri flower,

Thank you very much for your wonderful response analysing the issue in different angles.You have added more value by filling many gaps.We are not bothered whether they earn money or whether they live in great comforts.
    That is individual look out.But having projected oneself as 'Guru' I feel that it is the responsibility to advocate the 'dos' and not allowing people to learn'how not to be' from them.True, scientific advancement saved lot of precious hours.We don't expect Gurus to undertake'paadha yatra' in this fast world.
    There may be certain imperfections and certain pitfalls,because they are also human beings and no one is free from flaw.
    Even in Teachers' college they insist on onething" don't write a wrong answer on the board, and score it off saying, this is wrong." Only the wrong answer will get stuck to the kids and not the crossing.
    In the same way, a guru is not supposed to tread on a wrong path just to teach that it is a wrong path.
    The elite ones who are capable of discriminating just phoo-phoo their sayings and ignore.The pliable minds struggle to understand.
    Jayasala 42

Poetlatha and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

A very nice write-up. All our life we need to prepared to learn, un-learn and re-learn.

When you say Guru, the first person who comes to my mind is my dad. My dad was a priest and he took on students if anyone came to learn the art form him.

We used to have a lot of people like that in our house who came to study under my dad. My dad never charged any money for his teachings. Likewise, the people who came to learn were not poor as well. They were quite well to do. The guru dakshina for my dad was to work in our house. They used to do jobs for my dad like cleaning the pooja items, cooking for temple prasadam, maintaining the temple deity and stuff.

My dad learnt the vedas in this way and he taught the others in the same way. I have seen a decline in this practice since a long time.

And my own gurus - my dance sir and my college ma'am.

I was able to graduate only with the help of my teachers and their valuable knowledge that they shared. However, there is one teacher who was more of a guru to me. She guided me, she brought me out of my own walls I built around myself, she let me test my strength - in the end, she just sat back and gave a pat on the back, never asking me for anything in return. She became my guru. I can sometimes hear her voice in my ears telling me how to be.

My dance sir is young, younger than me. But he has become my guru since I started learning dance.

Very well said. Nature is the greatest Guru!

sindmani and jayasala42 like this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

From the way you have put things about learning in their proper perspective, I can visualise what a great teacher you would have been. Life is the greatest teacher, where many times it knocks us down completely and teaches some valuable lessons, through bitter experiences. Internet is the latest guru, through which we are exposed to multitude of information with just a touch or swipe of the computer.
    Learning is a continuous process and when the thirst for knowledge is within oneself, then it becomes an enjoyable experience. Enjoyed your write up very much.

Agatha83

9. jayasala42

Dear Joylokhi,
    Thank you for the nice feed back.
    Jayasala 42

10. jayasala42

Dear Beautiful life,
    Thank you for sharing your experience which is as beautiful as your name.Glad to know that your father was a priest and taught many students.
    Are you a dancer?
    Very fine.Do you give performances? Which style do you follow? Kalakshetra, Panthanallur or vazhuvoor.There seems to be some differences in performing adavus.
    In Bharatha natyam ,especially ,lot of importance is given to Guru.Even after reaching prominence,they highlight the importance of Gurus.More than schools and colleges,in Fine Arts like music and dance-much is talked about guru shishya bhava and paanai or style.
    Thanks for the nice response.
    Jayasala42

beautifullife30 and sindmani like this.