Wayanad

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sushmavja, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

we are planning for a 3 day trip to wayanad in August...can anyone tell me about the places to visit there and throw light on some good accomodation..heard there is homestay option too..

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Nearest Airport:

Kozhikode (Calicut - CCJ).
    Nearest Railway Station:
    Kozhikode (Calicut - CLT)
    By road :
    Kozhikode 92 Km Bathery
    Kannur 90, Ooty 128 Km
    Mysore 123 Km,
    Bangalore 256 Km
    Temperature :
    Min -13°c Max - 32°c Altitude : 700-2100 mts above mean sea level. Climate : Uniform pleasant climate throughout the year.
    Helpline:
    04936-346962
    09847509565 - 24 hours

Places To See

With its idyllic location in the Nilgiri Biosphere, Wayanad district in Kerala is a land of mysterious mountain caves, thundering waterfalls, large tracts of forest land, ancient ruins, tree houses, jungle trails, exotic wild life and a number of aboriginal tribes. The district's hilly terrain with numerous outback trails and trekking routes makes it an ideal destination for adventure seekers. With 26% forest cover, much of the district still remains unexplored, and constitutes the last surviving tracts of a unique ecosystem.
    Wayanad has two major wildlife reserves - Muthanga and Tholpetty - that are home to an incredible range of flora and fauna, including several endangered species. The district also has its share of historical and religious monuments. But it's for its natural beauty that Wayanad is best known. Check the links below for a glimpse of some of the places worth a visit. We have indicated the approximate distance from the Resort to each of these places. To visit them all would take more than a week. For your convenience we have classified them into three categories. Contact Reception to chart out an itinerary that best serves your interests.
    Nature WildLife Monuments/Temples/Others
    Banasura Hill Pookote Lake Meenmutty Waterfalls Kuruva Island Soochipara Kanthanpara Waterfall Chembra Peak Begur Wildlife Sanctuary Tholpetty Wildlife Sanctuary Muthanga Wildlife Reserve Pakshipathalam Banasura Dam Edakkal Caves Pazhassi Tomb The Glass Temple Thirunelli Temple

Banasura Hill
    The Banasura Hill, at the foot of which the Banasura Hill Resort has been developed, is ideal for trekking. The top of the hill offers breathtaking views of the Banasura Dam and the reservoir formed by it speckled with numerous tiny islands. (5km)

3. sushmavja

thanks nijasav for the information..any ideas about the resorts or accomodation would be highly helpful...

rgds,
    Sush

4. kreavtiveartin

kreavtiveartin New IL'ite

Dear Sushma,
    Its a must see place, dont forget to take a good camera and a first aid medical kit.
    Have a great time.!!!
    Cheers
    Kreavtive

1 person likes this.
  5. sushmavja

thanks kreavtive...can you suggest me about homestay option?

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi sushma,
    I had already made a thread for wayanad a year or so back..its a wonderful must visit place..
    we too went exactly in the month of august and it was awesome!!!!!!

we actually dint stay in wayad but did in sultanbattery which is like a closerby place...even if you dont get a room in wayanad..you can select the nearby places as all are easily accessible..

we dint get a hi-fi room ..just took a normal hotel room and it was very much fine for us..the room rent too was cheap...
    you can travel by bus to most of the places...
    Enjoy!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sushma, 2 months holidays right...we have been planning this wayanad trip for sometime and it is not happening for us because of clashes with husbands and kids leave..

but from what i have heard, wonderful must visit place.
    you can check out in google itself...it throws a lot of them with reviews..

from my friends circles...vythri and annapara has got some decent ratings..

1 person likes this.
  9. sushmavja

shanvy, ya my DD has vacation..it has been quite a while that we have been out..so thinking of wayanad...ya we are considering vythri and another one issilverwoods..silverwoods looks great but its a bit costly..i had heard of home stay option..so kind of wanted to knw more about it..my Dh has zeroed upon vythri only..they have a good package for 3 nights it seems..

10. sushmavja

swaran,
    thanks for redirecting me to that thread...got a good deal of info about the must see places...