1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Way to study free for college entrance exams (NY)

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by tashidelek2002, Oct 31, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I was just at a course and they mentioned that the local GED offices in NYS can now give course materials for free to anyone and they can be used to test your competency and to prepare for college entrance or grad school exams. This might be of help to those not used to USA system. I don't know if this is available in other states than NY.

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Tina,

That is a good piece of information. Is this also for students already studying in the US?

My first son is a freshman at high school (9th grade). Since I am not used to the US system of college education, I attended an information session at his high school last week.

Now, it would be great if something like this was available in our State for existing students. Need to check on this.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Its for any resident of NYS. The GED is the high school equivalency diploma but they have made available the system and materials so that others can use them also. Many older folks are returning to college and need a refresher so I think that was one motivating factor. I think you need to be over 18 to use it.