1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

wats in your kids lunch box today

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by priyasudhakar, Feb 7, 2011.

1. priyasudhakar

priyasudhakar Gold IL'ite

100 Kids Lunch Box Recipes Collection - DOWNLOAD

hi friends,

Shall we share in this thread what we pack for our kids for daily lunch? This may give ideas to others to try something new. Plz mention ur kids age.

today for my kid i packed

snacks: biscuits
    lunch : noodles(he insisted), munch chocolate

my son's age, he is 5.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016

2. Guha

Guha Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I like this thread. that way we can have variety and share new ideas .

my daughter is 4.5 yrs old and in UKG.

I packed thakali sevai and apple juice (diluted with water) for lunch and britania wonder cake for snack.

:)

3. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi,

This is reallu nice thread.. we get some idea instead of breaking head every morn.

my DD is 3.i packed mini idli . Snack : popcorn.

4. priyasudhakar

hi guha and nutty,

thx for ur reply,

guha, can u say me how u made apple juice, becoz i usually prepare apple juice with milk and it gets darkened after few minutes, so i avoided to send it to school, plz say me how u r preparing apple juice to school?

nutty, today i too sent popcorn for snacks

today snacks: popcorn + orange juice lunch: smbhar rice + bottle gourd poriyal

thinking to send some innovative ,decorative food, plz share ur ideas.

luv,
    priya

5. Guha

Guha Senior IL'ite

hi Priya,

I dont make apple juice for sending to school. it gets fermented fast. I use Tropicana apple juice and dilute with 50% water and send in tupperware glass with drinking spout.

that way juice is fresh and also not high in extra sugar.

one question - if you send sambhar rice wont itget hardened?. or how do you mix it ?

I sent coconut rice and beans poriyal for lunch , grapes for snack.

6. priyasudhakar

hi guha,

thx for ur reply, one small doubt, is tropicana healthier? can we use it often for kids?

sambhar rice : actually guha, i too had the same doubt like u and not supposed to give sambhar or rasam, 4 days back my neighbour said this idea -- first make a paste like (not much) with rice wen it is hot and add sambhar and mix well, after 5 min it gets hardened and again pour excess sambhar and mix it well, u wil get ofcourse like rasam rice, pack it as it is, afternoon kid wil get nice softee sambhar rice, u can try rasam also like this,,,if u have doubt in quantity of sambhar to be poured,just experiment it and keep it at home and check in the afternoon,u wil get an idea,

actually my son also in ukg, so he has fairwell party today, so teacher asked to give mild lunch so that he can consume snacks nicely at 3pm in the party,

so i send snacks : popcorn(today also,his fav) lunch : idlli,thakali chutney

luv,
    priya

7. Suriya

Suriya New IL'ite

Hai friends,

I'm happy to read this thread. but I need not pack lunch for my son, b'coz they provide lunch and milk ( twice -morning break and evening break) in the school itself. we shouldn't give any snacks for them.

The doctor who runs the school says that most parents give noodles and
    snacks which are not nutritious. So he made the lunch compulsory at school. They give sambar , rasam or curd, and veg.poriyal. On occasions like amavasai etc. they give sakkarai pongal, vadai. Even sundal, fruits like apple and banana are given on some days. Egg is also given instead of poriyal. My son started liking all vegetables when he was in lkg.

Priya don't give noodles and chocs. Give sambar rice with veg. poriyal.
    Poori or idli with vegetable kuruma. For snacks you can give sundal, fruits, nutties, Kadalai mittai, ellu mittai. Tell your child about the nutrients in it.

8. priyasudhakar

hi suriya,

thanks a lot for ur reply, mostly i try to avoid giving noodles, but at times he begs a lot, so i will give him if he insist too much, but i can understand ur point, try to reduce giving noodles ,as soon as possible.

next year for class 1, am joining him in a new school, so am planning to give snacks like sundal,fruits,etc and tell him that his new teacher asked to give him and make the nutritious food habbit stick to him,

thanks suriya

luv,
    priya

1 person likes this.
  9. Guha

Guha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Priya for the sambhar rice idea. will try that tommorrow. I've asked the dr and they told as long as we give only 4 oz of juice per day witout added sugar its ok for kids.
    thats why i dilute with water to make a glass.

and Suriya - which school is this?. just curious if it around kilpauk/ anna nagar area.

In my daughter's school also they send reminder note to parents on importance of healthy snack.

Today i packed - boiled egg for snack and veg biryani for lunch and cup of curd.

10. Suriya

Suriya New IL'ite

hai Priya and Guha

Thanx for reading my post.

We are in Namakkal and my son's school is also there. Today he told that he had rasam rice, curd rice, cabbage poriyal and egg. In the evening I gave him steamed sweet potato and lays chips.