Watermelon Rind Chutney

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by gtpoo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

I never thought watermelon chutney would be so yummy! The green outer part of the watermelon, which we hold and eat around is a Rind. Generally, we throw away this part after eating. I decided to try chutney with that part and gave it a shot, which turned out tasty, similar to cuccumber or mexican squash chutney. Give it a try and nobody would guess, u made it from the rind of watermelon.

Ingredients:

tender watermelon rind – 1/4
    green chillies – 4
    cumin – 3/4 tsp
    garlic cloves – 4
    tamarind paste – 1 tsp
    salt – 1 tsp (as per taste)
    for tadka:
    oil – 3 tsp
    red chillie – 1/2
    chana dal – 1 tsp
    urad dal – 1 tsp
    garlic clove - 1
    turmeric – pinch
    curry leaves – 1 sprig
    cilantro/coriander - 6 sprigs.

Method:

Take the watermelon rind, wash and cut into small pieces. If u think the rind is hard, just peel a little bit and cut into pieces. Take a non-stick pan, add watemelon rind pieces, half-cut green chillies, 1-2 tsp of oil, mix and cook them until soft and allow them to cool.

In a mixer, add garlic cloves, cumin, salt, tamarind paste, green chillies, and make a fine paste. Add rind pieces, little water, chopped cilantro and make a fine paste. Keep adding little by little water until u get a fine paste.

Keep a pan for tadka, add all ingredients and let them splutter and transfer onto the chutney. Mix it and enjoy it with hot steamed rice or dosa.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai friend,

A mild green color chutney photo and recipe also nice
    I will surely try. why to waste the watermelon rind after having watermelon. Let us make use of the full watermelon by preparing delicious chutney. Tks for sharing dear.

3. gtpoo

gtpoo New IL'ite

Please try it and i'm sure u love it!