1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Washington DC Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington DC' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. uthracn

uthracn New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I m just married on sep 3 rd and into Virginia on sep 20 th.I m MCA graduate and was working n MNC in chennai,now to stay n home alone s very boring..tell me some ideas to get rid of it....My hobbies r cooking,gardening...and i like to dance even...so share some ideas ladies...

2. sadaf2008

sadaf2008 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am from Pikesville,MD. I moved here in march from ohio. i came to USA last yr. I am looking forward to make new friends here. Am on H4 and it is boring to sit at home. I hv done my masters in IT and am from chennai but originally from Kerala.

Thanks,
    Sadaf

3. Sumajay

Sumajay New IL'ite

HI everyone,

i am suma living in Rockville MD for past 2years, its so hard to meet indians here. If anyone is from rockville and would like to meet up please reply..

thanks,
    Suma

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Suma,

Nice to know about you.... First of all, Warm welcome to IL. Keep in touch with your comments and posts... here. And enjoy your stay in IL.

5. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Iam moving to Washington DC in mid April. Presently am in New Jersey. Wanted a little help since we (my husband & me) will be first timers to Washington DC. I see that Gowri66, u r from DC :hiya I had actually started a thread to day evening to find someone from DC.. But alas..:idontgetit: where my thread went !! Anyways I would require help presently in finding a good 2br apt in DC.. A place which is somewhat close to zip code 20433.. Also preferably a place which is close to or well connected by public transport to indian grocery since we presently don't own a car...
    Secondly kindly suggest me the best gynaecologist in DC area. Plus any kind of more info on Washington DC area is more than welcome..:thankyou2:

6. tranquility

Hello? Anyone there??:whistle

7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi (Tranquility)

Welcome to DC area... !! With your Zipcode, came to know you are more near to Whitehouse ... if I am not wrong !!

Even we don't own a car ... the place where we are staying is too good and very comfortable with public transport. Very good hospitals are very much approachable by public transport (By bus 10-20mins).

To be very frank... There is no Indian stores nearby downtown area (to my knowledge).... they are situated either in Maryland or Virginia... We rarely go there. If we are going ...we take the combination of bus and train or bus alone.

Hope it helps ... a bit !!

8. tranquility

Hey Gowri !
    Thanks a lot for the information.. The zipcode that I gave is going to be my husband's work place. And since we don't have a car, we were looking for something close to the work place. But now that u say that places like where u stay are well connected, then I think we'll also look up for apartments there. Are u staying in an apartment complex? What are the rental rates in your area presently? Also whats the name of the area that you stay in?
    As far as indian grocery stores go, how do u manage with green vegetables? I mean our indian kind of vegetables like turai, drumsticks, Kovakkai, etc etc are not available except in indian grocery stores. At least here in jersey city its like that. Iam so confused..:spin We have to move there mid april and we don't know a thing about the city..
    Btw, are you working?

9. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

We are having a metro bus stop (right on door step of my apt.) and metro train station (walkable 10mins) . As asked, we are staying in an apartment complex. We are in Northwest part. Giving you the apartment website.... Find Apartments For Rent from Archstone

As I told you, we rarely go to Indian stores (by taking the combination of bus and train or bus alone)...... apart from the vegetables like drumsticks/kovakkaai/Kothavarangai... we get all other green vegetables in nearby (walkable 7-8mins) Welcome To Magruder's Supermarkets and American shops (Giant,Safeway and CVS are also there- all walkable ) ... so we are not missing anything much !!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. tranquility

Hey Gowri,

Thanks for all your help:bowdown. Iam gonna start looking for apartments on the site u gave. We are looking for exactly the kind of house u mentioned i.e. from where there's direct rail and bus connectivity. Once i reach Washinton, probably we can meet up some time. Will be in touch with you. Thanks once again..