1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Washing hair frequently - does it lead to hair loss? Pls advice...

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by generic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I'm having oily scalp and dandruff...hair gets really oily & itchy within 1-2 days of washing the hair..Sometimes I wash on alternate days...When dandruff is more I use anti dandruff shampoo...else I use mild regular shampoo or herbal powders like shikakai etc...Off late I have been washing my hair twice a week...one neighbour aunty adviced me not to wash hair so often...She said it causes hair loss...she's saying once in a week is enough...What to do? Once in a week is surely not enuf for me, given the condition of my hair...I'm also scared after hearing about some people who lost most of their hair becos of frequent washing...(with shampoo)...Already my hair is little thin and limp..Pls clarify about this..

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've heard washing hair often may cause hair loss. You can wash your hair twice in a week. Apply warm olive/coconut/sesame oil and then you can wash using a mild shampoo and if required, an Anti-dandruff shampoo. You can also use a conditioner to give your hair more volume and shine.

1 person likes this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Can u pls recommend a few brands of mild shampoo that doesn't cause hair damage..? How about Biotique, Dabur Vatika, Meera Herbal, Himalaya...are they mild and safe for regular use?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. chillbreeze

My hair is dry and tends to get rough if I use shampoos that have lot of chemicals. I too have dandruff trouble and have tried all the shampoo brands you've mentioned. I use Dabur Vatika nowdays. I found Meera and Biotique made my hair more rough and Himalya aggravated dandruff. Dabur Vatika is good when I use it along with a conditioner.

1 person likes this.
  5. chillbreeze

Biotique conditioner gives volume to hair but made my hair more rough and brittle. Dove conditioner was good and made my hair soft but didn't stop hairfall. Same with pantene and himalaya. Sunsilk conditioner seems to be good.

1 person likes this.
  6. eemojohn258

eemojohn258 New IL'ite

I think use oil massage before hair wash and don't wash with harsh shampoo and don't wash it every day because washing hair daily will help you to lose hair more.

1 person likes this.
  7. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

johnson baby shampoo. it removes oil from the hair too

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Himalaya anti dandruff shampoo is good. It has different varities of shampoos, antidandruff -gentle clean, Anti-dandruff moisturizing/ volume n bounce and hairfall treatment in its anti-dandruff range. My hubby used Anti-danfruff-gentle clean, it worked well.

He had severe dandruff few months ago which was flaky, itchy.. He used and even continues to use it. We figured out the dandruff is due to continuous exposure to sunlight and pollution at his work place.

I dont think washing hair every alternate days or twice a week shouldn't cause hairfall till the time u use good quality shampoo and conditioner. Oiling hair is equally important to maintain texture of the hair. Oil hair with some herbal oil in the night and wash it off with shampoo next day and always use conditioner after u wash ur hair.

bye!
    sudha

2 people like this.