1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Was your marriage an outcome of something ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by RJMK, Dec 8, 2011.

1. RJMK

RJMK Silver IL'ite

Hi to all my Il friends.

I am back again with one query.Its a question that keeps popping.
    When I finished college and got a job,my mom was very keen to see me married and settled down.So much that she was ready to marry me off to her brother's son(I said no coz I didnt want to get married among relatives).Reason was that i had lost my father recently .People around were making her life miserable and in turn I was getting tortured indirectly.I was only 23 and very kiddish.I didnt know marriage was so deep and a sacred relation.For me it was a long honeymoon.So I sat on the net and found this guy.He was all what we look for an eligible groom and I got married to him.
    He used to show his temper and arrogance before marriage but I was too naive to understand.My mother went to see the guy and the next thing I heard was that she had fixed the date.So I thought..Its Ok since he is settled and has a great job and all that so I gave in...He was very family-oriented,short-tempered and arrogant but then I felt he was also ok in many ways.
    So I married him .But the red flags that I saw befor marriage were not to be ignored.I was staying with him as his wife and realised that though he is good and all but deep down he was not meant for me.
    Nature-wise we were poles apart.There is a gap and its not getting filled up.
    Infact it has increased so much more now.Many incidents took place and I realised that things wont improve.Today we are staying as a husband and wife with a kid.
    I have learnt to ignore many things and am peaceful right now.But deep down I feel that as 2 individuals we are good.But when coming together,our frequency is very different.Our thinking,our likings,our beleifs...everything is just poles apart.Initially I tried to work on this and was very submissive but now I have brought my ownself back.The same old girl who loves to have fun and live life to the fullest.My H is mpore of the serious kind who finds everything done for fun as waste.
    Ok coming to the point I do feel that had I thought more clearly and not given in to my mom's desperation,I could have found a better person for myself and he could have been happy with someone else.I was only 23..I needed at least 3 more years but then what can be done now ?
    I am not saying I am unhappy or something..but its just that we are simply very very different from each other and I keep thinking that if I had given more time to myself..Life cpould have been different!

So I just wanted to know how many of you feel the way I feel or if you have any pointers for me.

4 people like this.

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

I might not have any pointers but sure do have hugs to offer you and also to say do what you love and believe in doing sometimes that is such a stressbuster!
    And with due respect to your feelings dont you think it is too late in the day to think of what you could have done when all that lies ahead instead of wishing for a rewind button to life?

1 person likes this.
  3. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Not only in marriage, in most things in life - studies, jobs etc, we are often assailed by thoughts of "if only's" and "what if's" especially when things are not going as we expect it to go.

"if only i had waited, if only i had not married this guy, if only i had not done this/that..." ...maybe things would have been different." - All these thoughts are perfectly natural in times of stress. But prudence lies in accepting things as they are and moving on with it. There are no guarantees that you would have been much happier had you found some other guy later.

There is no such thing as "perfect" marriage...or "perfect" person for us. Success in any relationship is ultimately accepting one another warts and all...and respecting the differences. Stop focussing on what he is NOT and instead focus on good things about him...you will be at peace with yourself and your relationship.

Also take control of your own happiness by doing things that you want to .... maintain your individuality and self-respect. When you ARE happy with yourself and self-confident, it will bring about a positive change in your husband as well.

4. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

There are certain traits/ expectations from life... of an individual which decide whether a marriage shall be successful or no.
    Many people have already spent considerable time in finding partner of their choice getting into love marriage but still result into a disaster.

Its not that lovey dovey marriages have not had a fight.. its just that end of the day of their fight they decided to get back into each others arms and forget anything and everything that was said....
    Apart from those there are certain accidents of life (could be your carelessness or someone else's) with irreparable damange to the marriage system where it wont function to the fullest normal self... but may exist / live..... in/for support of something.

Mostly if you've seen a lot of real love before marriage... you shall continue to have it post marriage as well ... else there was something elementarily wrong with your stars (of love and affection) or behaviour which turns us into a difficult person to find "total" happiness in relationships.

5 people like this.
  5. RJMK

RJMK Silver IL'ite

Hi..

@mansimahi,I am doing what you have stated in your last paragraph.Trust me I have found peace with myself and understood that I have to stay and live like this.My H's nature is what it is and I am sure he will always remain the same.It is because thats how he is and people dont change just like that for someone.
    All I feel is that at the EOD I realkly dont get the inner zest to be with him or sit and have fun with him though we laugh together and all but over time I have known him so much that there is a void now. I just dont feel the connect.And I am saying this again that he is totally perfect and fine human being...But again the big question.

@ShilpaMa,I totally agree with you.We make ourselves difficult sometimes for others.But you know its not that I never tried.I changed myself so much and was unhappy from inside.Atleast now after letting myself loose I am happy for myself that I am not just passing everyday.I am living each day. I wanted to do this with my H besides me but I guess he is not the kind to think so much...

I know my H is happy to see me happy and energetic and all but I feel lonely in this marriage sometime..

6. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Have you tried talking to your husband how you feel??? Most men are completely clueless when it comes to our emotional needs. They think everything is fine in the marriage because you are still there with him
    and even if they feel there is a problem they tend to shut it out and not talk about it. The best thing would be to have an open discussion... if you find it diffcult talking to him, you can write what you feel and let him read and understand things.

I dont know how long you have been married, but i can tell you almost all marriages have some problem or the other after the initial few years... there is a sense of stagnation, sometimes void because the priorities are shifted. After childbirth, a woman's hormones go whack and that too contributes to the feelings of helplessness/hopelessness.

Maybe you are not able to bring yourself to be with him because you feel emotionally disconnected due to past events and your husbands apparent indifference, but you can still bring the spark back if you try. The worst thing you can do right now is to mentally shut him out.... you have to give yourself and him a chance to find happiness in each other...all of us deserve to be happy.

A bit of introspection will also not be amiss to find out what exactly are you missing in the relationship? Most of us know what we DONT want but hardly ever realise What we actually want...and we hanker for that elusive thing.

2 people like this.
  7. divyashetty18

divyashetty18 Senior IL'ite

RJMK,

I can exactly relate to your situation. I can completely understand what you are feeling. Let me tell you my story:

I too got married when I was 22+. I was also working after my B.Tech. All my classmates were in US either for MS or after marrigae. I was in so hurry to go to US just to escape my situation I married the first guy whome came to see me. Frankly speaking for marriage my only condition was that the guy should be in US. Only after few months after marriage I realised that marriage is a critical decision which needs a thorough thought. Before marriage I never even tought about what kind of person I would like to have as my husband.

Now the things which I miss in my husband are: he is short, he is not intelligent, his talks are not sensible, the age gap between us, but he is very caring and understading. I feel very bad when I see good looking pair walking around in malls. I also want my husband to be a well talked person, which he is not.

"So my marriage was an outcome of my desparateness to go to US". We are responsible for our own decisions. This is life.

8. IndianFunTube

IndianFunTube New IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]"Trust me I have found peace with myself and understood that I have to stay and live like this"

One question, WHY? Do you have a job? Do you think you can financially support yourself? These are the kind of relationships out of which dysfunctional children are born. If the kids haven't seen a stable/happy marriage, they'll either never want to get married or they'll screw up their own marriages in future. It's not like a relationship should be fairy tale like or that you expect something miraculous from it.That never happens. But if there is no chemistry between a couple, it's not worth it no matter what. Trust me, it's much better to live alone in the long term than live a miserable life with a false belief that you're at peace with yourself. A miserable life will not only ensure that your own happiness is elusive, but it will also affect the psyche of your kids in the long term.[/JUSTIFY]

9. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

i think its all about seeing things in a different perspective ...
    kids growing up in the same household behave differently , so its natural for men groomed in different families to behave differently. my dh is the very serious , studious , well behaved , aggressive guy.
    im the easy going , life's all about fun kind of person.
    in the many years of marriage i've tried to inculcate in him what i believe may be right for him and i have also learnt a lot from him. we look in the same direction but with different perspectives and thats just very natural.

dh never understood jokes or enjoyed silly movies. but now we do and thats how couples go along , i guess.
    at the end of day , im happy i have someone who isn't abusive or naive , but respectful and kind.

when i got married (at 23) ,the only thing my mom told me was, find the best in the man you get and be thankful for it. everything else will fall in place.
    it didn't make sense then , but today it does :)

6 people like this.
  10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

People keep thinking of the past and forget to live today. Some think that they were meant for higher /better spouses, jobs than what they have got.
    RJMK,
    To get a perfect partner in life one has to be the perfect partner.
    Who knows what DH wanted in a wife and what he got ?
    Please live in the present and count your blessings.
    You are in a stable marriage with no upheavals ,have a cute baby , maybe you are bored of the humdrum life. Please cultivate some hobbies, take up a job .
    Cherish what you have instead of lamenting what could have been.It could have been better, it could have been worse.

5 people like this.