1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Was It Rude To Point Out This Mistake ?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Mar 10, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Usually many of us would have encountered this..be it in theatres or restaurants..many would not have flushed the toilet.It sucks big time! It takes a second and still some people don’t have the decency to flush.

It has always irritated me a lot.I had gone to a restaurant and went to the restroom.The last who came out did flush but the last paper she had used was not flushed.As a reflex,I pointed out but in a very diplomatic and soft manner that she had not flushed.

It is not a big deal of course,just a paper but I don’t know why I pointed out,I just blurted it out to her.

She got so mad,rolled her eyes and luckily the restroom flushed itself automatically.The lady was also so sarcastic and left.

When I said this to my husband,he said that I over reacted and coz am Not working or in the work place,one has no idea how many times he or many have encountered this and not just workplace many other places and I made it a huge deal..

Well I agree but am sure that lady in question will surely think twice next time and check before coming out..

Maybe there should be a board outside every restroom and say “please flush”..something like that.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

This irks me the most. I would definitely tell if I notice someone not flushed after their use. Have told it in s polite manner a couple of times at my work place.
    It's very basic and it annoys when people don't follow something as simple as this.

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How did they react?

For me..it was just a piece of paper and the lady said it was just a paper and got annoyed..so am not sure if am wrong or right..

How did your co workers react?

Anusha2917 likes this.
  4. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

In my opinion that woman was using a public facility so she must abide by the public rule. Leave the place clean. It has nothing to do with you being working or not working.

Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

True..I have encountered this situations in shopping malls,theatres..the flush works beautifully and still people won’t flush!!

6. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

When people are used to automatic flush, they very easily forget to flush manually. It happens everywhere, mostly in work places. I never tell them, rather I flush it before/after use or move on to another one.
    Also this happens in places where one or more persons (not family) share bathroom in a house, apt, etc.
    If you point out this as a mistake, even in a polite and gentle manner, most people don't realize as their mistakes rather they find fault on you and think how come you are supposed to say like this to them. They even think you are so picky. Unnecessary it creates a hatred feeling on you.
    For me, this happens everyday at my work. If I start saying to flush, the person may think it's unprofessional for me to tell this. Also this makes both of us uncomfortable when we meet next time somewhere in the office. Just by saying once, are they going to change? No. They should realize this and do it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    yellowmango, SGBV and anika987 like this.
  7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Reaction was not rude ,given the fact that we are co workers . They immediately said oops sorry and went back and flushed .
    One was US return . She used tissue ,put in the commode and didn't flush. I said don't put the tissue in that use the dustbin, she said this is thinner tissue and supposed to be flushed .i said fine.. But u haven't flushed it. It's floating in the commode. She obviously was offended but went back n flushed it.
    She met the women committee head and made her send an email to all women employees that we should put the thinner tissue in the flush and not put in dustbin. She also had a theory that this is so thin it will not clog the pipeline etc etc.
    Lol.. Whatever her theory was my intention of telling her was "please flush it "

anika987 likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I were that lady, I would respond back that the paper was there before I used the toilet and that I am treating the toilet like a national park.. not taking anything and not leaving anything that wasn't there.

It is rude to point out such things. You don't know what happened inside. Maybe the flush was one of those new efficient flushes that uses less water. Maybe, the auto flush started before she could put the toilet seat paper or toilet paper in her hand into the toilet. Maybe she is the type who conserve water and do not flush again just to get rid of some paper.

So, it was an auto-flush thingie? Many people like me find it challenging to figure out how to manually trigger the auto-flush things.

Yes, it is the restaurant's job to put up signs. There are many funny ones available.

This might be far-fetched.. but, never hurts to be kind to people. We don't know what they are dealing with in their lives. Maybe she got a call from the doctor about a biopsy, maybe she just discovered not getting pregnant this month either..

If you work in the place or use it often, approach the management about it. Unless a person is walking out the restroom with a toilet paper roll following them, or they forgot a phone, purse, do not gently remind them about anything.

On a more practical note -- she might have a hotheaded boyfriend or husband waiting outside who has a gun in the car.

kaniths, ILoveTulips, NeetaR and 6 others like this.
  9. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

In sensor-initiated flushes, the hand could be waved contactless to manually signal the control system. However in mechanical flushes, many prefer not to touch the handle or knob of the flush in public restrooms, so, tear away the toilet sheet to hold the handle and drop that superfluous sheet in the ensuing flush. This is not soiled paper. Which means ... to flush this solitary paper, one must tear another and flush ... so forth, till the onrush timing of the siphonic flow and the instant discard of the last sheet match. The squeamish might even regiment this with auto-flush to coerce out a manual flush. Wave a toilet paper to avoid accidental touch!

Thus, could be the mysterious origin of the wispy flotsam in the toilet bowl. Next time you notice an unkind paper in the toilet bowl, think of the possibility of it being a clean sheet and not dignify it with a priority disposal, thereupon, forgo the compulsion to be tasked rude in your suspected call-out.

kaniths, anika987 and yellowmango like this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Singapore public toilets could have security cameras, and those who didn't flush may even get named, and outed in the local newspaper. Of course, there is a fine for not flushing.