Was hospitalized

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by MOM 2 BE, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I am 3 months pregnant now. Over a month i have been vomitting and hardly am i eating any food since then. No vitamin tablets coz they caused me more nausea. Just taking folic acid.
    Saturday, my symptoms worsened and i was taken to the hospital and was put on IV fluids. I feel extremely weak and hardly am i able to eat anything.
    The worst part is my nausea increases from afternoon 3 and lasts till 7 evening. Should i stop eating anything at that time ? How do i control this ?

I dont feel like eating what i cook or my husband. I stay in the USA, Was thinking of visiting India, to my mom's place. But the travel so far, shakes me. Plz advice me on what i should do ?

Thanks.

2. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mom2Be:

I am very sorry to note that you had to be hospitalized. I have heard that for some people, the nausea and vomiting will be severe enough that they get dehydrated and need to get hospitalized. It has happened to one of my cousins also. But dont worry, as you are in the 3rd month already, all this discomfort should pass soon. I know it is very difficult to think of eating/drinking anything because you are going to puke out anyway, but still dont starve yourself. If between 3 to 7 you cannot take any solids, have something liquid like some health drinks or the like, at least for the sake of the baby.Thats what everyone is advising me too.

If any of your friends/relatives live closeby, please dont hesitate to get their help. If possible, try to bring your mom to stay with you. You will feel better if you haev someone to help you with your cooking and other household chores. Take good rest. Listen to some soothing music or watch some movie to divert yourself or read something interesting. All this is to divert yourself. It will definitely help. I will keep you in my prayers...Take care.

Regards,
    Radhee.

3. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Mom 2 be!!

I got surprised after reading that you had to be hospitalized. How are you feeling now??

I can understand very well because I feel nauseous too but I dont throw up and this feeling is not limited to some particular hours I feel the same way for the whole day. I am experiencing just 2 feelings these days either I feel hunger or nausea.

Sooooo dont get tensed .....try taking something liquid like radhee has suggested, like fresh made lemonade ......it really helped me yesterday, I had around 1 and half litre as I felt some relief from nausea after having it......and have it chilled as chilled as you can. You can also try lassi like they say a pregnant woman should have cold natured things as much as she can for the first trimester. Both the things are good for stomach ....I think these homemade drinks should help you.

Take care ......everything will be alright soon.
    Vnbaby

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi mom2be,

really sorry to hear that u had to be hospitalized. Hope you are feeling better now.
    Do hang on for some more time and you will really feel better.

Do drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated. I used to take little bit of lemon juice sometimes that helped me.'

Also I used to eat very less ajwain (omam in tamil) when the feeling of nausea sets in.
    Frankly it never stopped me from throwing up, but yes the irritating feeling would reduce for me.

Do try some home remedies and you will be fine soon

All the best and take care

5. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

hi mom2be,
    first of all congrats. i know what you feel, i too went over the same thing you have mentioned, even hospitalized(twice), it was really something very hard to go thru, i had severe nausea, vomitting everything, but the worst part is you have to eat, my gyne prescribed me to take "zofran", it was my best friend back then:clap. it is actually a pill that you take one everryday to control your nausea and vomitting, after taking that i felt much better. talk to your doctor abt, but still then most of the insuraces donesn't cover it cos its very costly, a single pill costs around 30$:spin. but i should say it was really worth. its safe too, so talk to your doctor.

once its all over, at the end when you have your baby in your hands, you wud say everrything was worth. ALL THE BEST.

6. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

hi,felt bad that u were hospitalised as i have gone thr same situation when i was 6 weeks pregnant.now i m in 14 weeks n my nausea is also going now so don't worry u will also b fine.i also didn't cook for almost more than 1 n half month but now i have started cooking.
    as to ur food intake u can eat curd rice as i use to feel better eating that n i m taking fresh tender coconut water everyday which gives energy.
    rest my good wishes r with u,as i have started feeling better u will also feel better.
    bye take care.