Warning members about disclosing personal information

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Gauri03, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of users post valuable personal information online making themselves vulnerable to scams and identity theft. I am most disconcerted by the astrological predictions thread where members give out their dates of birth, full names and in some cases addresses. Such information can be misused most egregiously. I think it is ethically incumbent on the forum administrators to warn these members of the perils of publicly posting such information. I realize that the terms of service already contain such a warning but I don't think anyone reads that while signing up. The members who post in that thread are doing so in good faith. They are already troubled by their real life issues. One wouldn't want them to get into trouble just because they asked for help online. That thread is an identity thief's dream come true!

Concerned ILite,
    Gauri

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Gauri,

Thanks you for alerting us to this. Can you provide links to those threads so we can review and take appropriate action?

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sure!

Here, here and here.

With all that info, anyone could get a credit card and ID for any of those people.

4. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Gauri,

Thanks for the pointers. All those threads have been edited to include a Moderator note advising the members of the risks in sharing personal information.
    We welcome your suggestion and feedback which makes the forum a safe and friendly community.