1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Warning Bells Again - The 'Security' Issue

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Nov 21, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear sridhar,

I was reading yours and all the all the other disussions...it is good to stay as a silent obserer sometimes and that was what i was doing....since i really did not have anything much to say, but more to think only.
    But one thought came in mind...what about so many of them who really dont know what they want from life or careers....i see so many who are always shifting from one to another , since they are not sure or are not able to make decisions...or stick to some job since they dont know what else they can do....i know quite a few of them who are like this.. They were never brilliant in their studies and also dont seem to have any other talents or maybe they dont know if they have something in themat all....i wont say they are happy or just comfortable with their lives. So there are a lot of them like this , so what about them.....and i know they have not even thought about such things as risks or security in life.....:confused:

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A good question, Sudha!

Dear Sudha,

That is a pertinent question. But those people are not pertinent to our discussion. For those people our advice will be stick on to whatever they are in and try to survive as long as possible.

But the new age dynamics will also make them wake up. Shape up or ship out will be the motto employers will adopt in future. Increasingly the Government functions are also outsourced. So the fate of such people would be in question.

But at times these people are rewarded. For God rewards people not based on their skillsets or passions, but on their loving heart. I know a colleague of mine in the company where I worked. He was very simple, large hearted, and I have never seen him angry or short tempered.
    He wanted to study for ACS. He wanted my help. I spent all my week ends (back in 82,83 when I was not married) with him. But he belonged to the unteachable category.
    Concepts like passion to work, security and risks are quite alien to him. He was always a happy go lucky man.

He was struggling with his clerical job. But one day in the late ninties I saw him getting down from his own car and climbing into the AC coach of Pandyan Express. He recognised me and came running to me. He told me that some American Collaborator of his employer had chosen him for the upcoming project. He was designated as GM in the first go, with a good salary, good perks and what not.

I told him with all my heart, you deserve it my brother, for the only reason that you have a large heart and have never spoken an angry word. When I told him May God Bless you, I was very sure thatGod has already blessed him and I could almost touch God's Grace in him.

Just wanted to balance my "passions"thread.
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Dear Ladies,
    I have one more argument before we sign off on this discussion. I think most of you might have read my article The Tinker, The MBA and the Upholsterer in the Articles Section.
    Please read that artcile again to appreciate my line of reasoning.
    Here's the link
    http://www.indusladies.com/customs/vrengaswamy1.php#

regards,
    Varalotti

4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

The Tinker,.................... is an excellent article casts light on the life of People who lives extremely different ways of life.
    Al most all people who lives on daily wages spend a happy life without worrying of future.
    They would be worried only when some unexpected things happens in life.
    But the other one who occupies most of the pleasures of modern life continues a life thinking of his savings ,business, children's education etc..

However, the most important thing in one's life is having a wife and children who do not long for material pleasures. Other wise his life would be in hell. If he could satisfy his family's needs with his little earning then his life is a success.
    The other one who works hard until 10'o clock might have a family who expects every thing that is good, not ready to face the tough phases of life.
    So nothing makes one happy in life than having a family who understands him very well.

5. varalotti

Lets Relax A While!

Most Gracious ILItes,

This Saturday let's relax and read a story of mine entitled The Risk.

This is a sequel to all the discussions we had on security, the warning bells. But I have just introduced risk at the home level for the wife of an insurance executive (whose business to deal with risks).

See you all there soon.
    regards,
    Varalotti

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti...

Read your thoughts about your tinker, MBA and upholsterer! It is this talent you have in recognising a value in everything and everyone you come across that makes your writing so special. Your book ' Vetriyin Vidhaigal' are full of such examples. I am enjoying every instance given in that book, like enjoying every sip of a morning cup of tea. Life is full of comedy and tragedy. It is left to us to percieve it in whichever way we want and therein lies the whole 'mantra'.

L, Kamla

7. varalotti

I am sorry I could not...

I wrote that article with all my heart and its edited version appeared in Deccan Herald a few years back.
    But I am sorry that I could not convey adequately in words what I saw in that tinker. He was more like a Zen Master in his deepest meditative state when he was at work. He doesn't care a damn even if the company's MD is standing near by and watching. I am sure even if God were to watch him like that, he would not mind Him. At that state the distinction between the doer of the work and the work vanishes.
    Our shastras say that that is a state where the dualities (thd dvandhas) go off and then the doer can be called the jeevan muktha.
    if I were to start my life all over again and if I have the wisdom and strength which I have at this age, I would love to be an apprentice under that Master.
    Thanks again, Kamla.
    sridhar