1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Warding off evil eye for babies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by tuvila, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

Hi all,

Iam back with another query,doesnt know whether it is already available!
    How do you ward off evil eye (suthi porathu in tamil)for your babies and is it really effective or just a myth?

I have been asked to rub a camphor all over my baby's body,circle it round her head thrice and burn in it outside the house(in the evening).Silence has to be maintained till the whole ritual is completed.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

HI,
    you take salt in both the hands. firstyou rotateyour right hand with salt around your baby then repeat it with the other hand. dissolve in the running water. salt is very effective because it absorbs the negative element. that is why in pranic healing also they use salt.
    with love
    pad.

sindmani likes this.
  3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Tuvila, for your information camphor oil is poisonous for children. So never use camphor directly on the skin.
    Well, if you were to ask whether I believe it is a myth or not, I would say yes, it is a myth. Children fall ill because adults around them do not wash their hands frequently, not just after using toilet or before preparing their food, but also when they return home from outside. Wash hands frequently if you have a cold or runny nose. We adults transfer germs to children when we have a cold by rubbing our runny nose and touching the child with it .without washing- look up "Fomites"..
    Using kajal on the eyes/face could be harmful to the child because some of them have lead. But then my roots are in the rationality movement and I do tend to look at "kannu vekkarathu/suthi podarathu" a little suspiciously.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi ,
    i donot believe in these things but was constantly forced by mom & mil to perform them to evade evil eye when our 1st child was born.i was very defiant in beginning but then my dh interfered & told me to do as these acts were harmless.well,i did when the elders were around.once we were back at our place i stopped doing them.

with the 2nd one it was different story.he attracts lots of attention .so whenever he cries out of hunger ,tiredness or anything my dh comments 'do something on him' (to evade evil eye).now,will do it sometimes if dh is around.if he is not there will try to console the baby without restorying to these means.

all said i also agree that if it gives u mental peace Do it.............

but as tikka pointed don't use stuff which is harmful.instead go for other means like salt or donating alms by 1st touching it to baby or putting God's vibuthi tilak on baby's forehead.
    pragati

sindmani likes this.
  5. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi Tuvila,

We can do this with harmless things. these are rituals which our elders follow. If its harmless we can do it.... even i was not believing all these things. But my mom and MIL forced me to do... now a days i make it a habit for my baby..... as suggested u can use Salt and dissolve it in water. i will do the same for my baby...

Take care.
    Indhu.

sindmani likes this.
  6. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

As Padmini ma'm has said, salt is a great reliever of negative energy and is used in many cultures to ward of the "Evil Eye" (Negative energy of people around you)... And it is cheap... and You spend about 2 minutes for the whole process... And I'm sure contrary to expectations, we ladies do not really mind staying silent for 2 minutes... :rotfl

And the process keeps the elders happy and distracts the crying baby... :thumbsup

So ... go ahead and ward off the "Evil Eye"... So easy to do... and so many benefits...

sindmani likes this.