want mangoes without artificial ripening

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by sumividya, Jun 12, 2011.

1. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

HELLO CHENNITES,
    where can i find mangoes in chennai without artificial ripening , especially in and around annanagar, i tried in palamudir cholai of annanagar, but not satisfied,
    lastweek , i went to arakonam via tandalam bypass , i exactly dont know the name of by pass, on the way there were small villages came, people from those villages they directly pick mangoes fom their fams & sell on road side, i came near a village called alinjivakkam ( dont remember exact name) & from there i bought mangoes , to be honest, those mangoes taste great,,,
    i wish i could go to that village again & buy few no no many more kgs... but i cant go again
    thats y iam searching in chennai , if anybody knows kindly leet me know, becoz , i need to buy some kgs of sweet mangoes without artificial ripening to my sister abroad.
    thanks

2. jeyan

jeyan New IL'ite

Hi Thanks for the post. I will let you know if i come across any thing like that...

Regards,

3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

SumiVidya,

How do you find out that the mangoes are artificially ripened? Is there a way to check that?

Also sending mangoes abroad - never heard of that as well

4. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

hello smart soul,
    iam not sending mangoes aboad but iam taking a few kgs along with me , as iam going to visit my sisters place.
    second , we can easily find out , from the smell., fom the skin & fom the taste, &
    the skin becomes thin when carbide stones ae used, taste differs, when u cut ,inside it is raw or damaged, the weight becomes less when stoness are used,
    atleast i can find the difference, i dont know about others.,

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sumividya,

i think you cannot take fruits or vegetables in your luggage. there is a restriction and if you still need to take you need to go by certain regulations..when it is carried internationally..this is what i have been told and we stopped bringing apples/kiwis from abroad from the last two years.

do check it out.

6. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

Hello shanvy,
    but 3 months before also , my brother took vegetables , sweets,fruits like guava ,pomegranate, etc not much , but little quantity,
    and now , iam again planning to go and this time i want to take banganapalli mangoes , so i asked , but its ok , if i cant get good mangoes in chennai, i will go to the village side to get from farm, but the problem is , i dont have time to take the car and go ..,,
    thanks for ur reply

7. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

sumividya

I got mangoes without artificial ripening in madipakkam yesterday (Near Bus terminus). They are ripening the mangoes in old way (pluck it from their farm when it is semi ripe and place it in Hay).

I saw your query someday back and was searching today to reply. It took some time as i could not remember the forum . Had to ty all permutation and combination of mango in my search

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

zingy

are you talking about the truck load coming in from karapakkam. ?? they are seen in nanganallur, madipakkam.

that is what they say. but i have become so skeptical..I still soak them, scrub them and peel them before i give the kids.

9. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy,
    I am not talking about that the truck load I have seen them too .

This is a house cum shop (very near madipakkam bus terminus in Bajani koil st ) . I personally know them . They normally sell mangoes during summer. They get raw mangoes from farm in Nandambakkam and they sell it after it ripens. I saw the rooms where they have kept mangoes for ripening in hay.
    I got some 2 kg yesterday thats when I saw the room.

10. kaverivenkat

kaverivenkat Bronze IL'ite

Dear sumividya,

The best way of buying mangoes are where
    you by in the village is genuine. You can go
    ahead there itself.

kaverivenkat