1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Waking up early -- how do u all manage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by chirpymom, Jul 7, 2010.

1. chirpymom

chirpymom New IL'ite

Its really amazing the way most of the ILites have a schedule in place,even i love routines. I have 1.5 yr son , so after we get up there is a routine in place that i have been working on for past 2 months. DS feeding time and play time etc are fixed .. but i feel i hardly get anytime for myself hence end up being awake till 2 am, mostly on internet or writing my blog. DH is very upset with this ... i was surfing IL for some ideas .Friends how do i go to sleep on time .. i m doing most of the things on menu planning, grocery list, cleaning, cooking etc and am happy with it .. its only time for myself ... as whole day goes in supervsing DS.

I get up by 10 am and go off to sleep by 2 am . I do all my household work after Dh comes home (except for things like loading / unloading dishwasher , prepg DS's food , feeding him , bath ( his and mine) , prayer, taking him out for stroll i do during daytime )

After DH comes around 7 pm I start with activities like prepg snacks for evening ( preps are done most of the time), cooking dinner and next day lunch, packing lunch for DH for next day, cutting fruits , cleaning kitchen and putting the entire house in place , also feeding son twice in between . all this finishes by 11 pm. i take son in bedroom for sleeping .. 3 of us spend some time together and i try put son to sleep .. Around 12 he is asleep .. I feel all fresh after this and then i am awake till 2 am ..

pls suggest me ways to get to bed on time and get up early( atleast by 7 am ).There are lots of things i m missing out since i dont get up early .. like yoga , meditation .. :bowdown

Moderators .. if there is an existing thread pls direct me to the same .. i dint find one ..

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

chirpymom, I think the key for you is to get your kid to bed by 8.30, latest. That will also give you an hour or so with hubby and hep you wake up early say 6, if you want to do yoga meditation etc. That is what has helped me and if the kids wake up in the morning after I wake up, DH has to take care - since 6 is not too early, it works just right for all of us.

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Chirpy mom, its like someone has asked exactly what i want :)))
    Rama, I sleep by 11 or 11.30pm, but I dont wake up by 6am, on all days. Mostly its by 7am or 7.30am. Looks like am programmed to switch off the alarm and getback to sleep in a jiffy:hide: How to change this habit of mine? I want mornings to be peaceful, rather than getting things done in a hurry. It affects a lot on my schoolgoing child. Any tips? Ideas?

4. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Pon. i remember you didn't have a maid earlier, not sure now.
    what worked for me is to have my maid come earlier. i also bragged to her that we all have to leave early to work, kid to go to school early etc - its coz of you that we are getting late blah blah. so after all this, whether or not i wanted, i had to get up at least to open the door for her and monitor. once up on the feet, no one can stop us ! he he...:thumbsup

so what i feel.. creating some kind of urgency to the situation might help until we get used to the practice.

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Asha, i have a maid now, who comes in the evenings. This urgency situation in the mornings - nice idea :)))))))))) I have a milk lady, who drops in by 5.45am, she leaves milk at our door step. Should i ask her to ring the calling bell? Until i come and open the door? But i like this idea :))

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Chirpymom,
    IMO, This is one toughphase every parent has to go through. I have 2.6 years old son, I too have same routine like you as I am a fulltime working mom. Even weekends I sleep around 1:00 AM, and wakesup at 7:00 max daily. These timings are really fixed and we can't change our routines. Though I have a tight schedule, I have a good maid support too for cleaning vessles,washing clothes and floor cleaning. May be little time management is what you have to do. But now a days, Our Schedule can't be Kid's schedule.They dont follow as per our timings.

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

i tried this milkman tactics earlier.. didn't work out with me Pon. coz it wasn't the milkman's job to wake us up.. so he kept saying he rang the bell whereas i never seemed to hear it. now with this maid, this works. if you pay your milk lady more just to wake you up, then it might work.. (not kidding, serious, nothing comes for free). hey, how abt a pet cat? in fear of it drinking the milk lying outside you may have to get up early... :rotfl

sorry chirpymom.. can't be of any help to you coz these maids/milklady fundas dont work out in the place you live. like Rama said it looks quite late for an adult, leave alone a child as old as yours, going to sleep at 12 midnight. though i love my time after kids go to sleep and have kept up till 1-2am to surf/read/watch tv, i dont think that works out with me on weekdays. with great difficulty i advanced the sleep time of my dd, now 4 years. ds is an early sleeper himself. good luck to you !

8. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Chirpymom,

IMO waking up early is a matter of habit/ practice!
    Set and alarm on your phone/ mobile and within a few days you will get used to it. If you want to start your day at 6.30 then wake up at 6 so you have time to urself! Then attack the day ahead!

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Chirpymom, am gonna hijack your thread, join with me pls :)
    Ladies, am gonna post here everyday on my wakeup times, to get some improvement. TO get pats if i wake up ealy and to get virtual kicks and smacks, if i dont do so. Ok?
    Asha, Janani, Priyamommy, Rama, pls be there :)
    The thing is, i had a live in maid, in the initial 2yrs of marriage. So no requirements as such, to wakeup early. Later, i did wakeup by 6 or 6.30am, but DH was my wakeup alarm, mobile/clock - didnt work for me. THe past 1.5yrs, i had the preggy lady/new mom license to getup late, i didnt bother much. Now my DD is going to school, with packed lunch, it sucks when i wakeup late and do things in a hurry. It spoils the morning peacefulness of the entire family. DH has started to get irritated. I thought I would change when she goes to school, but am NOT:hide: I feel so bad this way. Pls help
    me girls.

Asha, my milk lady is a nice one, she would wake me up if i ask her. But i dont want the kids too wakeup soon :))) Will try to wakeup with alarm, let me not stop, instead, letme snooze.

Janani, yaaaaaaaaaaaa you are soo much right. Its a habit. Which i have forgotten, I want to bring it back. I was an early riser otherwise. Only these 2yrs, i have been happily sticking to this late habit, finding some reason or the other:bonk

PriyaMommy, No matter what time kids sleep, if we have the habit of rising early, things fall in place i guess.

Sorry girls, i felt like pouring out :)

10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Pon,
    Good luck on your becoming a early bird!
    The thing for me here is my children leave early to school so Iam kinda left with not much choice! Im working too so can't afford to sleep late which will make my routine suffer!! We are here to cheer you on!