Waiting to hear from dog lovers!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by outofthebox, May 5, 2012.

1. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

What advice/suggestions/recommendations would you like to give someone who has never had a pet before, but wants to......

I like to have a dog as a pet, but the irony is that, in my childhood i was terrified of a pet dog of one my friends that i started running around as that doggy was chasing me inside the house! as far as i remember, that was my first experience with a pet dog I guess...but when i started working, i remember the first touch of a little puppy ! :) ever since, i have this desire to have a cute little doggy....i have fancied a pomeranian, but not sure of the other breeds, how to care for one...

i have told this to my DH many times, but he often tells that we need to maintain properly, and we may not be able to go out on vacation...but my counter-argument to that is, we dont come knowing everything, so maybe if i had some one to teach me on how to take care...and as for making trips, if some proper place to care was available, we could enquire properly on that....

i still have this strong desire to have a pet, and not sure when it will happen...but i want to hear lots of stuff/recommendations/suggestions/tips from a dog lover ......i am totally new to having a pet...so keeping that in mind, i hope to hear lots from all you ILS out there.....

oh & by the way, i read somewhere in the Pets forum abt some good kernels in Bangalore, in case people want to plan a trip or something? yes, i want to know more abt such options in Bangalore....

and i can imagine that if i were to start adopting a pup, it will be very much like having a baby ! am open to that, and maybe even my DD will find it fun to have a doggy companion :) never know!!

am really looking forward to hear from dog lovers in this IL forum !

thanks !

3 people like this.

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

HI..
    great to know that you wish to adopt a puppy.. but please be aware that they grow up into being dogs real fast.. the net is full of sites on which you can get advise on the type of dog is suitable for your lifestyle.
    a dog is a baby for life and needs love care and attention.. if you think that you can't give a commitment then please don't get one as its just not fair on the dog...
    once you get a pet home he/ she becomes a part of your family... its 2 yrs since we have our dog and believe me its the best thing we've ever done.. dogs give you unconditional love.. going home from work is so pleasurable when Harley comes and gives me his greeting.. jumping all over..
    My suggestion to you is to please discuss with your family at length and make sure everybody is willing to pitch in to make this the best experience for life..
    K

4 people like this.
  3. outofthebox

hi kelly !

thanks a lot for stopping by to comment on my post ! I was really wondering only people are viewing and no posts ! well...yes definitely am going to discuss with my family thoroughly even before going into getting one...thats why i posted such a msg at length in this forum, so that i can hear from people who are experienced in having pets.....and as i said earlier, they are like babies....living beings...so at no cost will i try to abandon them....but i shud know if i am ready to have one or not......i mean i have really no inkling abt how to handle a puppy/doggy.....so wanted to have opinions....

so what breed is Harley ? and did you get him as a pup? i see that you are from bangalore....what do you do when you go for vacation...i mean i asked abt that kernels rite ? do let me know your experiences!

4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi out of the box ( Liked it.....you do have an 'out of the world' user ID ....truly unique !! LOL ),

Your enthusiasm and eagerness to get a pet doggie of your own to cuddle and play with is heartwarming to read ......but as you yourself said ...ARE YOU READY ?
    As buddy Kelly has put it across ever so clearly ....Do NOT GET ONE If YOU CANNOT be fully committed in terms of time managewment and attention to little details specially rearing from puppy stage to adulthood.
    Believe me, even an adult dog needs all the attention as a pup ...the difference is only in degree ....they never really GROW UP ....unlike kids ....they remain kiddies all their lives ....therein lies their charm for genuine dog lovers who can pamper them all along.
    Let me underline the fact that IT IS A FULL TIME JOB......but the rewards are priceless.
    If you are on a working schedule and will be away from home for a long period, you will have to ensure some human supervision till you get back .Dogs crave for human company and it is cruel to leave them locked up or tied up alone for long periods....unless you have two dogs .We have always had 2 for company.
    Right now we have a 5 year old Lab and a 2 year old Basset hound and they are the best of buddies.
    So do give it a serious thought before you plunge headlong ....make sure all your family members promise to do their mite so that you will all enjoy your pet and the little darling will have a hapy home too .
    BTW,I'm in your territory too ......wish I could speak to you ....but HOW???

2 people like this.
  5. outofthebox

Hi Paulina !

Thanks for your bit of info !! :)
    Well, let me blatant on this forum...am still NOT READY yet to have a puppy, but its just the strong desire to have one.....and am fully aware that wanting to have one need not make me ready to have one, right ;-)
    Which is the basic reason for me to post on this forum to know from those already having pets ...and I assume that there may be people out there who are first-generation owners of pets...what i mean is, some of the households are used to having pets....but in some cases, it maybe their first time....and the main reason why I want to check so much is because I do not want to quit mid-way, as that will be the most cruel thing to do !!! so , am taking the help of this forum to get more real-time experiences !!

well, am available on PM, and hope you will too,....shall send you a msg and u can see if u get it right...:)

1 person likes this.
  6. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi,

Great advice by others, I put together a few things that came to mind...

I can think of the following changes in daily life, if you adopt a dog:

• For some breeds, you may need to brush the dog daily to avoid having dog hair all over the place.
    • Even if you house train a dog very well, they will most likely have an ‘accident’ (peeing/pooping) every once in a while in the home.
    • Daily exercise is a must for most breeds. If you have a yard, they can run around themselves but if you are in an apt, you have to take them out not just for peeing/pooping but for their exercise.
    • If you intend to leave the dog alone for most of the day as both are working:
    *Separation anxiety may become a problem. Most dogs will settle down 20-30 minutes after the owner leaves, but some dogs tend to get very anxious and may bark a lot (neighbors will complain if in an apartment), or chew things or pee/poop in their nervousness. While this is a big issue, there are ways to work on separation anxiety... But it takes a patient pet owner.

*Separation anxiety aside, you may need to find a trustworthy person to take the dog out during the day, as Paulina said.
    Few things to consider before adopting:

• Research the breed that you are interested in and the common issues with them. Some breeds are more suited to apartment living, some are reputed to be better with kids and so on. You can find info online.
    • Similarly research common dog behavior problems and read about their solutions.
    • What do you think is a valid reason for giving up a pet?
    Generally speaking, top reasons that I have heard for giving up pets:
    *Moving: Most of us shift cities and sometimes even countries, for work. It is possible to take the dog with us but have to spend money. Also need to find a home in the new place with an owner that is okay with pets.
    *Aggression: If a puppy is not socialized or trained properly, it can develop aggression towards people, barking unnecessarily and even biting. Early socialization and obedience training of a puppy should take care of this. Since your question is whether a first time dog owner can do this – I think patience and consistency are very important in dog training. You can go over dog training books and even enroll into puppy training classes in the beginning.
    *Had a baby/working longer hours and no more time for the dog: This is a reason I hear a lot, and I don’t know what to say about it…
    * Allergies: Does anyone in the household have allergies to dogs? To figure out, you can try to spend some time with the breed you intend on adopting beforehand, if possible.
    • If you rent, is the owner ok with you having a pet?
    • It is great that you are inquiring about kennels available around you beforehand… Try to find out what they charge and make sure you are okay with that, especially if you travel a lot. Another factor to kennels is – the more socialized and trained your dog is, the happier the kennel staff and the dog.
    • Vet costs... Usually this is not a problem... just initial spaying/neutering, then regular checkups and rabies shots, etc., unless the dog is constantly sick.
    • Is everyone in the household 100% enthusiastic about getting the dog and having it for 10-15 years? No point if they complain about chores/inconveniences later.

Other general things to know:

• Everyone has their own theory about whether dogs should be fed ‘people food’ or not. But if you do feed them ‘people food’, make sure that you know which foods are okay for dogs. (e.g.: grapes, onions, chocolate, etc. are not supposed to be good) You can find lists of these foods on the internet. Make sure any visitors to your home don’t feed them toxic food by mistake.
    • Some house plants are poisonous to pets, if they eat the leaves; you can find lists on the internet easily.
    • Puppies are known to chew on and destroy furniture, clothes, etc. when they are in the teething stage. Not much anyone can do as far as I know, other than keeping valuables out of reach and correcting the puppy to chew on its chew toys.
    • As dogs get older (10+) and if their health declines, depending on the breed, the frequency of their accidents in the home may increase.

4 people like this.
  7. outofthebox

Hi deepslikes!

this is the most comprehensive of all msgs that I got until now, and this is exactly what I was kinda expecting !!!! I read each and every bit of what you have mentioned here!!! Now, I am all the more determined to learn more abt puppies & doggies before I go into adopting one.....and as I now live in a rented home, I may not be able to go for it immediately, but it definitely gives me ample time to learn about them, and never know...by the time I have some idea, I could always move into a house of my own...!!!

And oh yes, my hubby also likes dogs, but his main concern was that how we will take care......and am already training my DD to not get scared of doggies, unlike me, when I was very scared as a child....and though she doesnt get close to any, she keeps teling..."mamma, when shall we get a puppy".......so i guess a little more reading and little more convincing from my side to my hubby.....but now i am not going to hurry in this regard....shall look thro these forums itself for more ideas....and also of course, try to get on-hand experience.....

and one day, I hope to post here sayin that I have adopted one finally :) :)

Thanks a ton for this, and you have surely spent a lot of time detailing stuff for me!!! Really really appreciate that!!! :) And I am sure, this info/pointers will be useful for not only me, but also others like me who would like to take advice!!! :)

Sooper dooper like :)

8. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Outofthebox,

Great to know that you will adopt a pup sometime - sooner or later. I just have one thing to say. When you feel, you are ready, I request you to consider adopting an Indian pup (yes, I mean street dog/pup). Why because, they are less troublesome, need very little care compared to any breed. I have had a German Shepperd and have experience with Dobermans. Now, have an Indian pup too. Indian dogs fall sick very rarely as our climate suits them well. VERY BREED is prone to a particular genetic problem.

"Pet Pals" in The Hindu features puppies that are for adoption every Wednesday. A group named "Chennai Adoption Drive" runs monthly adoption drives at Boat Club Road. You can just visit one of the drives. Volunteers there will give you lots of tips and ideas on how to care for your pet. You may or may not plan to adopt - its totally up to you. But you get an additional benefit of spending little time with the cute pups there ;-)
    Puppies that come thro' PetPals and Drive are all vaccinated and de-wormed, so you have no worries.Also read : The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Pet pals

All the Best! :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  9. outofthebox

Hi Custard ("sweet" name..this name reminds me that its been a long while since i made one...:-D :-D :-D)

Thanks for the encouraging words...and to all those who have taken time to give me their feedback and suggestions....- I really appreciate that you all are giving me the pros and cons which has definitely made me put a speedbreaker to my thoughts , and go a little slow and steady before I get the right one meant for our family !!! :)

Well, adoption from a center is a good idea.....and oh I wasn't aware that there are volunteers who give tips on caring for pets....for people like me who have interest but no idea how to go about, i think this kind of a place would be the best to start with ! and yes, I have been regularly reading that PetPals features in The Hindu, and real life stories by pet lovers....but i will be moving shortly to Bangalore, which is why I have been enquiring about such places in Bangalore.....let me see if Bangalore edition has such a column, or if you are aware of any similar one there, do let me know...

Thumbs up for this suggestion ! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite