1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

vonage calls- 911 - how does this work

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by ashwini999, Jan 30, 2010.

1. ashwini999

ashwini999 Senior IL'ite

i got a vonage phone for use in india..
    and i requested the 911 calls to be set to out of country..
    but how to disable it completely..
    because, if my family back home dials 911 by mistake..i dont want them to get a call back.

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Ashwini,

I didn't really understand your situation, but this is how 911 address is set in Vonage.

Login to your vonage account, click on 'Account' tab. Your account info will be listed there. There you will find a link 'Edit 911 Address' under 'phone numbers'. Vonage uses the address mentioned in that link to locate you if you dial 911. In case address in not set there, Vonage uses your billing address for 911 too. If you want to edit your 911 address, you can always do so by clikcing the link 'edit 911 dialing address'.

Regarding 'Out of Country' 911 setting, this is what Vonage says.

"<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0>By changing your 911 dialing status to "Out of Country" you will have no access to basic or enhanced 911 service in the United States. Upon your return to the United States, you must reinstate your U.S. 911 dialing address. Failure to reinstate 911 dialing to your current U.S. address will cause your 911 call to be routed to the Vonage National Emergency Call Center instead of the appropriate local emergency center.
    Out Of Country 911 Dialing will apply to all lines on this device. "

I'm not sure whether there is a way to completely opt out of 911 service. You may write to Vonage to clarify that - they usually respond fast. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010