1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vomit while travel

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by nutty_witty, May 7, 2010.

1. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter (2.5 yrs ) old, have motion sickness. She vomits while traveling by car. can any body suggest some home remedies which i cna give her before travel or how to avoid it

2. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

my DS has it too.. he does not vomit when he is city travel in our car.. but for long drives/ hill rides in a diesel car, both me and my DS have this travel sickness.

like how adults (I do) take a tablet to avoid vomiting.. there is a syrup for kids.. please check with your pead for the right medicine for your child.. but I give Domstal or Vomikind. again there is no gaurantee that they will not vomit but 95% they will not. Make sure you do not feed her atleast 30 min to 1 hr before travel and nothing during the travel. Keep her in upright position while sitting and let her get enough breeze.. that has helped my DS apart from these tonics.

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

This is a regular problem. Even I do, when travelling by road. But not by air /train.So most of the times I avoid travelling by road.
    Thanks Arthi for the medicine names, next time I will chk with paed.

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Priya, our (mine and DS) problem will seem wierd. we do not have any problems in the train, our petrol car, sitting in front seat in 4 wheeler (again petrol), etc. we cannot tolerate hill drives, Air travel :((

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

That would be my DH and DPiL too. They wont have it if they are driving or in the front seat. The other thing that works for DH is chewing on a salty "narthangai" pickle or ginger lozenge.
    I am a little intrigued by why you do not have it with petrol vehicles, but only diesel vehicles. Is that because you need to constantly shift down gears for diesel when you are going uphill?
    I am anticipating the same problem for DS too = given how like his father and grandfather he is. The one time we took him uphill, he was bfing throughout the 30 min ride, so it was easy. We are planning another one before school opens. I will dust up my domstal and keep it ready. Tks for that tip.

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I get severe motion sickness in cars unless I am the one driving. I am not sure about medication since I never use any, but something that works for me is to continuously look outside the car at other moving objects like trees or cars. Looking too long at objects inside the car only adds to the disconnect between the visual perception of motion and the signals from the inner-ear, further aggravating motion sickness. Maybe you could engage your daughter in a game to count trucks or buses etc. and see if that helps.

Certain smells especially those of fuel can worsen nausea but don't have any direct relation with motion sickness itself. Opening the windows and breathing fresh air helps alleviate this problem to some extent.

7. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

tikka, as wierd as it sounds - I meant we get this sickness in diesel vehicle even on the normal roads not only uphill.. we once went on ECR in a friends brand new innova and DS was uncomfortable for a long time.. finally he did the act.. after that he was fine.. it is like a ritual he HAS to do.. then we came to know it was a diesel innova! Luckily I was fine that day.

8. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i wanted to share this info with you all,thought it might help ,i have seen my friends using it and it works wonder.i am not sure if it is available in india,,but please give a try searching

acupressure wrist band for motion sickness
    AD,
    include me with your ds,i hate diesel vehicles and uphill drives,i also feel sick when travelling in the top deck of the double decker buses here:biglaugh,,lately,i have heard amazing reviews about this wrist band and planning to get one soon before our next trip.

aarthi

9. nutty_witty

nutty_witty Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.
    My ped suggested Vomikind for my DD. Now i can manage the travel.
    :)

if any one knows any home med for this????????????????

10. mynt

mynt New IL'ite