1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Voluntary work/Community work on H4?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by deepshikha, Oct 31, 2007.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Hi friends, anyone here doing voluntary work? Where else can i work apart from the library. Please share your experiences. Do we need to make a resume to apply for voluntary work? I completed my masters in literature before i moved here 8 months back. Can someone suggest what kind of voluntary work i can do .I never worked in India so have no experience .Please guide. Thanks

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Re: Anyone on H4 doing voluntary work?

Hi Deepshikha

Apart from libraries you can work in hospitals (in admin and cerical jobs), or you can work as a virtual guide, work at a senior centre. I have myself worked in a hospital. but there is a committment that you have to make, its like for 3 months, and then its mostly 1-2 days in a week...

~Abha

3. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Abha,

Do i need to prepare a resume to apply for voluntary work. Can someone tell what should be included in the resume? Since i have no work experience how can i show that i am the right person for the job? Thanks again.

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey

Let me tell you clearly yaar, you dont have to prove any work experience to work as a volunteer... they dont need a resume... they make you fill out a form, they take interviews... but its for time pass, you get the volunteer job anyways... the work generally involves helping the employees, there wud be no specific work created for you... so dont expect too much. they might give you some Calling work, or data entry work very rarely... you can do it for time pass, and in fact you will get bored of it only in a few weeks... i dont want to dampen your spirits but i just want to tell you not to expect too much so as to be disheartened later...

~Abha

5. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Please check this website for more details.I am working in a Library.One of my friend's wife is assisting a professor in the university.May be you can get some thing you like
    VolunteerMatch: Where Volunteering Begins

Bipasha

6. polkadots

polkadots New IL'ite

Hi,

I have volunteered in the local adult school. Its quite nice. They took me thorugh an initial training of 2 months and at the end of my tenure there, I also will recieve a certificate of completion of the tutoring program. The interview was reall timepass coz they anyways get to know you during the training. I also had to pass a couple of maths tests as i wanted to teach maths.I didnt have to make a resume :)

Pallavi

7. Swati Gharse

Swati Gharse New IL'ite

Hi,

Even I want to get into volunteering so please let me know how you approach these non profit orgainsations and get leads. I checked volunteermatch.com abut most of the companies do not have any current openings, is their any other website that I can check for voluntary positions.

Thanks
    Swati

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

I have volunteered for almot 4-5 years and the best way I have found is to look in your local newspaper. The sunday edition of our local newspaper includes volunteer opprotunities section and based on your interest, you can approach that specific organisation. Hope this helps and yes it is a great way of keeping yourself busy and does add to your resume when you finally begin to search for a job - it did for me.

Good luck.

9. shefali75

shefali75 New IL'ite

Hi ,

i use to live in San Jose and i have friends who are doing their volunteer work in shakara foundation as she mentioned to me. i will call her up this weekend and find out more details but you can do a google search and find out more yourself.

shefali

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have worked as a volunteer in a hospital, university research lab and also in senior community center..
    For hospital, they asked me to fill out the form and meet them later. U can work in any dept as u wish in hospital and work for 1 or 2 days a week as Abha said.

I preferred University as it matched with my qualification, i waned to work there, i was helping out doing some techniques in that research lab which was so useful to me, and for that pepared resume, kept on sending to various univeristies and this particular university where i was working, she asked me for references, mailed to those reference people which i gave to enquire abt me,as thou they take me for job!!!!!!!! and then my professor where i was working here as a volunteer took a personal interview... then only i joined the lab..

Senior center is never a problem, u r just going to help them, so they actually thank u for that.

Hope this helps..

Good luck
    San